Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral discussion

Options
  • 22-03-2015 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

right well time is getting close so looking for a bit of assisstance, i have begun learning off some answers and thought i was doing class till i recorded myself repeating my answers and found it took 16 minutes, seeing as ill only have 9 minutes in the actual thing this is a big problem.

i went from me-family-house-area-school- educational system - gaeltacht- revival of irish - tourism - climate change

all these titles link up with "hooks" at the end for the examiner to ask a question on. However this does not include what i want to do next year etc. What is the reccomendation, just I leave certain parts out, just go for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

In the actual exam, you aren't going to be able to go from learned off topic to learned off topic, the examiner might ask you "what are your sisters doing in college" for example, leading the conversation in a whole different direction. I remember my cousin telling me in her oral 2 years ago, she didn't even get to talk about her family, the examiner went straight from "how are you" to "describe yourself" to "where do you live". So be prepared for that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

yes i completely agree, however my teacher went to an oral discussion there last week and were told that the student will be leading the conversation this year, no MC question, HL students should bring it in themselves. I will talk about facilities in my area and lead onto scoil easily imo e.g Tá pairc mhór in aice m'áit chonaithe, Is aoibhinn liom dul ann gach sean a fhaighim ach taim sa seú bhliain anois agus an ardteist a dhéanamh agam.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

The student certainly won't be leading the conversation this year...and never was....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Does the examiner straight out ask you complex topics or is it your choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

oktplz wrote: »
    Does the examiner straight out ask you complex topics or is it your choice?

It is never your choice(unless you're struggling) but the conversation will have a natural enough flow. There is a very strong possibility an examiner will bring up a complex topic out of the blue during the oral, more-so if you show a good level of Irish. Doesn't always happen but don't be surprised if you get asked straight up about Politics etc after you say your bit about your school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    It is never your choice(unless you're struggling) but the conversation will have a natural enough flow. There is a very strong possibility an examiner will bring up a complex topic out of the blue during the oral, more-so if you show a good level of Irish. Doesn't always happen but don't be surprised if you get asked straight up about Politics etc after you say your bit about your school.

no need to worry too much if it does, its a conversation not an interrogation. Simple say you have now interstet in that topic or you would rather not talk about it and thats it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭essdee

There are some ways to redirect the discussion in the oral. Here is a video created by an experienced teacher showing how this can be done. She uses three examples to illustrate it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDp4j2ZUUPM

Advertisement