Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadford Road Race Sunday March 2nd

• 21-02-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Race Map attached. Slight change to last years circuit. Longer lap with an extra hill.

Three Separate Races.
    A1/2 127km
    A3 / Junior 88km
    A4 67km

Sign on from 11am to 12.30pm

Race starts at 1pm sharp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

How come it's not on the CI calender?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NCW13

Should be up there. It's in the year book.

Cheers.
    Just 2 other quick questions so and I'm there:P

What's the sign-on loaction? and
    Entry fee?

Village Hall in Broadford. That's Broadford, Co. Limerick. Near Dromcollogher. (Had a few guys over the years go to Broadford in Clare.

Fee is €15. Sign on from 11am to 12.30pm. Always start on 1pm sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Is this a cycling Ireland event? I don't think it is???? if it's not, the insurance won't cover it-open to correction on this though........Was there some sketchy things going on last year.......

• Advertisement

This is a CI event. Last year's was also. Suggest you email CI if you doubt this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

This is one of the best circuits I did last year. Some tasty climbing and a great descent back into the village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

This is one of the best circuits I did last year. Some tasty climbing and a great descent back into the village.

I echo the above comments great circuit, testing climb and good atmosphere last year with a big turnout to support the riders

mccutchie wrote: »
    I echo the above comments great circuit, testing climb and good atmosphere last year with a big turnout to support the riders

Thanks. Circuit improved this year. Slightly longer, extra climb with an out of town finish on a short climb. Everything done to make it a rider friendly course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Would love to be doing it. An extra climb thrown in. Sounds savage. I'll never forget getting dropped on the descent last year. Literally went from 10th to last, killed myself getting back on only to get dropped on the first part of the climb again. 'Twas some lung opener. Had thought I was training hard but taught me a good lesson.

• Advertisement

See this race is on the CI calender now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

will there be a decent amount of sandwiches this year, it was very poor the last 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

what grade are the climbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

conor t wrote: »
    will there be a decent amount of sandwiches this year, it was very poor the last 2 years

Since when are race promoters expected to provide food to your liking on top of everything else for 15 euro?. Why don't you bring your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thought that was the broadford near my house. Ohh well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

NCW13 wrote: »
    Race Map attached. Slight change to last years circuit. Longer lap with an extra hill.

Three Separate Races.
    A1/2 127km
    A3 / Junior 88km
    A4 67km

Sign on from 11am to 12.30pm

Race starts at 1pm sharp.

Gather so from distances that is 4 laps for A3 ? Last year there were 6 laps... completed 4 so should be fine this year :D

Savage course, not a gentle climb where you can sort of wheel suck your way up !

Gather so from distances that is 4 laps for A3 ? Last year there were 6 laps... completed 4 so should be fine this year :D

Savage course, not a gentle climb where you can sort of wheel suck your way up !

It is four laps of the longer circuit this year for the A3's and Juniors. Going to give the A1/2 riders their own race with no handicap this year over six laps.

Race is on the CI calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

NCW13 wrote: »
    It is four laps of the longer circuit this year for the A3's and Juniors. Going to give the A1/2 riders their own race with no handicap this year over six laps.

Race is on the CI calendar.

Thanks for the update.
    Will it be the same for the A3/4: mass start, no handicap, a4's just finish a lap earlier?

A3 / Junior will not be handicapped. Juniors are very strong right now so seems like a fair call to me?

A4's have their own event. 3 laps. Long enough on this circuit.

BTW, any comments on handicapping appreciated. We actively seek out views after each years event. Will listen to comments on the circuit / race format all day long. Race is for the riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

For the benefit of those who like to ride the course on Google Streetview...

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4106195

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 fitman

fixie fox wrote: »
    Since when are race promoters expected to provide food to your liking on top of everything else for 15 euro?. Why don't you bring your own?
    Well a sandwich would be nice, or maybe even a cuppa..they manage it after every other event...but more importantly will the course be properly marshaled. Last year we had cars coming against us on a very narrow decent...there was no ambulance either for some reason(maybe someone got carted off) in which case there should be a back up. Safety should be a priority. There was also no working toilets in the club house...what was there i wouldn't send a dog in there...it was manky...and I'm no prude either. Actually...just thinking bout the toilets...maybe you should bring your own sandwiches :)

fitman wrote: »
    Well a sandwich would be nice, or maybe even a cuppa..they manage it after every other event...but more importantly will the course be properly marshaled. Last year we had cars coming against us on a very narrow decent...there was no ambulance either for some reason(maybe someone got carted off) in which case there should be a back up. Safety should be a priority. There was also no working toilets in the club house...what was there i wouldn't send a dog in there...it was manky...and I'm no prude either. Actually...just thinking bout the toilets...maybe you should bring your own sandwiches :)

Wasn't going to get drawn in on the Sandwich issue. But here goes. Sandwiches made for 200 riders last year. Coffee / tea etc available and no one was refused. Were you refused tea / coffee? I watched one local with an attachment to another club who never helps or offers help attend the prize giving with her family. They set out a table for themselves and proceeded to have lunch. Not sure how to deal with that? Suggestions? Then you watch riders throw sandwiches in the bin, because they didn't like ham / cheese whatever. It's not a requirement and done by volunteers. How do you cope at the race you organise? Any pointers appreciated. If you let me know what type of sandwiches you like we'll set them aside. (Genuinely)

Toilets. First complaint. Three hundred odd people use them in a few hours. Not going to get hung up on it. Spent years going to the National Track Champs and there were no toilets. We got on with it.

Medics. I will personally introduce them to you this year. Four minor accidents last year. Medics went to a central point and the riders were attended to there. Of greater concern to me was the issue the previous year when the medics were forced off the road by a supporting car and I got no support from the comm's when I sought to deal with it.

Cars on the circuit. Really?

Not one complaint from commissaire's about stewarding. Think you might have a personal issue?

My memories of last year was a well organised race, don't remember anything missing.

Only complaint was my own relative lack of fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I too remember it being a good race last year and don't remember having any specific complaints.

Best of luck Sunday NCW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

@fitman
    I have read 25% of all your posts and 100% of them have been negative. Just some food for thought - pun intended :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

There was definitely a lot of food, tea and coffee available last year. Your post above suggests this was not the case, and this is definitely untrue.
    Yes, the toilet wasn't great. And I wouldn't send a dog in there either, because I don't let my dogs crap in the same place as humans.
    It seems that you and your dog have very high expectations - at both ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Are ye doing the same as Tralee last weekend, accepting the print out for a licence card as cycling ireland are very slow this year for processing applications.

jntsnk wrote: »
    Are ye doing the same as Tralee last weekend, accepting the print out for a licence card as cycling ireland are very slow this year for processing applications.

Yes we will accept the print out. If you have an old number for your Jersey it might be an idea to bring it in case we have a lot of riders in the same situation. We have a descent amount of numbers but you never know how many guys won't have back numbers.

One day licences will be available for those that need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

fixie fox wrote: »
    There was definitely a lot of food, tea and coffee available last year. Your post above suggests this was not the case, and this is definitely untrue.
    Yes, the toilet wasn't great. And I wouldn't send a dog in there either, because I don't let my dogs crap in the same place as humans.
    It seems that you and your dog have very high expectations - at both ends.
    was the sandwiches given out after the a4 race, leave them til after the a1 race is finished and everyone will get some

• Advertisement

conor t wrote: »
    was the sandwiches given out after the a4 race, leave them til after the a1 race is finished and everyone will get some

That's the usual routine, and we will follow it this year, i,e. food available after A1 race is complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Well a sandwich would be nice, or maybe even a cuppa..

Really? Clubs are struggling to put on races, struggling to get marshalls, struggling to get commissaires and all that goes into a race. Its nice to have a cup of tea the odd time after a race but it is by no means a requirement of any club to do so.

I'm glad the questions about safety etc have been answered by the organizers. Riders shouldn't be on the wrong side of the road to begin with but I didn't think this race was sketchy last year, no more so than anywhere else. The real problem is stopping guys riding up the side of the bunch, pulling in and sitting back only to slow the entire thing - entire bunches braking when theY ARE on the correct side of the road to an oncoming car and again slowing and stringing it out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Good luck to everybody tomorrow!

Very well organised race.

Loads of sandwiches, cake and biscuits afterwards with the tea/coffee ladies been very attentive. As good a spread as you see.

I've heard the odd whisper of the race/course not been safe but this is from bods who have not actually done it. In my reckoning it is one of the safest around: quiet roads, descent is fast but there are no hairpins so you can take good clean lines through corners, potholes were marked with bright yellow paint and most importantly the hill breaks the race to bits so the groups going around are comparatively small (and you can see the potholes coming up).

Yesterday the turnout of A1's/A2's was small (big A3/junior field) so the race was handicapped at 90 seconds and made 5 laps.

It is the hardest course I have done and while stronger lads will revel in it, for lower end and bigger A3's, it is a mission just to complete it.

Ideally going forward if enough A1's and 2's turn up and 3's can have their own race, I'd like to see 3 laps of a longer circuit with more road to the North where it is flat. The hill would still break it up but when you're redlining first time up you know you only have to do it another 2 times instead of another 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Very well organised race.

Loads of sandwiches, cake and biscuits afterwards with the tea/coffee ladies been very attentive. As good a spread as you see.

I've heard the odd whisper of the race/course not been safe but this is from bods who have not actually done it. In my reckoning it is one of the safest around: quiet roads, descent is fast but there are no hairpins so you can take good clean lines through corners, potholes were marked with bright yellow paint and most importantly the hill breaks the race to bits so the groups going around are comparatively small (and you can see the potholes coming up).

Yesterday the turnout of A1's/A2's was small (big A3/junior field) so the race was handicapped at 90 seconds and made 5 laps.

It is the hardest course I have done and while stronger lads will revel in it, for lower end and bigger A3's, it is a mission just to complete it.

Ideally going forward if enough A1's and 2's turn up and 3's can have their own race, I'd like to see 3 laps of a longer circuit with more road to the North where it is flat. The hill would still break it up but when you're redlining first time up you know you only have to do it another 2 times instead of another 4.

Ditto on the spread afterwards and in fact extra kudos to the ladies in charge and the kids asking everyone if they were ok for everything, proper community spirit action going on! I drove the climb before hand on my way up from Cork and though the surface and holes coupled with the debris and muck fro the bad weather made it look very sketchy but was not bad at all when out on the road. Its a great and very tough race and everyone who finished yesterday had a hard day no doubt.

I was in the A4 race and the descent was fine as it was strung out enough over the climb to keep it safe but quick. We formed a break of around 8 going over the climb the second time and drove it on till the main road back towards the climb. Three lads bridged across I think but it went from 11 to 7 on the way up the third time. Unfortunately I was the 7th man as I let a wheel slip and before I knew it I was shelled. I busted my balls for about 10k untill 3k to the finish where I was caught by 4 but got up for second in the 5 man sprint.

Dissapointing finish but a satisfying day at one of the best races down south IMO.

Another huge performance from Eddie Dunbar in the main race but C.I need to relax on the rules and get him in with the A2's (where I think he wanted to start yesterday) I think as another season of pissing on A3's won't help him (even though that was as hard a ride as you can do yesterday!). He will be gone to France come June though I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 G200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Just to echo the above. Great race, very safe, well marshalled and plenty food afterwards. Kudos to the organisers, will definately be back next year for more lung bursting pleasure/ pain.

If they could sort out that ba$tard headwind when you turn right off the descent for next year that would be great :p

Advertisement