Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grisillinia and Chicken Poo

Options
  • 01-06-2011 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭

I recently planted masses of Grisillinia hedging and am now hoping it will grow, as the neighbours apparently have tried growing everything and nothing seems to work for them as far as i know they have never tried grisillinia which i have heard will grow pretty much anywhere.

Now that the hedging is in the ground and has been for a couple of months and is looking healthy is it worth while maybe scattering some chicken manure around the ground at the base of the hedges just to give it an extra help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

I just spent a week at Easter digging out my ten year old grislinia after being killed by frost . Planted laurel instead . Don't waste anymore time on grislinia :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Just dug mine up too. The varigated type was destroyed, but the green type came through fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

lods wrote: »
    I just spent a week at Easter digging out my ten year old grislinia after being killed by frost . Planted laurel instead . Don't waste anymore time on grislinia :mad:

I have heard a few people saying this but apparently if you put some chicken poo and compost around the base of the stalk / trunk in a sort of cone almost wrapping it around it as such in September / October, it should survive the snow and frost, not looking forward to having to spend days doing this though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Tried chicken poop,didn't work. We spent lots of time and lots of money planting loads of Grisilinia, every last one of them died. Apoor guy up my road had a beautiful very well estabilished hedge, it's now gone, twas a blackened stalk until he dug it. Definitely go for the Laurel..

Advertisement