Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so is anyone thinking of repeating?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

Would never, ever repeat. I wouldn't go through that year again if you offered me a place in Harvard!

Of course its more understandable if you want something like medicine or primary teaching, and thats all you wanted to do. I'm lucky though, I can fill up my CAO with general generic business stuff and I'd be happy enough on most of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

RedXIV wrote: »
    If you can guys, I'd strongly suggest anyone thinking of repeating talk to a guidance councilor. There are other ways to get into college courses, for example, doing a year in a related course elsewhere and transfer the credits etc. I know a girl in my year when I did the leaving 5 years ago got into medicine by switching in after a year in a different course. Just food for thought, the LC is NOT the only way to get what you want in college
    i would hate to have to repeat but im not the smartest button in the pile :P and im reaching past the stars here but i just have to become a vet .. its all i ever wanted and all ill ever want but ill be struggling to get up to 560 to get into study it... there is no other way into veterinary without the points .. or so i was told but if anyone else knows different please please tell me ... and if it came down to it i would repeat ... but only if i got close otherwise i would hate to do the LC again and not get it the 2nd time ...

but i do have a second option , i would like optometry either but again im not even sure id get enough points to do that .... but who knows :)
    **heres hoping i become a vet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

HOBO123 wrote: »
    i would hate to have to repeat but im not the smartest button in the pile :P and im reaching past the stars here but i just have to become a vet .. its all i ever wanted and all ill ever want but ill be struggling to get up to 560 to get into study it... there is no other way into veterinary without the points .. or so i was told but if anyone else knows different please please tell me ... and if it came down to it i would repeat ... but only if i got close otherwise i would hate to do the LC again and not get it the 2nd time ...

but i do have a second option , i would like optometry either but again im not even sure id get enough points to do that .... but who knows :)
    I think general science must have a way into veterinary eventually. Or maybe Zoology, I thought I saw that in a prospectus somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If I got 5 points I wouldn't repeat once is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

HOBO123 wrote: »

There is ALWAYS another way into a career path. The leaving cert is not the key to everything. When I started in college I watched alot of people switch into courses they wanted. And if you go for a year in college and then into your chosen career path as opposed to repeating the LC, you can get the grades you need with continuous assessment, a method far nicer on the ole nerves than 2 weeks of exams.

DEF talk to a guidence councillor, a college/Uni/IT one if possible and you'll be shown how to find the other ways into a course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

i have spoke with a career guidance counsellor and it seems in ireland veterinary is the only course in which it is almost impossible to get in as a graduate or even transfer .. it is because there is only 1 vet school here and the demand is so huge .. there are 5 graduate places and i was told last year approx 2000 people applied .. its a lottery .. only other choice is to go to budapest which costs 50,000 .. which i dont have .. i have done so much research but it seems medicine is now easier to get into than veterinary..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

After the way the tests went this year I would not repeat.

Repeat friends of mine said these papers were way harder and ones even afraid of re-repeating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

If I really had to I would. I'd prefer to do another year in school and getting into a course I really want then doing a course I didn't like just for the sake of doing it. Hopefully I won't have that problem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Rosie_McRose

I screwed up my leaving cert 17 years ago. It was a case of 'could do better' plus the stress of it made me mess up a few papers I knew I could have done really well in. I missed out my first choice of career by 5 points. But I wouldn't repeat. Wild horses couldn't have dragged me back.
    I've regretted it since I graduated. After 10 years in a career I hate I'm now going back to repeat. At the ripe old age of 35.
    I've got at least 30 working years left. If I do 5 years study I'll have 25 in a career I might actually love.
    Repeating is not the end of the world. In fact it may be the smartest move you ever make.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Not a chance. I want Medicine and probably won't get it, but I think that there's always another way into the career you want. To me, anything would be better than going back into a classroom for another 9+ months.

Good luck to anyone considering it though, hope it all works out for the best for you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

anything would be better than going back into a classroom for another 9+ months.

or you could repeat the leaving by spending 9 months in bed / at home. Just get up / out for the orals and written. sweet year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

pathway33 wrote: »
    or you could repeat the leaving by spending 9 months in bed / at home. Just get up / out for the orals and written. sweet year :D

Ha, I wish! My mother would shoot me :pac:

I'm not really that kind of person though, I always need to be doing something. I mean, I'm already feeling guilty for not studying :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

Don't even consider repeating until you get those results back. You don't want to be thinking about it all summer:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

Repeating really isn't that bad. I just repeated and am glad I did. It was horrible for the first week but you get used to it quickly. And this year flew by. If it doesn't go well in august I really suggest repeating.
    LC2010HIS wrote: »
    do you have to resit 6 subjects or can you sit only 2 or 3 you want to improve????:eek::eek::eek:
    You can resit just 3 but they won't raise your points from last year in any way.

Advertisement