Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First date etiquet

• 24-07-2014 7:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Its been quite a long time since ive been on a first date and im just curious to know some things probably concidered normal by most. Im usually a quiet enough person and keep myself to my self and maybe ots because my friends arent like most others. What i mean is things like giving a friend a hand shake or a hug or kiss on the cheek etc

When meet ing someone new, a girl iin this case, is it just a hello with a hand shake or is that just awkward? Do you do the kiss on the cheek thing or whats the storrry?

Somewhere along the line I missed out on this and Ive never been told as such. I have some friends who do tje whole hug thing but others who would be more distant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Do whatever your comfortable with.

If you try do something your aren't comfortable, your date will pick up on it.

I had a first date last week and when we met he stood up and gave me a kiss on the cheek. It was really nice and it made me feel really comfortable.

It worked because he was confident in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Don't shake her hand, it's a date not a job interview.

I know this probably won't seem to helpful but you have to judge each situation individually. On some first dates I went for the hug and kiss on the cheek, on others I greeted them with a smile and "Hi it's good for (finally) meet you."

If you have been chatting/texting to her before the date you should be able to sense which approach she would like.

Good luck with the date.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Whatever you do, don't shake her hand unless she offers hers, hopefully she won't. You can't go wrong with a smile and saying hello, then take it from there and relax. She'll probably be as nervous as you. Take the pressure off yourself by having some options in mind, like knowing where there's a quiet pub to talk and one where there's music later if it's going well, or having an idea what's on in the nearest cinema or whatever, just so you don't have to scramble up a plan when you're already a little nervous. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CoolLinen

Definitely a peck on the cheek. I was On a first date not so long ago and that's what we did and people often do that when you meet them for the first time anyway.

Don't shake hands.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Every first date I've been on that was successful,started with a hug or a peck on the cheek. Hand shake is way too formal!

If you're not comfortable with hugs, big smile and say something about how nice it is to meet them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

If you are uncomfortable, make a joke. Maybe they are as uncomfortable as you and a joke will ease you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

In the past when the guy stood and a peck on the cheek, hand on my arm kind of thing, I liked it. Obviously don't forget to smile :-)
    I have to say when guys have asked can I kiss you/can I hug you, I kinda froze. Asking takes away the spontaneity. So I would say don't ask. If in doubt don't do it!
    Also avoid icky stories, one time a guy told me about a crash I think he was in and how his stomach had been cut. That's all I could think of during the date. Too much!
    I could go on more but that's it for now :-)

Advertisement