Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBS 2011 Backup

Options
  • 16-07-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm seeking advice on a backup solution for SBS 2011.

Built-in backup software with a locally attached USB HDD is not an option, nor is online backup. Client is OTT paranoid on security.

Backup device is going to be a Buffalo NAS (1TB) and the goal would be:

* an initial full backup of 2 data folders for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

** a backup of what has changed in the 2 folders on each day

*** exchange backup

**** system state (would be nice but not essential)

***** email notification of a successful or failed backup per day

As always, the client doesn't want to spend Christmas yet wants a solution. I know this is asking alot but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I used StorageCraft's ShadowProtect on several SBS servers, works extremely well. I *think* it should cover all those bases for you. Cost would be around 300-400

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Cheers for that. I'll look it up.

Thank you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

humaxf1 wrote: »
    Client is OTT paranoid on security.

I'd love to have a client like that :)

If the server gets infected and then is encrypted, so is the network drive backups. I think he should re-consider the idea of taking full backups from the server once every fortnight and putting them in the company safe or taking them off-site in case something happens like a fire, or a flood. You would be surprised - **** happens.

A 1TB external hard drive costs in the region of €50. Well worth the expense in my opinion.

Advertisement