Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capping / Protection for contemporary wall

Options
  • 07-06-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I need your opinion on something...3 years ago I built a 'contemporary' garden, as part of it I built a 3 ft tall, 1 ft wide and 20 metre length wall to enclose a decking area of the garden. I got this wall plastered and I painted it white. With the 2 freezing spells which we had over the past 2 winters the top of the wall has cracked quite a bit and I've had to break off large pieces and replaster them myself.

I don't want this happening again this winter so I am planning on capping it, or covering it with something which won't cost me too much. Seeing as it encloses a decking area I was going to put wide decking boards on top, however my wife thinks this will be too much decking.

I've looked at rectangular stone pieces as well, though I don't think they'll really fit in with the design of the garden.

What other materials could be an option? What other type of hard wearing wood could I use instead of wide decking boards? I'd like to keep the total cost under €200.

Thanks for your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Strange that the plaster has disintegrated, were two coats applied? You could look at capping the wall with paving stone (600x300mm), eg Granite, Limestone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Strange that the plaster has disintegrated, were two coats applied? You could look at capping the wall with paving stone (600x300mm), eg Granite, Limestone etc.

Not sure if 2 coats were applied, the guy I got to do is fairly recognised in my town here, 2 other people had recommended him to me. Though, looking at the state of the wall here I definitely wouldn't get him to do anything for me again.

Yeah, was thinking about using rectangular paving, I presumed they would cost a lot, though I should probably do some proper pricing on them. I like the low maintenance of the stone, I've enough decking to take of already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Any chance of a pic to see what may suit your garden?

alproctor wrote: »
    Any chance of a pic to see what may suit your garden?

Yeah, was thinking about putting one up alright. I have a decent one somewhere, will try dig it out tonight.

Yeah, was thinking about putting one up alright. I have a decent one somewhere, will try dig it out tonight.

It's really very much like this one, the wall is more or less exactly the same. However, in the enclosed area where this pic has paving, I have decking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Would tiles ( glazed or unglazed ) not suite this style better?

Would tiles ( glazed or unglazed ) not suite this style better?

Ye know, the thought had crossed my mind alright. Will pop in to a few shops for a look I suppose. I've my own tile cutter so I'd get through it quite quick.

Advertisement