Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps3 repair turnaround time

Options
  • 13-12-2008 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi

My PS3 decided to brick itself during an update so Sony sent somebody around 2 days ago (11th Dec) to collect it. I'm wondering how long will it take before I get it back ?

Thanks

Comments

I had mine back in two working days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mine was collected on a Tueday, replacement delivered on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

were all your machines less than a year old.
    Mine only out of warranty and it has died

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    were all your machines less than a year old.
    Mine only out of warranty and it has died

No mine was 13 months old. Ring Sony - Look for the "Bluray of death" thread, and it gives contact numbers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Thanks guys. That's not too bad then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

I rang them yesterday and they told me to return it to the store.
    He said it would be chargeable if I sent it to them.

My issue is when I turn it on the fan goes really noisey for about 10 seconds and turns itself off.

The thing is it has plenty ventilation for air flow around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Just to answer that question, I got a PS3 back today just now. I called them a week ago (Dec 9th 2008), they sent somebody around to collect it (Dec 11th) and I got it back today (Dec 16th).

All in all good service. I even got another controller in the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blocman

My PS3 got the yellow light of death or whatever. I live in Cavan. Will Sony take my PS3 even if its warranty has expired. And by expired I mean waaaay expired

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Blocman wrote: »
    My PS3 got the yellow light of death or whatever. I live in Cavan. Will Sony take my PS3 even if its warranty has expired. And by expired I mean waaaay expired

Is it a launch model 60GB?

If yes, you might get it replaced for free if you're nice on the phone;)

My 60GB launch model bought on release day broke down out of warranty and they replaced it for free, i just had to pay postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blocman

Well im not entirely sure cos i got it as a present. My guess would be that it was a launch model. Its 60GB. Would the fact that it was purchased in the U.S make a difference ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'd say so, it makes it region 1 and can't play Europe dvd's.

So Sony can't fix it and send it out to another customer in Europe.

Blocman wrote: »
    Would the fact that it was purchased in the U.S make a difference ?

They probably won't want anything to do with it I'm afraid, but ring them up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭bongotime

are you guys serious a couple of days and you get it back really ?

bongotime wrote: »
    are you guys serious a couple of days and you get it back really ?

Yes. You send your faulty PS3 to a depot in Dublin and they send you one back. It doesn't take long at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 zyggy32

I hate to be Joining this Thread, I got the YLOD with my Tigerwoods10 stuck inside will let you know how I get on:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

zyggy32 wrote: »
    I hate to be Joining this Thread, I got the YLOD with my Tigerwoods10 stuck inside will let you know how I get on:eek:

Try your best to turn it on and hit eject immediately. If doesn't work I'm afraid its stuck in it.
    Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Is it a launch model 60GB?

If yes, you might get it replaced for free if you're nice on the phone;)

My 60GB launch model bought on release day broke down out of warranty and they replaced it for free, i just had to pay postage.

I found this very surprising, they didn't offer me anything like this and have mine a long time and its 60GB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

My bloody 60GB unit is after dying now!!!

I rang Sony and looked into getting it repaired but they told me they don't do repairs, only replacements. Is this true?

If I send in my 60GB unit, will I get a 60GB replacement back or a newer non-PS2 compatible version back?

Went to Game where I bought it... THey more or less told me to [EMAIL="f@ck"]F**K[/EMAIL] off ..... Rang Sony I told them that my Ps3 was not booting up and the disc was stuck,they said it will cost 160 EUR for repairs.

Do they just replace it or repair it........It's b***lix as most TV's last 10 years or more and are cheaper than the 60 Gig... Does anyone know anything about this EU Law of warranty under 2 years?????

ongarite wrote: »
    My bloody 60GB unit is after dying now!!!

I rang Sony and looked into getting it repaired but they told me they don't do repairs, only replacements. Is this true?

If I send in my 60GB unit, will I get a 60GB replacement back or a newer non-PS2 compatible version back?

Same here ongarite, you'll more than likely get a 80GB version that cant run PS2 discs. Happened to me on Saturday night.

What did Sony say to you?

Wnt to Gamew where I bought it... THey more or less told me to [EMAIL="f@ck"]F**K[/EMAIL] off ..... Rang Sony I told them that my Ps3 was not booting up and the disc was stuck,they said it will cost 160 EUR for repairs.

Do they just replace it or repair it........It's b***lix as most TV's last 10 years or more and are cheaper than the 60 Gig... Does anyone know anything about this EU Law of warranty under 2 years?????

They replace it using the place you bought it from.

I rang Sony and they said it would be €168 for a replacement. I then mentioned to Gamestop the Eu law thing and he said you are entitled to replacement, repair or refund.

But its the person who offers this (Gamestop) has to choose whats the best course of action for the consumer and guess what they pick he €168 replacement.

• Advertisement

Do you get a completely new Console then or a refurbished one??? I know that it wont be a 60 Gig as my one is really b'llixed the Drive is not working... Managed to get the Tiger Woods disc out of the Blue Ray player at least that something was out of warranty anyway ....:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

Do you get a completely new Console then or a refurbished one??? I know that it wont be a 60 Gig as my one is really b'llixed the Drive is not working... Managed to get the Tiger Woods disc out of the Blue Ray player at least that something was out of warranty anyway ....:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

You get a new one I think,but if you don't have warranty it'll cost ya €160

Flecktarn wrote: »
    You get a new one I think,but if you don't have warranty it'll cost ya €160

At least that is something... It is out of waranty unfortunately but as important as a left leg LOL unfortunately I am out of work too..... Such is
    life

Thanks for your help

I got a refurbished 60gb model, I was lucky though as there were still some in circulation when my one died.

I got a refurbished 60gb model, I was lucky though as there were still some in circulation when my one died.

How long has that lasted for you ..... I am a bit wary of the Refurbished ones... Could break quicker however I haven't any option lol

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How long has that lasted for you ..... I am a bit wary of the Refurbished ones... Could break quicker however I haven't any option lol
    Or, on the flipside, the faulty component might be replaced with a superior one?

byte wrote: »
    Or, on the flipside, the faulty component might be replaced with a superior one?

Very true, I just think that something like this should last as long as a TV for example..... Especially when they are so expensive in the first place. I bought for arounsd EUR 600 at the time,

A bit of advice I think I know how mine broke.... Typically they say a PS3 should be standing on its side. I had mine flat on its base. Decided to move it the other day to on its side whilst it was quite warm..... Reckon the solder slid then :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The refurbished one is still going strong. I've had it longer than the original one.

Good to hear ... I miss Warhawk and Tiger Woods 10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

did any of ye have to ring sony to confirm the adress you want your replacement delivered to? i sent mine off on wednsday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement