Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newsroom [HBO - Spoilers]

Options
  • 08-09-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭

Source
    HBO is giving Aaron Sorkin’s cable news project a green light: The Social Network and West Wing writer’s behind-the-scenes drama about a fictional cable news network just earned a series order at the network.
    The series centers on a cable news anchor (Jeff Daniels), his new executive producer (Emily Mortimer), his newsroom staff (Alison Pill, John Gallagher, Jr., Olivia Munn, Dev Patel, Thomas Sadoski) and their boss (Sam Waterston).
    The logline: “Together they set out on a patriotic and quixotic mission to do the news well in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles and their own personal entanglements.” Basically: The backstage cable network drama of Sorkin’s Sports Night combined with a probable dash of West Wing-style media politics.
    The project is officially untitled but has been working under the name More as the Story Develops. Sorkin is executive producing along with Scott Rudin and Alan Poul.

Hopefully it does well on HBO I think it should do with Daniels and Waterston in the cast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Source

Hopefully it does well on HBO I think it should do with Daniels and Waterston in the cast

Looks good, similar enough territory to 'Sports Night' for Aaron Sorkin although the Newsroom setting would give him more scope for meatier plotlines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I look forwards to seeing this and how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i tried to watch sports night but couldn't stand the laugh track and the forced repetitive 'comedy' pity cos there were great polemics in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jane Fonda has joined in a recurring role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Remember The Newsroom from the 90's?

That was a great news TV show. Canadian I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Sports night was quality TV as was West Wing. Looking forward to this. Any dates or casting details?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Didn't like the social media blended into it, but it does look good and clearly Sorkinesque. Slightly sweary trailer for those in work, etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks good. Will definitely give it a shot anyway.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/trailer-west-wing-creator-returns-with-new-tv-drama-404214-Apr2012/
    IN A WORLD where it’s the on-screen talent that usually takes all the plaudits, it’s rare that a screenwriter becomes so revered that his own name becomes as big an attraction as the actors appearing in their work.

That’s the case of Aaron Sorkin, however, a script writer who was already feted for play-cum-film A Few Good Men, TV series Sports Night and movie The American President before translating leftover ideas for the latter into The West Wing.

That series became one of the most celebrated of all time, winning 26 Emmy awards in its seven-season tenure, with Sorkin writing all but 3 of the first 89 episodes before moving on.

After returning to TV with the short lived ‘Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip’, a series on the backstage life at a Saturday Night Live-esque comedy show, he was honoured with an Academy Award for his adapted screenplay for Facebook drama The Social Network.
    His latest effort, coming to American screens in June, is another TV-based drama: The Newsroom – a drama on life behind a cable news channel, featuring an ensemble cast led by Jeff Daniels.

I am SO looking forward to this show!

Love it but I'm not sure how it will translate into episodic TV. Seems more like movie fodder. but hell, Sorkin? I'm in.

• Advertisement

Black Oil wrote: »

Didn't like the social media blended into it, but it does look good and clearly Sorkinesque. Slightly sweary trailer for those in work, etc.

I kinda like the social media blend in the trailer myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"Arrrgh, Harry, your hands are freezing."

Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Is Thomas Schlamme involved in this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

"I'm a republican the only reason I sound liberal is that I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure and not gay marriage"

Looking forward to this .

"I'm a republican the only reason I sound liberal is that I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure and not gay marriage"

Looking forward to this .

The West Wing was supposedly slanted towards a Democratic point of view so it will be interesting to see how this one goes.
    Its not as if the Republican's haven't given him enought material to work with! LOL :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Anyone know when this show is due for release, should be decent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

June 24th is current scheduled date.

Really looking forward to this. Enjoy all of Sorkins stuff.

I think its June 24th.
    ...According to this: http://gawker.com/5898403/the-newsroom-aaron-sorkin-loathes-the-internet-youth

Another write-up about the show: http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/apr/02/the-newsroom-trailer-aaron-sorkin-hbo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

he's obviously going for the decent republican thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Good heads up-thanks.

Now the fears that the Republicans will be too nice like Alan Alda and that it all falls into a kind of mushy love in.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    Good heads up-thanks.

Now the fears that the Republicans will be too nice like Alan Alda and that it all falls into a kind of mushy love in.

That's the one thing I don't like about Sorkin's work (The West Wing and Sportsnight, anyway). He is prone to drifting into sentimantility at times which can ruin a great episode. You can gloss over it because everything else is so good, but it is annoying.

Skid wrote: »
    That's the one thing I don't like about Sorkin's work (The West Wing and Sportsnight, anyway). He is prone to drifting into sentimantility at times which can ruin a great episode. You can gloss over it because everything else is so good, but it is annoying.

Agreed, kinda. But with Alan Alda (love that guy!) playing a republican (also in the audio book version of WWZ!) I think its playing against cast. And I like it. I mean they cant all be gun toting Alaskans, or nutjobs like Colbert. There has to be some intelligent "easy to love" republicans, and it will be really interesting to see how Sorkin writes them, we all know he can write democratic.

My only wish is for Bradley Whitford to make an appearance. :D And I wouldn't hurt anyone is Timothy Bushfield also arrived!

Skid wrote: »

No one is perfect.
    Writers sometimes allow (too much?) sentimentality when they are writing about something they partly feel strong about.
    We all can be prone to it, by accident or design.
    So far Sorkin has done a damn good job of using sentimentality to good effective effect rather than bad effect more often than others.
    The serious amount of awards, respect and accolades he has gained over decades is testament to this alone.

Biggins wrote: »
    No one is perfect.
    Writers sometimes allow (too much?) sentimentality when they are writing about something they partly fell strong about.
    We all can be prone to it, by accident or design.
    So far Sorkin has done a damn good job of using sentimentality to good effective effect rather than bad effect more often than others.
    The serious amount of awards, respect and accolades he has gained over decades is testament to this alone.

Yeah, to be fair I am being a bit churlish in my criticism. It's just something that bugs me. But Sorkin is a class apart. I just finished The West Wing again, it is unbelievably good. He deserves all the awards, respect and accolades you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Trailer #2 is out:

Looks good to me ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Really looking forward to this now :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Uh oh. I preferred the first trailer. This has me a little concerned that they'll all be too self-aware. Hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The Russians invading Georgia? Was someone looking at the RTE News website?

Georgia-730366.jpg

The Newsroom will debut in the UK on the 10th of July on Sky Atlantic just two weeks after it starts in the US on HBO

• Advertisement

Its on this weekend right? Sunday night broadcast, Monday morning available! WOO! Cant wait!

Advertisement