Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Income Tax on UK Imports

• 23-08-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all

I am planning on taking up an old hobby in a bit more of a serious way, which was bringing in a car or two to sell from the UK. This time however they would be to sell on to make a few extra quid. Times being what they are I, like everyone no doubt am looking at how ends can be met

I want to make sure it does not cause me any problems with the tax man, so want to pay whatever I am liable for. Does anyone know what tax I should be paying, and how it is returned etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Income tax on the profits. Keep proper records therefore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

But presumably if you bought a car in for personal use ;) but after a few weeks decided you didnt like it and sold it on there would be no tax liability.They do keep watch on this though, so Id say after a few sales, they might be writing to you. If it was only two or three a year, Id say you'd be OK

Less than 5 a year and you are happy out revenue wise I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Think it's closer to more than two a year and the revenue will be asking questions. The last time I re-registered a car, it said something to that effect on the form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there is also the aspect that you'd have to register the car in Ireland before offering for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think you have to provide your PPSI number now when VRTing a car so that Revenue can keep tabs on how many cars are being imported by an individual in a certain length of time.

Best of luck but to be honest OP, I think you have missed the gravy train on selling UK imports here at a profit, have a look at the likes of Donedeal and see how many UK reg cars are for sale on there and how old the ads are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hoarder wrote: »
    Hi all

I am planning on taking up an old hobby in a bit more of a serious way, which was bringing in a car or two to sell from the UK. This time however they would be to sell on to make a few extra quid. Times being what they are I, like everyone no doubt am looking at how ends can be met

I want to make sure it does not cause me any problems with the tax man, so want to pay whatever I am liable for. Does anyone know what tax I should be paying, and how it is returned etc?

Thanks

Depending on you current income/tax band in could be over 50%, income tax/levy/pay of banks levy, of any profit. Can't see anyone making much money on 2nd hand cars to make it worth your their while.

Advertisement