Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to bike,can i make it to 200km in june

Options
  • 03-03-2014 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi guys am i mad to even consider this? I bought a hybrid two years ago with the BTW scheme but the bike was just left in the garage until january.I now have the cycling bug and am out roughly two three times a wk.My fitness levels are poor but am up to 25k per cycle now.

There is a charity cycle happening thru work which excites but also scares me.It is roughly 100k one day,stay overnite and cycle back home(different route) the next day.

Is the hybrid the wrong bike for me?I never imagined when getting bike to enjoy it so much and sort of regret not getting a road bike.My brother has one so i mite try his for a while and see can i up the milage
    All suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If you feel comfortable with straight bars, go for it. I have cycled a few 200km rides on a hybrid.

On the other hand, you need to cycle longer distances to tell if it is really comfortable. You may not get pain and/or muscle fatigue on a 25km ride at all, but more than enough if you extend it.

Distance-wise, you can certainly do 2x100km in four months with enough self-motivation. I have started cycling more seriously exactly one year ago and was able to cycle 100km within this time.

Work your way slowly however. Cycle regularly short distances (10-20km) 4-5 times a week. Try to do it with medium effort, to build up your fitness. Consider daily "sport commuting" if you have shower in the office ;)

Once a week go for a longer ride, start with 35km and increase this distance every time by 10km.

On these, try to find your comfortable pace - if you'll notice that cycling i.e. 22km/h average makes you too tired by the end of the day, stick to 20km/h next time. If you find it too easy, try a little bit harder.

It worked for me, hopefully will work for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

A bombproof hybrid is a handy enough thing to have even if you end up getting yourself a sportier bike as well. You won't need a road bike for 2x100 km, but if you've gotten the bug and want to build up to 1x200km or join a club...

You will easily make the distance, just build up to it gradually. Short mid-week rides will get your fitness up and longer, more "touristy" weekend rides (find interesting places to explore or people to visit, take your time, bring your camera along) will get you used to being comfortable on the bike for hours at a time, eating and drinking on the bike, and just generally being able to to organize yourself to get out the door for a long ride without forgetting anything that might turn out to be important (food, water, extra clothes, raingear, tools, tubes, pump, phone, money, keys, ID, map, lights, spare batteries).

You might want to try hill repeats for one of your mid-week training sessions, on gradual hills at first and later maybe on steeper ones. It's a good way to get a feel for an effort level that is hard enough for you to make good progress but not so hard that you can't repeat it on the next hill, and the one after that. The secret to doing 100k two days in a row is not to kill yourself powering over the hills the first day, but to spin over them in a fairly relaxed fashion. How hilly is your 2x100k? It's always an idea to prepare for the specific terrain you want to be able to handle, it'll boost your confidence as well as being good specific preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

As its over 2 days i think you will be able to do this. 100km in one day sounds a-lot but i think if you can bring your spin up to 50 or 60km then you will be able to make the 100km easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

OP - I got a bike back in September through the Bike to Work scheme also. Have mainly just used it for commute every day (20k round trip). Have done a couple of weekend spins 15 to 20k with no problem. I'm happy with how my fitness levels have progressed over the months, but still feel my legs aren't a strong as they could be and it's basically because I haven't pushed beyond the commute distance enough. So last Saturday I went out and did a 30k spin which I found tough enough in the wind, but managed ok.

Saturday just gone I did 50k which was no bother as there was no wind and no mad inclines. If someone said to me today would I go on a 100k cycle next week and then return the 100k next day I know I wouldn't be able for it. Another month or two or doing 50k plus on a Saturday in addition to a modified, longer daily commute (maybe 15 to 20k) I think I'd be well on for it.

Ultimately, you need to listen to your body carefully and don't push too hard, too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Do you have any idea what the routes will be and how hilly they are? As you increase your distance, you'll need some extra kit for comfort. Keep an eye on the Aldi and Lidl catalogues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

No Pants wrote: »
    As you increase your distance, you'll need some extra kit for comfort.

I was thinking this, too. You have three contact points with the bike - saddle, bars and pedals. So that's three places where it can all go horribly wrong and you can get sore or numb.

Padding can help - either on you (shorts, gloves, supportive shoes) or on the bike (ergo-bar grips on the hybrid that are the right size for your hands, a saddle that's a good fit.)

Also remember that your elbows and knees are your built-in suspension - if you keep them flexed they will work as shock-absorbers.

Advertisement