Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking ban law in car with a child, and smoking in home with a child in the room

Options
  • 29-05-2016 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry in advance if this has been covered on Boards already.

If you smoke in a car that has a child in it, you will be fined €100 - that came into force 1st Jan 2016. to protect children from secondary smoke.

So anything in place for protecting children in the home that are sitting down to watch TV with the family in a small living room, with the door and windows shut? - i dont think there is.

I wonder how the enforcing of the smoking ban in cars are going? - I havent heard much on it, or of anyone getting caught yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gonna need you to suggest a way to police that before I respond, Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Well Andy. I was born at the tail end of the 1960s.

I'd say the Doctor who delivered me had a fag in his mouth at the time.

As did the nurses present & in all probability my mother. (She didn't smoke normally, just the odd one on special occasions).

My Dad had a pipe in his mouth outside also.

Later on in the 1980s, I took up smoking myself & happily kept it up for 25 years.

I packed it up over 3 years ago through vaping.

However. I will never & I mean NEVER take issue with smoking or anything to do with it.

Why? Because I find that the people that do these days are worst kind of cowardly cranks that exist & I refuse to endorse that.

G'Night all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'm not judging anyone, I just wondered why they brought out a law to protect the child in a car but not in a residential house to boot - seems strange targeting one but not the other

endacl wrote:
    Gonna need you to suggest a way to police that before I respond, Andy.

Gardai to have house to house investigators :)

I'm not judging anyone, I just wondered why they brought out a law to protect the child in a car but not in a residential house to boot - seems strange targeting one but not the other

Why are you thinking about this Andy?

I'm a reformed smoker & don't wonder about the whys & the wherefores about that situation.

What's your angle on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You hate smoking don't you Andy.

You hate smoking don't you Andy.

Hate is a very strong word :-)

Why are you thinking about this Andy?

Was browsing through Irish mail online this evening and read about it, no underhanded hidden agenda :-)

What's your angle on this?

As I already said, strange doing one without other. Ok they are protecting children from smoke in a confined space of a car but they not doing anything about protecting a child in a confined space of a room in the house, maybe they just hoping that if people are banned from smoking with a child in the car that it will have a knock on effect with people smoking in the home?

As I already said, strange doing one without other. Ok they are protecting children from smoke in a confined space of a car but they not doing anything about protecting a child in a confined space of a room in the house, maybe they just hoping that if people are banned from smoking with a child in the car that it will have a knock on effect with people smoking in the home?

Oh Lord. Please somebody think of the children!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hard to police and enforce. I'd like to see children's diets policed but you'll run into the same difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's like the vast majority of laws passed in this country, it's an impossible law to enforce so it's ignored, but a politician gets a sound bite and everyone forgets about it 10 minutes later.

I remember years ago when they made a big deal about passing laws making it illegal to be drunk in public, which where to replace laws that made it illegal to be drunk in public, and they had the top Garda in Dublin on the radio being interviewed. It was in Temple bar on a Friday evening and the interviewer asked him where they going to arrest everyone, he said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Sure, open the windows, they'll be grand. Smoke from your fag will be whipped away by the exhaust fumes of the motors belching them out around ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Research the studies on passive smoking deeper.

Scientific studies don't support it. How many people have died from a condition contracted through passive smoking.

Try walking through Manhattan at rush hour and breathe in that air.

They also brought in speeding laws for cars, but I can drive my sitting room down the road at 150kmph if I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I'm a teacher and when I taught junior infants I could often get the smell of cigarettes off the children's clothes, hair and even off their homework. It's so unfair on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Its an outrage...whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm a teacher and when I taught junior infants I could often get the smell of cigarettes off the children's clothes, hair and even off their homework. It's so unfair on them.

A lot of people underestimate the smell and how long it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I just want to call you Andy.

Oh Andy
    Andy
    Andy

Perspective.

The mother who tore her uterus during the 2 days of labour with that child, who worked 2 jobs to make ends meet, who gave up her social life, holidays for that child, who lost sleep, aged, went without for that child, who is in every way the most devoted parent has a cigarette, her one solace, and you think "that's just SO unfair"?

Maybe a little less judgement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The car is out and about in public and it's a very confined space.
    There are 2 points,
    1 is that it would be somewhat applicable in the car and would be completely unenforceable in the private house. Implementing laws that are unenforceable is stupid because it makes a mockery of the law and weakens law enforcement generally.

2 is that the home us more private than a car. Nobody wants the government to do make rules for anything that isn't absolutely necessary. Freedom includes the right to blow smoke in a child's face in the home, or at least smoke in a house with them.

It's not a big problem that they have prohibition on smoking in a car but not in the home.

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Perspective.

The mother who tore her uterus during the 2 days of labour with that child, who worked 2 jobs to make ends meet, who gave up her social life, holidays for that child, who lost sleep, aged, went without for that child, who is in every way the most devoted parent has a cigarette, her one solace, and you think "that's just SO unfair"?

yeah - because every 5 year old who goes into school smelling of fags is coming from that perspective!

My friend and her husband smoke, no torn uterus, no 2 day labour, no job - stay at home mother, reasonable social life, regular trips to UK to see family, probably lost a bit of sleep but that's to be expected, aged - obviously (we all do!) good, devoted parent, I'll give you that.. but the fact is they both smoke around their children, and one day I collected the 5 year old from school - 5 hours after she would have been at home, and she stank of fags!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

When I was in junior infants my teacher would smoke in the classroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Perspective.

She could go outside and smoke? The child didn't ask to be born. You either do something right or you don't do it at all.

yeah - because every 5 year old who goes into school smelling of fags is coming from that perspective!

My friend and her husband smoke, no torn uterus, no 2 day labour, no job - stay at home mother, reasonable social life, regular trips to UK to see family, probably lost a bit of sleep but that's to be expected, aged - obviously (we all do!) good, devoted parent, I'll give you that.. but the fact is they both smoke around their children, and one day I collected the 5 year old from school - 5 hours after she would have been at home, and she stank of fags!

I know parents who never smoked around their children.

Alcoholic, beat them, but never smoked.

So the teachers couldn't judge and tut tut because, well the kids never smelled of smoke.

The simple fact is that smoking does not make a parent bad.
    She could go outside and smoke? The child didn't ask to be born. You either do something right or you don't do it at all.

You think parenting is that black and white, there is a right way and a wrong way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

I know parents who never smoked around their children.

Alcoholic, beat them, but never smoked.

So the teachers couldn't judge and tut tut because, well the kids never smelled of smoke.

You think parenting is that black and white, there is a right way and a wrong way?

Yes there is, you go outside and therefore you don't force your children to breathe in cancer causing smoke.

I'll happily take the moral high ground on that one.

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I don't believe the teacher said anything about bad parents, they just said it was so unfair on the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm a libertarian but I don't understand the "liberal" perspective on allowing people to smoke in front of others.

I can't slap you in the face.
    I don't see why other forms of assault, such as blowing poisonous chemicals at you, should be deemed acceptable.

You should be able to consume whatever you like. I'm not sure why you should be able to force others to consume it at the same time.
    Arguably, smoke would be diffuse enough outdoors that it ought to be permitted, but there's no escaping it in confined spaces.

Yes there is, you go outside and therefore you don't force your children to breathe in cancer causing smoke.

I'll happily take the moral high ground on that one.

Oh obviously I agree that one should go outside.

But on the other hand, I wouldn't judge a parent on that one issue. There are far more important things. My dad lived under a cloud of smoke...but he was the most wonderful father. I would hate to think a teacher might have smelled the smoke and judged him to be unfair to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Smoking itself obviously does not make a bad parent, but smoking in front of the child in an enclosed enviroment most certainly does.

Are you saying otherwise?

Advertisement