Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here, part 3 (Quote A Photo, GET A 24 HOUR BAN!!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Quazzie wrote: »
    Whats the title of the thread you are posting in?

Ì'm messing it's gone, big hiccup in my head earlier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

1240187_4730347875020_1529273595_n.jpg

Just found this, some of my previous cars. I do wonder where some of those cars are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

and what's the favourite? i'd pick that focus anyday..

Probably my K10 Micra, or an EF Civic hatchback I had.

I tend to just buy interesting(to me) old ****e, and I like that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Kaiser D wrote: »

I had one of them civics and I absolutely loved it.. Little nippy yoke it was lol.. Just aren't many clean ones left out there :o

What engine size was the focus? I'v a 1.6 atm. Love it's interior and exterior but it's a bit slow for my liking...

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    I had one of them civics and I absolutely loved it.. Little nippy yoke it was lol.. Just aren't many clean ones left out there :o

What engine size was the focus? I'v a 1.6 atm. Love it's interior and exterior but it's a bit slow for my liking...

The Focus was 1.4.

I've driven the 1.6 Focus, I thought it was fairly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Kaiser D wrote: »

Id have that silver mb2 civic in your pics above. Yes they looked sh&te but they were great underrated cars. Not popular with boy racers either so plenty of un abused ones about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Jasus Kaiser a few mk1 and 2 Puntos, respect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mmmmm Seicentos :D

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Id have that silver mb2 civic in your pics above. Yes they looked sh&te but they were great underrated cars. Not popular with boy racers either so plenty of un abused ones about.

486660_4175944975294_478566884_n.jpg

A nice un-abused example. Was tipping on 200k when I got rid of it.
    rizzee wrote: »
    Jasus Kaiser a few mk1 and 2 Puntos, respect :D

Cheers, really like Punto's. Have had my fair share!

296729_3177876544207_648539943_n.jpg
    (I was young and stupid :o)
    545572_2550387937384_747965991_n.jpg
    394197_2215423763489_1787713223_n.jpg
    dgt wrote: »
    Mmmmm Seicentos :D
    182311_4157200626697_963597863_n.jpg

This was a cracking little beast. Have had a few others but this all I can find atm :o

The photos are from facebook so forgive the odd sizes of each.

• Advertisement

Was that 5dr 98 sx lowered? :D

Was that 5dr 98 sx lowered? :D

No. I just have heavy friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Those Puntos... no offence were ugly :D

Is it me or did everyone at some point have a Fiat? I had a Punto Sporting, lovely yokes to go and they just kept on going :) miss my yellow one now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I never owned a Fiat. My first car was a 1.3 Honda Civic, forget the year but the ones with the cool boot door. Then a 1.4i Civic. Old postvan for a while, Opel vectra 1.6, Toyota carina-e 1.6, Ford Focus 1.6 and Mitsubishi Mirage.

Fiats are very underated and have a bad name....keep them serviced and don't drive them hard you'll be flying!! Same as most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fiats are very underated and have a bad name....keep them serviced and don't drive them hard you'll be flying!! Same as most things.

For late 90s fiats that I had (146, brava, punto) I don't agree 100% with that. Sure I went through my share of gearboxes (not gonna mention mechanical stuff here) but I had a lot of stuff break that wasn't down to me, sunroof mechanism, central locking, rear wiper, front wipers, bonnet pull, windows closing outside the frame, foggy headlights, electric power steering fault, seat height adjuster gradually dropping seat down, lots more.

They seem to have upped their game with the panda and grande punto but tbh I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend the earlier ones.

In contrast
    I had 2 mitsubishi fto daily drivers that absolutely nothing went wrong on despite having the balls driven off them, the avensis was faultless bar a starter motor, civic has been a1 in the year I've had it too as have the many mazdas and toyotas that have been in the family.

So yes, minding a fiat is a good idea, but in my experience doesn't mean nothing will go wrong. I didn't buy the fiats for reliability any way, they looked good relative to the competition and they were cheap (despite this they ended up costing a lot in depreciation)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

My first was a Fiat Punto. What a machine!!!! 1.2l engine in a car that light was ridiculous!!! It'll always be my first love! :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

i drove a Mk 1 punto at once when I was about 17. From reading this thread maybe it was a bad example but it put me off fiats for life. I'd a citreon AX myself at the time and it felt like an awful underpowered tank of a yolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Don't drive them hard?
    Well ****... What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I actually learnt to drive (well, the basics) in a Fiat Punto. Guy who owns it has had is clutch and gearbox go in it since buying it. sub 100k miles on it and he wouldn't really drive it hard at all.
    Not a fan of the older shaped Puntos. New ones are lovely though.

• Advertisement

I never owned a Fiat. My first car was a 1.3 Honda Civic, forget the year but the ones with the cool boot door. Then a 1.4i Civic. Old postvan for a while, Opel vectra 1.6, Toyota carina-e 1.6, Ford Focus 1.6 and Mitsubishi Mirage.
    That would be the EG 1991-1996 Civic. Brilliant little cars they were. Unfortunately most have fallen into the wrong hands at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

CianRyan wrote: »
    Don't drive them hard?
    Well ****... What's the point?

Yeah was wondering that myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Aren't the Mark 1 Punto's the first to have ever put the tail lights in a vertical position? If yes then it was quite revolutionary at the time.
    Many cars used it afterwards and some still do

Having had Fiats for years I can say that only 1 was a complete lemon (a Bravo I ended up writing off)

I used to push those cars to their limits quite regurarly (young ang foolish) and they were great fun. Always served me well, always started up in the morning, always could rely on them. How come I could achieve this?

My old Seicento would be regurarly pushed hard down the motorways

However, one does get tired of buying in cars and having to undo the damage caused by lack of maintenance. The blue van was the limit altogether

They were crap in the 70s. They wouldn't be a bad car if people minded them, which no one can seem to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

They wouldn't be a bad car if people minded them, which no one can seem to do
    That's true for K series rovers, for Alfas, for bmws - actually for any car really that is owned in Ireland :P

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

My daily is the DART, but also have this.

First pic is as it looked in the dealer, next is as of now. Made some improvements, my idea of how it should have been out of the Factory. 15mm spacers on the front, 20mm spacers on the rear, alloys, fogs, sports grill, little lip spoiler, subtle rear spoiler, exhaust triangles (instead of the blanks on the 1.4).

Doesnt look so pathetic after those improvements. Improved, but not going to cause hassle being pegged as a boy racer by the Gardai etc.They are all pretty much OEM mods too.

That's true for K series rovers, for Alfas, for bmws - actually for any car really that is owned in Ireland :P
    Hold on a minute, some of these cars have well documented issues. Saying it's true of any car in Ireland is a ridiculous statment Imo. No amount of maintenance will prevent some issues occurring. Imo it's more down to the quality and design of the parts used in some instances.

Issues also occur in uk cars which are religiously maintained and have fsh's so I don't buy this lack of maintenance thing.

(not saying they are a bad car) but for example mk2 fiat puntos suffer from power steering failure and ecu failures. These issues also effect uk cars with a fsh. No amount of maintenance will prevent this from occurring.

The same is true of the k series, hg and cooling issues have been experienced on a widespread scale in the uk as well, even with examples maintained to the best of standards.

While maintenance will prevent some issues, it won't prevent every issue. Some things fail by design and by quality.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Hold on a minute, some of these cars have well documented issues. Saying it's true of any car in Ireland is a ridiculous statment Imo. No amount of maintenance will prevent some issues occurring. Imo it's more down to the quality and design of the parts used in some instances.

Issues also occur in uk cars which are religiously maintained and have fsh's so I don't buy this lack of maintenance thing.

(not saying they are a bad car) but for example mk2 fiat puntos suffer from power steering failure and ecu failures. These issues also effect uk cars with a fsh. No amount of maintenance will prevent this from occurring.

The same is true of the k series, hg and cooling issues have been experienced on a widespread scale in the uk as well, even with examples maintained to the best of standards.

While maintenance will prevent some issues, it won't prevent every issue. Some things fail by design and by quality.

The ecu failures and power steering failures are caused by failing batteries. Some genius at fiat thought it was a great idea to supply those cars with a relatively small battery rather than say a 50ah onwards job.

Don't believe me, look it up or look into it yourselves

Nothing to do with a bad design or quality but a bad decision from day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

First bad decision was to buy a fiat :p

• Advertisement

The ecu failures and power steering failures are caused by failing batteries. Some genius at fiat thought it was a great idea to supply those cars with a relatively small battery rather than say a 50ah onwards job.

Don't believe me, look it up or look into it yourselves

Nothing to do with a bad design or quality but a bad decision from day 1
    Ok fair enough, but that highlights my point. It was fiat's decision to put an underpowered battery into the car.

So for example if you average Joe went and bought a new fiat punto back in the day and had it properly maintained from new. Now a few years later the battery goes all of a sudden(as they sometimes do) brining the ecu or eps with it.

Joe decides not to repair and instead puts the car on done deal as a fixer-upper. Someone in here spots it and posts a link. Another poster then will usually chime in with the Irish lack of maintenance argument without realising it wasn't Joe's fault and rather it was an error on the manufacturer's behalf instead.

Lack of maintenance can cause some issues like a bottom end rattle in a car that hasn't been serviced and is left run low in oil etc, but you don't see much of that in this country.

Imo the Irish lack of maintenance argument is blown way out of proportion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement