Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solenoid Valve

• 17-09-2014 8:26pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭

HI,

I have a fishtank and a pond and the valves for the supply is in an ackward place.
    so I want to install an on/off solenoid valve on the supply to these tanks, with a simple switch to turn them on or off.
    The valves will be on a mains water supply - 1/2".

Can anyone rec a cheap valve that will do this for me.
    A quick search produces this - so any help would be appreciated.

Thx

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A simple enough solenoid valve similar to one I've used before.
    But instead of that, why not fit a simple lever valve in a more accessible location?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

K.Flyer wrote: »
    A simple enough solenoid valve similar to one I've used before.
    But instead of that, why not fit a simple lever valve in a more accessible location?

thx - what solenoid valves are they. 12v supply ?
    Was going to add in a ball-valve but a switch will make it easier for the miss'.

karltimber wrote: »
    thx - what solenoid valves are they. 12v supply ?
    Was going to add in a ball-valve but a switch will make it easier for the miss'.

The ones I used were 230v, got them from Modern Plant on the Naas Rd. I don't remember how much they were, but I think that they were cheap enough.
    You will just need to buy two 1/2" 311 connections from your local plumbing supplier and screw them into the valve body using ptfe tape, that and your electrical connection and your good to go.
    Though you might want to consult an electrician regarding the electrical supply if its going to be outdoors.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thx KF

any of these on the Danfloss website look like the one you used - so many to choose from.
    appreciate the info.
    The reason Danfoss website - seems Modern Plant sell these. will email them also.

K

I remembered when I used it last and dug out the invoice.
    Modern Plant 01-4591344

MPL Code (modern plant code) 042U4014
    Danfoss EV220A 1/2" SOL.VALVE O.A.G.W
    0.2 - 16 bar Brass NBR N/C
    (WRAS Approved)
    You will also need two other parts to make up the unit.
    MPL Code 042N0840
    Danfoss 'AM' Coil 230 VAC DIN SPADE
    MPL Code 042N0156-A
    Danfoss PLUG EN175301-803

Plus the two 1/2" 311 connectors.

Total for everything was just under 40.00 euro.
    Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

You could also us something like this. No wiring necessary but the switch would need to be relatively close to the valve.

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171459881646?nav=SEARCH

www.surestop.co.uk

Advertisement