Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Schools in Dublin

Options
  • 15-06-2010 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I was wondering if somebody could give me the websites to private schools in Dublin (something like the Institute - but a lot cheaper!)

Here in Cork there are private schools that only have 5th, 6th and repeat years, no uniform and all that and cost 1K

(I'd be repeating)

Anything similar in Dublin? Don't bother linking me to a seach engline or anything as I'm looking but know nothing about areas etc.

Thanks a million and good luck in exams :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

Most community schools will allow you to repeat 6th year and are free (except for the capitation fee).
    There is also Bruce College (Dublin 2) and Ashfield College (Rathfarnham).
    There is a school in Rathmines too but it's a private one and fairly pricey I think. I can't remember the name of it though.
    Fingers crossed you won't even need to repeat :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Yeah I'm not going to go to a public school (snob alert), I've been in private schools here for the last few years and now that I've decided I'm repeating my parents are pissed off and won't send me somewhere that cost a lot..

Thanks a mill I'll look into those :) Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

This one is popular and has a good reputation:

http://www.stlaurencecollege.com/repeat.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Surely living costs in Dublin would make up the difference in cost if you found somewhere cheaper in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

You're welcome :)
    Another school with a good reputation for repeats/ selection of subjects is St. Tiernans in Sandyford. It is a community school, but as far as I know they allow their repeats to wear their civvies rather than a uniform. It sounds like you are looking for something that will treat you more as an adult than a schoolchild. You could also look at some of Cork's/Dublin's VEC colleges where they also do PLC courses. This might be a cheaper option but still 'feel' like college?

I would 2nd the opinion that coming to Dublin and paying for cost of living will negate any saving you make on fees, unless you have digs sorted out.
    If you are worried about not getting the points to do your course of choice, then maybe consider a PLC in Cork and use the points on that to get into your course next year, unless of course it's medicine or similar you are trying to get!
    Best of luck with your search.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

You're not going to get into any private school for less than one thousand euro I'm afraid... the lowest the fees are anywhere is maybe two and a half grand at the very very least... and they also don't cater to repeats. I know De La Salle in Waterford cater for repeats, it's a boarding school I think too. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cen92

or you could just go to a normal school like the other 99% of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

or you could just go to a normal school like the other 99% of Ireland

Dont be ridiculous. Some of us actually value our education....

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

PARARORY wrote: »

so is it harder to get 600 points or near it when ur in a normal public person rather then a grinds school?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cen92

fauxshow wrote: »
    I know De La Salle in Waterford cater for repeats, it's a boarding school I think too. Good luck!

Thats my school, they allow repeats in, its not a boarding school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

so is it harder to get 600 points or near it when ur in a normal public person rather then a grinds school?

I was actually being sarcastic but anyways... :cool:

On a side note , not all private schools are "grind schools".
    The standard of teaching is exactly the same in both private and public schools.

I've been in both types over the years and the only real difference is the facilities each school has because of the money they take in. Private schools have better facilities because they spend more money on things like that.

bullpost wrote: »
    This one is popular and has a good reputation:

http://www.stlaurencecollege.com/repeat.html

They do a "7th year" I've only ever heard great things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Another good one is Marian College in Dublin 4. They also have the "7th year" set-up and I've heard great things about it. My mate repeated there a few years back, it was only about 500-600 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

If dosent matter whether its public or private school, you'll only get the points if you put the work in. OP, you say you went to a private school for the last few years, obviously didnt work out if your repeating.

There are plenty of good public schools in the country, and you shouldnt turn your nose up at them, just because someone has the money for a private school dosent mean they'l do any better in the leaving. Its the one thing I think is great about the CAO system, you cant buy a place in a good college

Well I'm spending about 8K a year in my current "grind school" with no uniform and it's basically college life!

Don't think I'm going to go into a public school and wear a uniform and be around those kind of people...

(I'm actually such a snob! :O :P)

Thanks for the advice guys I'll look into it some more :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Michael Phelps

Your parents are spending. Not you.

Your parents are spending. Not you.

Thank God! :)

!!! wrote: »
    Well I'm spending about 8K a year in my current "grind school" with no uniform and it's basically college life!

Don't think I'm going to go into a public school and wear a uniform and be around those kind of people...

(I'm actually such a snob! :O :P)

snob is a very mild word :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

<snip>

;)

:D

Feck it, I'll go to the Institute..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

On a side note , not all private schools are "grind schools".
    The standard of teaching is exactly the same in both private and public schools.

I've been in both types over the years and the only real difference is the facilities each school has because of the money they take in. Private schools have better facilities because they spend more money on things like that.

This.

As an aside, any petty bickering just generally asshattery will be met with a ban, this thread comes up over and over again and it descends into a total mess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

!!! wrote: »
    ;)

:D

Feck it, I'll go to the Institute..

I go to a public school, and people in my year went to the Institute. They are sitting their LC in my school now but they reckon that our school is better than the institute! You're just paying for the notes in the institute anyway.

I go to a public school, and people in my year went to the Institute. They are sitting their LC in my school now but they reckon that our school is better than the institute! You're just paying for the notes in the institute anyway.

The institute depends entirely on your motivation, if you want to do well and you are willing to work, you can get stupid high points, if you go expecting an easy ride, you wont get very far :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Fad wrote: »
    The institute depends entirely on your motivation, if you want to do well and you are willing to work, you can get stupid high points, if you go expecting an easy ride, you wont get very far :(

True, but a really motivated student could get the points they wanted in a 'free' public school. You can pay a lot of money to go to a school with a lot of good 'notes', but you can't have the notes beside you in the exam. You just have to be motivated and learn yourself, no different really from any other school!

True, but a really motivated student could get the points they wanted in a 'free' public school. You can pay a lot of money to go to a school with a lot of good 'notes', but you can't have the notes beside you in the exam. You just have to be motivated and learn yourself, no different really from any other school!

I entirely understand this, was more pointing out the assumption most people make, that going to the tute will get them high points with minimal effort.......

While I happened to go to a private school, it was not a grinds school, and teachers got the same pay as almost every other teacher in the country (ie their pay was not related to results) and I had some amazing notes. But at the same time I had some terrible terrible teachers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

tommyhaas wrote: »
    If dosent matter whether its public or private school, you'll only get the points if you put the work in. OP, you say you went to a private school for the last few years, obviously didnt work out if your repeating.

There are plenty of good public schools in the country, and you shouldnt turn your nose up at them, just because someone has the money for a private school dosent mean they'l do any better in the leaving. Its the one thing I think is great about the CAO system, you cant buy a place in a good college

I went to a private and public school, the public schools are actually better catered for as private schools cannot charge fees equal to what the government spends per head in the public sector as very few would be able to afford it. The only reason private schools are statistically better is because children from high income groupings are expected to move on to higher education hence most or all do, whereas ones from other sectors see jobs such as hairdressing or careers in the army in a much more favorable light. This is why there is such a stark difference in feeder rates and no school should be judged on these alone.

Private schools are in no way better, nor are those who attend anyway smarter.

Yes in my first one we had a swimming pool but computers from the 1980s,
    An astroturf pitch but classrooms in horrendous states of disrepair..

I could go on, I prefer the way the government spends its money to be honest.

I went to a private and public school, the public schools are actually better catered for as private schools cannot charge fees equal to what the government spends per head in the public sector as very few would be able to afford it. The only reason private schools are statistically better is because children from high income groupings are expected to move on to higher education hence most or all do, whereas ones from other sectors see jobs such as hairdressing or careers in the army in a much more favorable light. This is why there is such a stark difference in feeder rates and no school should be judged on these alone.

Private schools are in no way better, nor are those who attend anyway smarter.

I would dispute the first point tbh, most private schools have their teachers paid for by the government and fees go towards school maintenance and the share holders (Or wherever, I really dont care!) as a results the school I went to had huge buildings etc, but still had the same problems that public schools have with teachers. (Not saying they're all the same!).

I do agree that private schools aren't necessarily better though :)

Fad wrote: »
    I would dispute the first point tbh, most private schools have their teachers paid for by the government and fees go towards school maintenance and the share holders (Or wherever, I really dont care!) as a results the school I went to had huge buildings etc, but still had the same problems that public schools have with teachers. (Not saying they're all the same!).

I found the money was misspent tbh, and that in public schools as the spending is carefully watched students get what they need, to refer to my above example, computers that work instead of a bloody swimming pool!

• Advertisement

I found the money was misspent tbh, and that in public schools as the spending is carefully watched students get what they need, to refer to my above example, computers that work instead of a bloody swimming pool!

There was mismanagement of money (I worked in the school as a lab tech this year and money was spent on stupid shít.........) but tbh they learned from mistakes. Private schools are probably in a better position now purely because funding from the government is pretty tight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement