Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailer in Galway area?

• 12-09-2012 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good detailer in the Galway area? Ideally close to Galway City but I'll travel a bit further for someone good. I need to get some paint recovery done on a car with some fairly bad paint abrasions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Mods: You can close this if you want. I've reposted in the main Motors forum as I'm getting too few views here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Reason for so little views is because nobody knows of a Detailer in Galway!

I reckon you'll have to travel a bit to get a Detailer, other than someone who does it for a hobby!

I know there probably aren't too many people doing it full time outside of the Dublin area. I just don't have time to cross the entire country looking for someone to take a look at the damage and make a call on whether detailing will bring it back to a good finish.

If I just bring it to someone this side of the country who does paintwork rather than recovery they'll probably just say it needs a respray.

If you post up some good pictures, I'll be able to give you an idea of what can and can't be sorted by a detail.

Thanks. I'll have to wait until I have some sunlight to take some decent pictures of the affected areas. I've attached a shot of one side of the car but it doesn't really show the detail.

An idiot got paint droplets on my car then tried to rub them off with a rag after they had dried. They've rubbed two months of pretty heavy grime into the surface of the paint leaving groups of long straight scratches all over it.

• Advertisement

Given the description of how the damage occurred, I'd be fairly confident that the affected areas could be returned to normal from a good detail.
    Get some more decent pics...direct sunlight if possible.

I'll upload some photos taken in the morning sun.

...and some more.

...and some more.

The first seven images are of behind the driver's door which has been washed twice with a micro fibre mitt and a decent shampoo since the incident. The rest are of the bonnet area which has been left untouched.

Looks like it was washed with a brillo pad! :o

But, judging by those photos, Im confident a detailer would have no issues getting 95% or more correction...you might be left with an odd deeper scratch, but the harsh edges would be rounded and it would be less obvious. Its a daily driver, so I certainly wouldn't be going to a painter with that relatively minor damage.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I reckon a lot of those deeper scratches would look less bad if their paint residue inside them was removed with the right product. I'll have to go and find a detailer who'll quote me a reasonable price for the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Would you consider giving it a go yourself OP? There's no big voodoo involved- all you need is a DA polisher, some polish, and a lot of patience!
    Somebody like Larry down in cleancar.ie would sort you out with the gear and put you straight on how to go about it.
    It's definitely not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

There is a place beside Regans in Clonboo on the Headford road that take on this sort of work. Done a lovely job on one of my mates Mercedes-Benz. Might be worth checking them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

brembo26 wrote: »
    There is a place beside Regans in Clonboo on the Headford road that take on this sort of work. Done a lovely job on one of my mates Mercedes-Benz. Might be worth checking them out.

They do detailing ?

I thought it was just a valeting service, i got my car washed there last week

They do detailing ?

I thought it was just a valeting service, i got my car washed there last week

I know they don't advertise the service but they do, you have to ask.

Unfortunately there is only 2 or so of them working there so you will have to leave it with them for about half the day because of people coming in for car washes at the same time. They done a great job though!

And no its not my business, nor do I have any affiliation with the business :p

They should advertise it if they are any good as there are feck all places in the west doing it

Been looking for a place to get a detail done and alloys refurbed in the west for ages

True, I think they are in the process of getting leaflets done up to be delivered around the city.

brembo26 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is only 2 or so of them working there so you will have to leave it with them for about half the day because of people coming in for car washes at the same time. They done a great job though!

A car can't be detailed in half a day....let alone having to wash other cars at the same time.
    Takes about two people, two hours, to prep a car for polishing. Wash, rinse, de-tar, rinse, de-ironise (optional, but advisable), rinse, clay, re-wash and dry.
    Although, if your Edd China, you'd go straight at it with a mop!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Curran wrote: »
    A car can't be detailed in half a day....let alone having to wash other cars at the same time.
    Takes about two people, two hours, to prep a car for polishing. Wash, rinse, de-tar, rinse, de-ironise (optional, but advisable), rinse, clay, re-wash and dry.
    Although, if your Edd China, you'd go straight at it with a mop orbital sander!! :p

Fixed :pac:

Haven't heard of anyone really reputable in galway for detailing.

The search continues !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Galway city has a population of over 75000 people.

26881330.jpg

Do ya see where I'm goin with this?.....

This is why im saying if they are anyways good they should start to advertise and build up a reputation, my paint and alloys need some serious TLC tbh and i don't fancy going halfway across the country with a 1-2 day wait to get my car back

...i don't fancy going halfway across the country with a 1-2 day wait to get my car back

TBH, most detailers work by themselves and for a proper paint correction, even a one stage correction, some detailers will want the car for two days anyways, so you could be without your car for 2 days, no matter if you get a detailer in Galway or not.
    You could make a night of it, if you have a missus or a few mates that would be up for staying a night!

You could possibily get the work done in one very long day, but it would cost you a bit more! Also, mean that you'd be up very early and late home, but it would be one day.....provided you werent expecting a full correction of the paint work!

Curran wrote: »
    TBH, most detailers work by themselves and for a proper paint correction, even a one stage correction, some detailers will want the car for two days anyways, so you could be without your car for 2 days, no matter if you get a detailer in Galway or not.
    You could make a night of it, if you have a missus or a few mates that would be up for staying a night!

You could possibily get the work done in one very long day, but it would cost you a bit more! Also, mean that you'd be up very early and late home, but it would be one day.....provided you werent expecting a full correction of the paint work!

I just mean in general tbh, regardless i will be bringing car up to ye in the spring for a looksee and a chat, until then just gonna plastidip my wheels and get the 3-4 dents sorted when i get the time

^^^
    What ya drive??

Focus ST, put some pics up on Detailing site last month i think.

Had some random guy come into work who parked his 09 Focus RS right beside mine (gave me fat sister syndrome) and he comes up to me saying, hey i seen that car on the interwebz :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I was going to ask the same question - so no detailers in Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google suggest www.vbtdetailing.com
    Don't know if good but could be worth a shot if you're stuck.

Advertisement