Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inis Inset Stove

• 20-01-2013 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting an Inis Boffin inset stove. However after lots of looking around, including the sticky, I can't find much from anyone who actually has one or at least has seen it working. So... does anyone here have any thoughts on them?....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spudman

Hi autorotation, I too am thinking of getting an Inis Bofin Inset stove. My chimney sweep recommended the company because of their knowledge and customer service. Irish made not just assembled. I telephoned a few suppliers and all quoted €1150 to €1200 (plus delivery). Found an on line supplier in northern Ireland who quote £765 including delivery (approx €900).
    Also considering the Boru Fiachra, got a quote of €800 including delivery. Are Boru irish made ie design, manufactured, assembled?

Any advise gratefully received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

Hi Spudman,

That stove was recommended to me by a local installer here in meath,
    I liked the fact that it has the convection air system that puts warm air into the room.

Can you please PM me the supplier details of the northern ireland shop as i am getting quotes of 1200 euro for same model.

Thanks for the help:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spudman

Inis inset stove available at Mullen Domestic Enniskillen. Very quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

I was going to get the stanley cara but have been swayed by the features of the Inis boffin stove.
    Has anyone here installed one since? Is it good?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

JR6 wrote: »
    I was going to get the stanley cara but have been swayed by the features of the Inis boffin stove.
    Has anyone here installed one since? Is it good?
    Thanks.

I'm still thinking about getting one. Wobbie seems to like his anyway!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Fritz Mc A

I have been following this discussion since I also am looking at installing an Inis Insert Stove. - The Inis Bofin. Would you have any advice on this ?
    Any advice much appreciated.
    James

I had prevously looked at the Irish Isle KAYLEY Insert Stove but as I can get no clear information from reviews or their website, I hope the Inis Bo0fin will suit my needs.

Got one in last March and love it.
    I can't recommend it enough, burn a mixture of wood & coal in it.

I have it lit every day since September , wife thinks I'm in love with it !!

It gives off some great heat and once it's up and running all doors in living room need to be opened.

It has a lovely large glass window and really makes the house cosy.

Let me know if you have any specific questions

Cheers

Wobbie

Fritz Mc A wrote: »
    I have been following this discussion since I also am looking at installing an Inis Insert Stove. - The Inis Bofin. Would you have any advice on this ?
    Any advice much appreciated.
    James

I had prevously looked at the Irish Isle KAYLEY Insert Stove but as I can get no clear information from reviews or their website, I hope the Inis Bo0fin will suit my needs.

Well I just bought it yday, to be delivered today and getting it installed next week so I'll let ya know then! But I wouldn't have purchased it if I didn't think it was the right one to get!

Good job I hope you like it, one thing to be careful of is the curing of the paint when stove is new.

Be careful when getting it installed and try hard not to scratch it as the paint is really soft (nearly wet) when new. It hardens after you follow the curing process which is explained in Manual but be very careful before then.

Don't worry about the bad smell as it goes once paint has cured.

Enjoy.

Thank you very much for the replies and advice Wobbie10 & JR6.

One question please, would you have any problem with the riddling mechanism ? do the bars jam or warp at all so far?

Thank you,
    James

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for the replies and advice Wobbie10 & JR6.

One question please, would you have any problem with the riddling mechanism ? do the bars jam or warp at all so far?

Thank you,
    James

The only problem I have had with the bars was my own fault James.
    When I first got the stove I had a huge fire with the wrong type of smokeless coal ...
    I went out and got smokeless coal which turned out to be a mix of pet. coke and union nuggets (not good) the fire burned too hot and I managed to warp one bar very slightly but no biggie.

The world of coal is a confusing place....
    Apart from that no issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

We have one for the last year. great little stove.
    Two of the riddling bars bent over time but went back to dealer who supplied new ones free of charge. I'm leaving them 50% open now as opposed to fully open as per advise given from them.

wobbie10 wrote: »
    The only problem I have had with the bars was my own fault James.
    When I first got the stove I had a huge fire with the wrong type of smokeless coal ...
    I went out and got smokeless coal which turned out to be a mix of pet. coke and union nuggets (not good) the fire burned too hot and I managed to warp one bar very slightly but no biggie.

The world of coal is a confusing place....
    Apart from that no issues at all.

I didn't know about this... Different types of Coal can warp the bars?

JR6 wrote: »
    Well I just bought it yday, to be delivered today and getting it installed next week so I'll let ya know then! But I wouldn't have purchased it if I didn't think it was the right one to get!

Hi JR6, congrats on your new purchase! Would you mind me asking where you got it and price? I was looking at a place up North but their prices have gone up.

Hi JR6, congrats on your new purchase! Would you mind me asking where you got it and price? I was looking at a place up North but their prices have gone up.

PM sent

Thanks for all the help folks.
    I have taken the plunge and ordered a cream coloured Inis Bofin today....

The following details might be of some benefit to others:
    I had originally intended install a Free standing stove but given the dimensions of my room and that I would have to raise a lintel at the fireplace to meet regulations, I decided on an Insert stove.

It took quite a while to decide on the stove as there are a multitude of suppliers, but I eventually settled on the Inis Bofin (thanks to your posts).
    From reading numerous posts and research on the internet over several months, I decided to bite the bullet and go for the safest I could afford as opposed to the cheapest. This included lining the chimney with a flexible liner.

I decided to purchase a stove from a supplier who would fit the stove as well. I found most suppliers willing to sell a stove but would not install, and a few sales people who very little about stoves nor potential safety problems. I recommend this approach.

The full job is costing around 2900 Euros for the following:
    1. Removal of old fireplace surround, hearth & fireback
    2. The 9 metre high Chimney is to be lined with a double skin 6in flexi liner (high grade 904 stainless on inner skin). Cost: Euro 315

3. Various Flexi-liner fittings such as enamel pipe to stove, angle bend, flue cap etc. cost: Euro 160

4. Due to lack of access, I also need to rent a Cherry pick m/c @ Euro. 100 to get at the roof.

5. The fireplace is to be replaced with a marble surround. Cost: Euro 960

6 Inis Bofin Insert Stove Cost: Euro. between 1050 - 1200 (Not exactly sure just yet)

7. Flexi liner & Stove are to be back filled with Vermiculite insulation.
    Cost: Euro 50 for two bags.

8. Carbon monoxide detector.

9. I will not have a direct air vent to the stove as the place is draughty already, but I will install a vent if required down the line.

10. All prices include VAT and all labour costs for installation.

The work is due to be started at the end of January 2014, so I will let you know how it performs.
    Cheers folks.
    James

JR6,
    Would you let me know how you get on with that Inis Bofin ?
    Any advice when it is done would be appreciated.
    James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Good call on the flue liner

Morning Fingers & Wobbie10,

1. Would there be issues when cleaning the Inis Bofin stove? particularly in removing the baffle plate.
    I ask this since we have a serious problem with my father's Freestanding Mulberry stove, where the baffle plate seems to have expanded and is wedged into place.

2. Do you have any experience of cleaning a flexible liner through the stove? I read on one website that for a 6in liner - a 7in Nylon headed brush should be used.

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

9. I will not have a direct air vent to the stove as the place is draughty already, but I will install a vent if required down the line.

Just so you know, it is critical & a must for all open flue appliances, be them oil, gas, solid fuel must have a dedicated properly located NON-CLOSABLE room vent within the room of the appliance.

It's not just an option that could be possibly added down the line. It is a critical component.
    All fossil fuels when burning require oxygen for combustion. The amount of air required is determined by the type of fuel being burned & the amount of fuel burned, i.e. the kw output of the appliance.
    A simple scenario & a simple explanation:
    When you burn the fossil fuel, along with the by-product heat (flame), what goes up the flue is CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) & H2O (Water Vapour) which you do not see due to its high temperature & some amount of CO (Carbon Monoxide). The better the burn, the lower the amount of CO there will be.
    So the fuel holds the H (Hydrogen) & the C (Carbon). We have to add the O (Oxygen) by means of ventilation.
    However, there is only 20.9% oxygen in air so we basically have to add 5 times the amount of air to get the required amount of oxygen.

So, your scenario, you feel you do not need a vent. You light a nice fire. It's cold outside. Your windows are closed & as you say, your house is drafty, so you close the door. The appliance now uses the oxygen from the air within the room. You are feeling sleepy but you think it's 'cos it's nice & toasty in front of the fire.
    If there is not enough oxygen for combustion, chemically what happens is the CO2 had 2 parts oxygen & 1 part carbon. The lack of oxygen becomes CO with 1 part oxygen. Now you have extremely high levels of Carbon Monoxide & then possibly death.
    If the oxygen levels depleted further, another O comes off the CO & becomes C (Carbon) which is soot.
    So when you see high levels of soot, the appliance has gone through extremely high levels of CO before it gets to the soot level. Always be aware of soot staining & marks around appliances for this very reason.

Good luck with your installation and have many years of happy burning with it but if nothing else, install a vent, correctly sized for the kw of the appliance & it must be non-closable.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for the advice Shane.
    I will talk to the installation company again on this issue.
    James

JR6,
    Would you let me know how you get on with that Inis Bofin ?
    Any advice when it is done would be appreciated.
    James

Will do getting it installed next Saturday.

Yes JR6,

James here.

Just had the Inis Bofin installed today. Was great to watch the installation after all the months of research but I am now almost afraid to light the f...king thing.

Delighted so far - even with no fire in it as it looks great compared to what I had before.

Early days on experimenting with fuel and how to run these stoves right etc.. but I am already looking into getting EcoBrite stove fuel locally as well as a few dry logs. We have plenty of turf if the worst comes to it here in Donegal.

James

Congrats on your purchase and many happy fires James!...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rien

What are your experiences with the INIS boiler stoves ?
    I use the INIS MEAIN MK2 boiler stove.

Best Regards,
    Rien Versluys Holland.

Hello Rien,

The stove I had installed is an Inis Boffin Non-Boiler Insert Stove. Sorry but I cannot give you any give on the Inis boiler stoves.
    I only lit my first fire in this new stove a two hours ago - very early days yet, but I am very pleased with the result so far. Tropical type heat.....
    Cheers.
    James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 Country style

Hi all,
    Just wondering how you are finding the inis boffin since yee got it installed, any issues or would you recommend? Thinking of taking the plunge and ordering one but don't want to make an expensive mistake so your input would be much appreciated...
    Thanks

Ya i got it around jan/Feb and I would recommend it. Good heat from it, excellent features eg large ash pan and good riddle grate. And it's a very nice looking stove. We got our with a granite surround and it looks the job!

Hi all,
    Just wondering how you are finding the inis boffin since yee got it installed, any issues or would you recommend? Thinking of taking the plunge and ordering one but don't want to make an expensive mistake so your input would be much appreciated...
    Thanks

Hello Country Style.
    On the Inis Boffin Stove. I must say I am pleased with the stove and the heat output.

The only issue I had with the stove was with the glass 'crazing' after a month of use - Inis Stoves provided a free replacement after I rang them, however within two months the replacement started to 'craze' as well.

I recently purchased another glass from the company who had installed the stove and I have had no issues since - I generally burn only smokeless fuel (EcoGlow) and was told the glass crazing issue may be as a result of the binders used in the production of this smokeless fuel. I would burn a better quality smokeless (EcoBrite) but it is a bit too expensive for me and I cannot get it locally.

Other than the Inis Boffin glass, I have had no problems.
    Just to note that I had the chimney lined with a 6inch stainless flexible liner etc.. so that probably adds significantly to the efficiency of the stove. My living room is small so it provides great heat to the small room.
    I also keep the stove cleaned regularly and have invested in a decent Ash Vacuum Cleaner.

If you are lining the chimney with this flexible liner, just be aware that they would recommend Nylon chimney rods & Brush head to clean the liner and advise that normal chimney rods could damage the liner.

One other point to bear in mind is which fuel you would burning in the stove? Burning Turf, logs, house coal etc.. may cause other issues.
    Jim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Just an opinion on the glass crazing.
    From reading reviews on whatstove it seems that the most common causes of this are-

1.Overburning your stove and then immediate close down(cool down).Its like upping gears in a car from 1-5 without using 2,3,4.So it's probably best to start with a small fire and gradually building up rather than one big inferno.Same when shutting down.

2.As stated fuel type is important.Certain coal contains chemicals like Calco to make them burn to a higher temp.These are really aimed at open fires and are not suitable for stoves as the stove will multiply the heat to a temp that is too high for the stove.

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Just an opinion on the glass crazing.
    From reading reviews on whatstove it seems that the most common causes of this are-

1.Overburning your stove and then immediate close down(cool down).Its like upping gears in a car from 1-5 without using 2,3,4.So it's probably best to start with a small fire and gradually building up rather than possibly I am not ht I was using the stove correctly but one big inferno.Same when shutting down.

2.As stated fuel type is important.Certain coal contains chemicals like Calco to make them burn to a higher temp.These arhouge really aimed at open fires and are not suitable for stoves as the stove will multiply the heat to a temp that is too high for the stove.

Thank you very much for the information - I thought I was using the stove fairly correctly but very possibly I was not. I will keep your advice in mind over this winter....

I am not so sure what I can do on your second point of advice though as EcoGlow is the only smokeless fuel readily available regularly for delivery in this area of West Donegal. We will see hot the new glass performs (your advice in mind) over this winter.
    Thank you again for the advice.

It's interesting what you say about the glass problems with the Inis stove and glazing.

I had the same issue and in fairness Inis sent me out a replacement glass front last year.
    However after a few weeks the cracking appeared again on the glass.

I was aware it could be linked to burning of certain fuel so I only used seasoned wood 90% of the time and a bit of stove specific coal (Bord na mona) and that still didn't work.

Can you send me a contact number for the company that has supplied your most recent glass as I really love a clear glass front and don't think inis have the answers.

Cheers

Wobbie10

wobbie10 wrote: »
    It's interesting what you say about the glass problems with the Inis stove and glazing.

I had the same issue and in fairness Inis sent me out a replacement glass front last year.
    However after a few weeks the cracking appeared again on the glass.

I was aware it could be linked to burning of certain fuel so I only used seasoned wood 90% of the time and a bit of stove specific coal (Bord na mona) and that still didn't work.

Can you send me a contact number for the company that has supplied your most recent glass as I really love a clear glass front and don't think inis have the answers.

Cheers

Wobbie10

Hello wobbie..
    Sorry for the delay - I was in Dublin.....
    I purchased the new glass from Spratt Fireplaces in New Mills, Letterkenny Co. Donegal.

On another point, I was lately advised by a friend who previously worked with stoves that most Glass supply companies would sell a ceramic glass which is suitable for stoves and likely to be cheaper than glass from a stove stop/supplier. If you have a glass supplier in your area you might consider that.
    Cheers Wobbie.
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Hi folks,

In the process of purchasing the InisBoffin from my local supplier and we'll mainly be burning turf and I'm just wondering if anyone else is burning turf and if so, how do you find it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Michael McC

I purchased Inis Boffin insert stove almost 2 years ago and it was the best money I ever spent in the house. I burn turf in the stove as I have access to a turf bank in Tyrone. Turf Must. Be very dry just as timber must also be dry? I generally light the fire with an amount of coal and when it is going well I add the turf, maybe just 3 sods and then place 2 small/ medium sized blocks on top of turf. When that is burning well I then close the air vent way down but not fully closed and this will burn for up to 3 hours producing great heat. My daughter now complains about how warm the living room is.
    Bord na Mona briquettes will burn very well in the stove and produce a lot of heat. I generally only use coal to start the fire, as a mixture of turf and blocks on top seems to produce loads of heat. Adding a few lumps of coal when rebuilding the fire will speed up the the process if the fire has died down very low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

Regarding Inis stoves, there is confusion about their current situation. The companies that used to supply them can't get them anymore. I heard that Gordon's in Ballinasloe supply them them directly to customers but do not install them outside some radius.
    Can anybody clarify what's going on and are the new Inis stoves the same as the old ones?
    I find it all very confusing, especially as the Inis insert stoves were top quality. I would like to know from anyone who knows, if they are still up to that standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭micks_address

Not related it Inis but if you are considering a Stove then Stanley are really easy to get parts for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

brownangel wrote: »
    Regarding Inis stoves, there is confusion about their current situation. The companies that used to supply them can't get them anymore. I heard that Gordon's in Ballinasloe supply them them directly to customers but do not install them outside some radius.
    Can anybody clarify what's going on and are the new Inis stoves the same as the old ones?
    I find it all very confusing, especially as the Inis insert stoves were top quality. I would like to know from anyone who knows, if they are still up to that standard.

Inis stoves were always made in Eastern Europe.
    Inis stoves ceased trading, however the manufacturer still makes them.
    Gordon heating most likely buys them direct now from the Eastern European manufacturer.
    I would imagine the quality is the exact same.

Advertisement