Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Punctures

• 03-03-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Do you guys fix a puncture or just replace the tube and throw away the old tube. I've heard that the patches don't take very well on the tubes. My tires are 700 x 23c .Any advise would be appreciated thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I use a new tube if I'm on the side of the road, but I'll repair tubes if I can. They're usually fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I replace the tube. I couldn't be bothered with gluing patches. CRC and wiggle often do deals for multiple tubes every so often so I stock up on them. I currently have 8 spare tubes which will hopefully do me a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

I quite enjoy patching tubes for some strange reason! Have only one tube at the moment that's brand new with no patches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭topcat77

Always fix the tubes. I have spare tubes when out, if i have a puncture i change the tube and bring the punctured tube home and fix. There does come a point when you'll have to bin. I tend to buy good quality tubes so can't afford to bin after a puncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On the side of the road I'll always use a new tube unless I've no other choice.

At home I aspire to go and fix the tubes, but sometimes I forget to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    I quite enjoy patching tubes for some strange reason!
    Basin/sinkful of water and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As others, I replace the tube at the side of the road and bring it home and repair it to use it again. I'll only repair a tube at the roadside if I'm unfortunate enough to get a second puncture. I'm always expecting a second 'pinch' puncture as my ALDI short stroke pump is just not able to get the pressure up. I really need to invest in a decent compact pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Two tubes, two CO2 canisters and a CO2 pump. Plus a small box of patches. Some might say that's overkill...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 poddle

I have the CO2 spare tubes etc ..but was just wondering do the repaired tubes stand up to the pressure ...Thanks for the replies !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

No Pants wrote: »
    Two tubes, two CO2 canisters and a CO2 pump. Plus a small box of patches. Some might say that's overkill...

same as me but i only carry one tube so the patches are even more important!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

poddle wrote: »
    I have the CO2 spare tubes etc ..but was just wondering do the repaired tubes stand up to the pressure ...Thanks for the replies !

Yep, no bother. If I'm out solo, I might just patch the tube on the roadside, with a group it's swap tubes and get rolling again and patch later.

I also carry patched tubes as spares...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've always replaced the tube and then binned the old one but when I got my new bike I had no spares for a while and started patching them. They are holding fine so far.

I tried using a CO2 pump one day and made a complete hames of it and wasting the canister in the process. Just use my hand pump now instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don't ever forget the chalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

I've only had one puncture so far, about 6 months ago. Patched the tube and it has given no bother so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Reduce, reuse, re-bicycle!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    I quite enjoy patching tubes for some strange reason! Have only one tube at the moment that's brand new with no patches!

^this! There is something very wholesome about patching a tube - even though they are only 6 euro a pop. Actually I had such a bad run of punctures recently that 6 euro a pop was starting to seem like a lot. 4 punctures in a week will do that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Stop talking about punctures! Got one this evening on the way home. First one in months and they do say they come in 3's!! ;)

Advertisement