Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micra won't start.

• 20-02-2013 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Mother in laws 00 micra wouldn't start today again, its an ongoing issue.
    Starts perfectly with jump leads.
    The battery was replaced at christmas.
    Sometimes when you try the ignition, its totally dead, other times it tries to tick over.
    It is only used for short journeys which I know is a problem.
    Is it as simple as taking it for a 20min drive 1 time in 4?
    She is totaly broke and I know nothing about cars.
    Opinions on probable causes besides taking it for a long run?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

Sounds like alternator could be fecked..you could get one in scrap yard for about 30e and fit yourself its not a big job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

shooter88 wrote: »
    Sounds like alternator could be fecked..you could get one in scrap yard for about 30e and fit yourself its not a big job

Is it possible to diagnose a faulty alternator without bringing the car to a garage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

dobsdave wrote: »
    Is it possible to diagnose a faulty alternator without bringing the car to a garage?

you have to have voltmeter , while engine running, need to check what charge gives out .. has to be 14.4 ish v.

there is other way, not recommended though, but while engine running, disconnect battery, if it still run and revs ok, then not alternator, but if after disconnecting battery it dies , so ... then it is alternator fault.

check is any warning lights on dash, while idling ,,, look like lil battery. .. that shows alternator fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

As above, Measure voltage with car not running and running.

Approx 12v not running and approx 14v running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

As above, Measure voltage with car not running and running.

Approx 12v not running and approx 14v running.

Have a 98 micra, sim problem to you...it could be where the spark plug leads go into a cover to provide current...cant think of name....follow where plug. leads go...all. 4 go into a black plastic covered case...open as carbon builds up on connectors causing problem with starting...think its called rocker and rotor...common. fault on old micras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

grange mac wrote: »
    Have a 98 micra, sim problem to you...it could be where the spark plug leads go into a cover to provide current...cant think of name....follow where plug. leads go...all. 4 go into a black plastic covered case...open as carbon builds up on connectors causing problem with starting...think its called rocker and rotor...common. fault on old micras

Distributor?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I remember a problem my mum had with hers. When going a very short distance fuel pump would pimp to much in. So taking out the fuse for the pump would allow us to start it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

TheChizler wrote: »

Distributor?...

Distributor cap!!! Thank you. Have invoice from nissan and think cap was 20 & rotor was 45....gave to mechanic bro to put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Is there any alarm on it? Immobiliser may be preventing it from turning over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

If it starts everytime with jump leads then its a battery/charging issue. The short journeys won't help at all, does she use the rear window demister/lights/fan etc. as these will suck power from the battery (just how short is a journey?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

grange mac wrote: »

Recently i was working on my mates micra '97, same issue, hard start, a specially when after big rain , there was problem with distributer cap and rotor alright, but also there was some oil leak in to distributer, which caused some high voltage generation fault.
    easy way was just change distributer itself, i had one spare, after i change it, micra started on first starter turnover. i think you can get them 30 -50 quid in working order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try those and get back to ye,

Cheers

Advertisement