Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol Station attendants

• 01-02-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭

was talking to someone the other day about when you used to pull into a Petrol Station there used to be an attendant to fill your car up with fuel and take your money. You didnt even have to get out of the car! - would you like to see those days and that service back? - or do you prefer self service stations and fill up your car yourself? . I suppose there are still some small independent petrol stations around still which have an attendant to fill you up, but id say its nearly all died out now these days. Must be nice if you go out in a nice prestige suit and not having to touch a greasy/grimy petrol thingy or if its cold or raining and just want to stay in a nice warm dry car.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

fuel injection technician

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I prefer the self service. It feels pathetic having someone else fill the tank for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Do women shake the petrol pump after filling up or is it just a man thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They change hands every five minutes.That's the problem.
    Turn around and somebody else owns it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭samsid

was talking to someone the other day about when you used to pull into a Petrol Station there used to be an attendant to fill your car up with fuel and take your money. You didnt even have to get out of the car! - would you like to see those days and that service back? - or do you prefer self service stations and fill up your car yourself? . I suppose there are still some small independent petrol stations around still which have an attendant to fill you up, but id say its nearly all died out now these days. Must be nice if you go out in a nice prestige suit and not having to touch a greasy/grimy petrol thingy or if its cold or raining and just want to stay in a nice warm dry car.

The Petrol Pumps at Christies Supermarket on Pearse RD in Sligo,
    still offer an attendant service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Would you be prepared to pay higher prices for the service?

I wouldn't .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I kick it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,399 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Before rounding, people buying petrol self service had already embraced the concept. They would offer €30 for €30.03 or €30.05 worth of petrol. Probably wouldn't get that perk from an attendant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

anyone see the pat short movie Garage

powerful movie and shows the death of these independent petrol stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Much prefer it when I'm able to pull in and order some fella to fill it up petroleum distillate and re-vulcanize my tires...post-haste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

PTH2009 wrote: »
    anyone see the pat short movie Garage

powerful movie and shows the death of these independent petrol stations

You spelt the name wrong. It was called Garbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

when i moved to sligo in the 90's there were hardly any self service petrol stations, I think if i remember right most of them had an attendant ... and not only that the attendant would come out of their booths with a lit fag , puffing away whilst they filled up your car with juice lol :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont like people I know touching my car, nevermind strangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

when i moved to sligo in the 90's there were hardly any self service petrol stations, I think if i remember right most of them had an attendant ... and not only that the attendant would come out of their booths with a lit fag , puffing away whilst they filled up your car with juice lol :eek:

You remember wrong. The vast majority went self-service in the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭samsid

actually back in the nineties in Sligo all the garages on the main rd(Pearse Rd)
    barring the Esso one had attendants, which as you say was self service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I worked as one from 16-18 years old while in school. I'm 31 so it wasn't that long ago..

Got paid 8 an hour back then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

A good few around Letterkenny still have attendants anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You remember wrong. The vast majority went self-service in the 80's.

Last place I remember seeing an attendant as a kid was the esso in Clane, Co. Kildare. Don't remember ever seeing 1 anywhere in Dublin. Could just be we were in the Clane one, more often than others who provided the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Definitely self service. I've had too many cars dented and scratch, in the good old days, by pump attendants. I prefer to fill her up myself anyway.

With elf n safety gone mad lately these days i am so surprised they still let us peasants of the general public anywhere near a volatile substance such as petrol/fuel - I mean a highly explosive liquid, damaging to the enviroment if you spill it on the floor (let alone claims from public where they have slipped up on spilt fuel) getting high on the toxic fumes - tell ye what if there was a big rush on people spilling fuel down their good gear and sending the dry cleaning bill to the petrol station they might think again about getting the attendants back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

No thanks, not since on of those lads filled my van with petrol instead of diesel :mad:.
    Even before that I'd regard them the same as those 'attendants' in pub/club toilets. Stay away from me I can look after myself :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

With elf n safety gone mad lately these days i am so surprised they still let us peasants of the general public anywhere near a volatile substance such as petrol/fuel - I mean a highly explosive liquid, damaging to the enviroment if you spill it on the floor (let alone claims from public where they have slipped up on spilt fuel) getting high on the toxic fumes - tell ye what if there was a big rush on people spilling fuel down their good gear and sending the dry cleaning bill to the petrol station they might think again about getting the attendants back

If all those things happened then of course we would not be, nor want to be, filling our own fuel. But they don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

My first proper job was a Petrol Pump Attendant in Maxol and I was paid £1.50 an hour.

I was 16 back then so they could get away with paying buttons to young lads.

I dont want to see Pump Attendants back because it increases the price of Petrol/Diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

If I recall correctly, most were done away with possibly due to health and safety. Petrol contains benzene, a carcinogen, and pumping petrol all day long wasn't good for the attendants health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

One of the petrol stations down here in Carlow has an attendant still.

He's not a million miles from Pat Shortts character in The Garage either.

You remember wrong......

oh well that dont surprise me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,328 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They want you to fill your own so that when you go in to pay you might buy something else. It's a business decision.

samsid wrote: »

cool! - Any extra charge for it? - or the petrol any dearer for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I know a station in Galway that had an attendant a couple years ago at least. It was really busy and this really sped things up and increased their turnover a load I bet.

I didn't mind, though I am usually a bit antisocial when it comes to these kind of interactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I know a station in Galway that had an attendant a couple years ago at least. It was really busy and this really sped things up and increased their turnover a load I bet.

I didn't mind, though I am usually a bit antisocial when it comes to these kind of interactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I always wipe the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

There's one between Kells and Navan that charges e1.39 for a litre of diesel when most places around are e1.05, they have a sign saying Quality Assured though, hope the attendant is getting well paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

cool! - Any extra charge for it? - or the petrol any dearer for it?

Dunno about petrol but the Applegreen just up the road from it is 99.8 for diesel and Christies is 99.9 so there's a premium being charged for the attendant alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gimmi all your loving all your hugs and kisses too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The world is in a very sorry state if all you chauffeurs are getting uppity about not having another little man to fill your master's motor vehicle with fuel.
    I expect my driver to have all the motor's filled with fuel whether he has to get out and do it himself or not.
    Really, you people.

• Advertisement

Gimmi all your loving all your hugs and kisses too

what is that a serenade for all those attendants out there? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The petrol station in front of Youngs (Opel garage) on the way out of Roscrea has (assuming he's not died in the past fortnight since the last time I was past) an attendant if you've a hankering for such things. Prices aren't any dearer than other local stations fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,438 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would be too difficult to do it now, some people wouldn't even know if their car was petrol or diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

what is that a serenade for all those attendants out there? :D

i mean they are called 'service' stations are they not? - if you get your car serviced you dont roll yer sleeves up and do it yourselves - if you have someone offer a service on something they are doing something for you ... offering you a 'service'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

It'll be 'Pull you own' (oh matron!) next, out with barkeeps and their small talk/chit chatter! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I worked part time in a garage around 2008-10 and we had to fill cars. The manager was very pernickety about it too, you'd be told off if you didn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Isn't that just a man in a hut. Similar set up at other attendant service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They want you to fill your own so that when you go in to pay you might buy something else. It's a business decision.

Its as simple as this really. No point in having a shop attached to a station if you allow people to not leave their car to get petrol. Also profits are tiny in fuel sales, the owners need you to buy stuff in the shop to survive. You could spend €30 on petrol and the owner gets €2.50 profit and then go inside and buy a coffee and muffin for €4 and the owner gets another €2.50 profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Christies is awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭PC Lackey

Yo there still be one in Finglas like that for real.

I be layin back in the cut eatin me some grits and fried chicken, and this youngfella be fillin my ride. Then he all up in my grill aksin me for the money and sht.

That place in the village up off 4th and 2nd.

Just to give yall the 411 on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I remember driving in New Jersey in 2012 and being a bit amuse that it was illegal there to fill up with petrol yourself! Same goes for Oregon:

http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/bans-gas-pumping.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

Plenty around the border still have them, think it's to stop lads driving off without paying more than customer service though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its as simple as this really. No point in having a shop attached to a station if you allow people to not leave their car to get petrol. Also profits are tiny in fuel sales, the owners need you to buy stuff in the shop to survive. You could spend €30 on petrol and the owner gets €2.50 profit and then go inside and buy a coffee and muffin for €4 and the owner gets another €2.50 profit.

I doubt that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,399 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I dont like people I know touching my car, nevermind strangers.

942e953c1582a875aa87ca478fd4f448c86688ff1a6e86eb24e5c35f7cbaac51.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement