Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So now it's drinking coolant no end...

• 23-08-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭

Some of you will know my woe-ridden car of old at this stage, I've complained about it so much.

04 Vectra, 1.6 Petrol - and she's flying through coolant. I could fill it up today and there'd be a warning light in under a week.

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of possible causes? Have looked for a leak, no stains under the car, no tears in the hoses, etc. Mixing it right, about 50/50 too. Can't really afford to have it left in again this time, so a little advice would (once again) be much appreciated :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If there is no obvious leak then unfortunatly I don't think you have much choice other to bring it somewhere to be properly diagnosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Have you starting issues?

Have you checked the oil for mayo and discolouration?

Is the warning light temp or low level triggered?
    If it's temp triggered top up more often to avoid it coming on.
    Also can you quantify how much it takes once the light comes on in litres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

johnos1984 wrote: »

Have you checked the oil for mayo and discolouration?

Might be worth checking this ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nforce wrote: »
    Might be worth checking this ^^

And have a look in the expansion tank for white bits and a film of oil. Oh yeah, and smell the exhaust for antifreeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The warning light I'm 99% sure is quantity triggered, every time it comes on the level is way below the line in the expansion tank. We're talking about 200ml plus the same again in water needed each time I top it up.

There doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in the tank and no obvious leaks as I said. Not gonna go sniffing the exhaust, cheers ;)

I got some blue coolant today in Halfords (using orange at present) and had to mix them as the level was critically low. What I reckon may have happened is I bought the wrong type before, as that's when it started drinking it. I thought what was in the car since purchase a year ago was orange, and that's what I put in - but maybe it was pink and the seals have burst (according to the Halfords lad).

How easy is it for me to drain the system myself and start anew, or check the seals for any leaks? I did notice today that the expansion cap didn't bubble as I took it off - something it used to do - even though the engine had been running recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The warning light I'm 99% sure is quantity triggered, every time it comes on the level is way below the line in the expansion tank. We're talking about 200ml plus the same again in water needed each time I top it up.

There doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in the tank and no obvious leaks as I said. Not gonna go sniffing the exhaust, cheers ;)

I got some blue coolant today in Halfords (using orange at present) and had to mix them as the level was critically low. What I reckon may have happened is I bought the wrong type before, as that's when it started drinking it. I thought what was in the car since purchase a year ago was orange, and that's what I put in - but maybe it was pink and the seals have burst (according to the Halfords lad).

How easy is it for me to drain the system myself and start anew, or check the seals for any leaks? I did notice today that the expansion cap didn't bubble as I took it off - something it used to do - even though the engine had been running recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

After you top up again check for leaks with the radiator/coolant tank caps off. There could be a little leak small enough to hold the coolant in until air is able to get in else where or the system is under pressure.
    This happened me a few years ago with a clio I had. Turned out there was a small leak past the seals in the water pump behind the timing belt cover. Couldn't see at at all when parked up until I took the cap of the coolant tank.
    Best of luck.

If you have mixed OAT (red, orange or pink) with the two year stuff (blue) you'd want to drain it. Not difficult, you'll have to drain the rad loop and the engine loop, when the stat is closed they are separate loops.

If you are losing 400 ml a week for a good while and it hasn't gotten worse you might just have a leak from somewhere.

Although it may have got a cooking too.

Advertisement