Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Czech Republic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lot's of cotton wool for Keane and Dunne hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What happens if one or two of the midfielders get injured in the last couple of weeks of the league? We end up having to bring in players, like McClean, who will have no experience of playing in the set up required. It is pathetically stupid to not bring in a few of the fringe players for the warm up games - we know what the first 11 will be and we know what they can do, same of the consistent backups to them, we need to see the players outside of the probably 23 get some game time and experience.

I agree with this. We already know what the established group can do. They qualified us. Use these friendlies to test out the promising unknowns. That way if injury strikes, they are familiar with the setup and exactly what trap wants from them.

Going with the same old same old in friendlies is a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

That_Guy wrote: »
    So you wouldn't mind stepping aside for a young lad to take your place even though you've played every minute of every game in the run up to the Euro's?

Did i say that??

The regulars who have done well deserve their spot but there is names in that squad who do not play regular football and who are massively out of form. Why do they deserve more chances??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

AGC wrote: »
    Did i say that??

Nope. Just a hypothetical scenario really.
    The regulars who have done well deserve their spot but there is names in that squad who do not play regular football and who are massively out of form. Why do they deserve more chances??

I've criticised the team selection before but despite not being chosen for their respective squads, maybe... Just maybe Trap sees a lot of hard work going on in training behind the scenes that we don't see.

McClean is a flash in the pan at the moment. I doubt Trap had any intention of bringing him in just yet. He's on a good run of form at the moment but has only played a handful of games for Sunderland.

I don't think sticking him in against Spain or Italy would be a great help to his progress either to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

he should have brought in a few new faces just to freshen things a bit.....otherwise complacency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Not bothered about him leaving out McClean he won't start anyway, but that will be the squad going to the euros more than likely minus 1 player who probably be a striker. Cox seems guaranteed to go so things mightn't look great for Shane Loing which would be a disastrous decision.
    He'll bring those 5 forwards for sure considering we play a system with 2 upfront. If we brought only 4 forwards, then injuries/suspensions to 2 of the forwards going into the last group game (which is not totally unlikely) would leave us with no backup forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Nope. Just a hypothetical scenario really.

I've criticised the team selection before but despite not being chosen for their respective squads, maybe... Just maybe Trap sees a lot of hard work going on in training behind the scenes that we don't see.

McClean is a flash in the pan at the moment. I doubt Trap had any intention of bringing him in just yet. He's on a good run of form at the moment but has only played a handful of games for Sunderland.

I don't think sticking him in against Spain or Italy would be a great help to his progress either to be honest.

He has to take a risk, we will be up against it in all 3 group games. McClean is the form player, let him play against the Czechs to prove himself.

His 'Flash in the pan' could continue and he could get better, why take the chance on leaving him out for a run of the mill player??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Vokes wrote: »
    He'll bring those 5 forwards for sure considering we play a system with 2 upfront. If we brought only 4 forwards, then injuries/suspensions to 2 of the forwards going into the last group game (which is not totally unlikely) would leave us with no backup forward.

Many teams go with 4 though. I know we don't have a midfielder who can really cover attack but its hard to imagine we'll play two out and out strikers anyway I'd say Doyle will play off Keane against the Spanish and Italians. If worst came to worst Duff could cover this role. Just can't see who else he'd leave out? McCarthy possibly which would be a very poor decision, but he'll pick Fahey regardless I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

He has never deviated from the 2 out-and-out forwards (open to correction on this) and can't see him changing even against Spain/Italy. Fully expect it to be those 5 forwards going, with Keane + 1 other to start obviously. He'll leave out Fahey or Coleman for Euros I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I disagree somewhat. Yes friendlies are important in terms of blooding in new players and trying out various tactics but not when we've only got three games to prepare for a tournament.

The tactics that McClean knows at Sunderland are quite different to that of Trap's. He'll learn in time but I think three games before we play the likes of Spain and Italy is too little time to prepare in my opinion.

I want to see new players being introduced as much as the next guy but I'm content with what we have at our disposal for now.

I'm the opposite. 3 games, including the training sessions involved and the training camp in Poland is plenty of time for a player to learn how trap plays. It's not a complicated way we play. If he doesn't perform as the manager asks in training or the friendlies, fine, don't bring him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but they are also men. Men who will be asked to go out in three successive games in a short space of time against opponents who are technically and athletically superior to them from 1 - 11. And they will be asked to make a fist of it each time, to close that technical / athletic gap through passion, pride and determination alone.

A settled camp with an element of siege mentality about it will help to achieve that. A sense that the players in the squad are the people to earn this shot will help to achieve that. A shared experience of previous disappointments will help to achieve that. A sense that extraordinary effort on the pitch will be repaid in faith and loyalty from the manager will help to achieve that.

This is not a run of the mill premiership side. This is something a lot more important - and complex - than that.

I completely agree that we need a united and committed squad and a settled camp helps in that regard. But the odd change here and there would not interfere with that.

Trap has already introduced new players to the squad and moved other players out of it over time. I cannot agree with the idea that it has to be a closed shop in order to get passionate effort out of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pro. F wrote: »
    I completely agree that we need a united and committed squad and a settled camp helps in that regard. But the odd change here and there would not interfere with that.

Trap has already introduced new players to the squad and moved other players out of it over time. I cannot agree with the idea that it has to be a closed shop in order to get passionate effort out of the players.

Quite an organic process though, wasn't it? If McClean is still playing like this in the premiership in 18 months time he will be an Irish regular by that stage, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

If McClean is still playing like this in the premiership in 18 months time he will be an Irish regular by that stage, no doubt.

What if he is still playing like this come May and Trap hasn't brought him into any of the prevailing friendly squads? Does he still decide not to bring a young, in-form winger who could add something different than our other present wingers? Or does he then decide to bring in a player who had no experience at this level or with in the set up?
    No one is expecting him to suddenly be commanding a starting role in the senior team. But to exclude what could be a very useful resource from having any involvement in the preparation or friendly game itself is very naive on Traps part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Quite an organic process though, wasn't it? If McClean is still playing like this in the premiership in 18 months time he will be an Irish regular by that stage, no doubt.

Yes it was an organic process. And I'm not against keeping a fair bit of consistency in the team in friendlies so they can practice and focus as a team. But there has to be a balance struck and Trap's squad selection is just far more conservative than it needs to be. Having some competition for squad places and starting positions is not going to harm the commitment of the players.

Just to be clear, I'm not calling for McClean to be starting in this friendly. I think that since he is obviously so good that he should have been introduced to the squad before now anyway. And arguing about the inclusion of individual players in the starting line up can only go so far when I disagree with Trap's long term decisions in forming the team.
    But I do think McClean should be called up to the squad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Now isn't the time for McClean to be called up. With the Euros so close, the team that's playing that tournament need any opportunity they can get to play together. Can see him being introduced after the Euros tho. Plenty of time for the guy to get games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Trapattoni has spoken to McClean since he announced squad.
    Has also said there are 4 or 5 names he has in mind but won't include now because it is too soon... we can imagine who they may be.. anyway hopeful for those looking for new blood after euros

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/trapattoni-we-have-no-time-to-change-539368.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

the manager has a responsibility to select the best players available to him
    Like Steve Staunton did? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Given, Westwood, Forde, O’Shea, Kelly, Ward, Dunne, St. Ledger, O’Dea, Foley, Whelan, McCarthy, Coleman, Andrews, Fahey, Gibson, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Keane, Doyle, Long, Cox, Walters.
    Interesting that out of that squad, only 4 players are in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

With Dunne out for a month,oppurtunity to call up regular Premiership defender Marc Wilson.
    Will Trap call him up,will he Fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Duffy called up to replace Dunne

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

nordydan wrote: »
    It goes against Traps usual modus operandus but I am glad that he has given the young lad a chance. Shane is a bright hope for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

With Dunne out for a month

They're saying he's out for 8 weeks now, undergoing surgery today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Anyone know how ticket sales are going for this one?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

nordydan wrote: »

Is Clarke injured as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Anyone know how ticket sales are going for this one?

Seem to be ok. Tickets are €20 in the upper stands for adults and €10 for kids which is pretty decent value to be fair.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

sugarman wrote: »
    Yep, knee ligiments in training during the week. Out for awhile.

Ah right. Was wondering why he didn't get the nod ahead of Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Sleger/O'Dea to start then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

G.K. wrote: »
    Sleger/O'Dea to start then?

Or cud go with Kelly O'Shea St Ledg Ward which is more likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Oh yeah, forgot O'Shea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

sugarman wrote: »
    They were €20/10 all round last week for awhile!

Still a good few left, id say 70% sold so far.

This is what they should have been doing for the Cup of nations last year.

My mate got us a €50 quid ticket each...

It's on level 4. Is that like a private box, or something?

Advertisement