Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 Focus with 3000 miles on clock.

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

My brother is in the process of buying an 05 Ford focus from a UK Ford main dealer. The Car is a 1.6 Ghia, really nice car not a mark on it, first registered October 05. 1 owner and full ford service history. The main thing that concerns me is that it has done so few miles, 3200 miles. All the history checks out with that mileage. But are they any pit falls of buying a three year old car with such low mileage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Dunno.. thats really odd. Maybe ask them about the previous owner, they are likely to remember something since its an odd situation.

Was the car inherited from a relative that died etc.. thats the most likely case for it having low mileage. If so then its hardly a concern..
    The tyres must be like new, etc.

Worst case scenario the battery might crap out.. ha, neat find anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

The dealer said that it was sold to them by the family of man in his 80's that died this year, he only took it out of the garage to go to church on sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kilasser wrote: »
    The dealer said that it was sold to them by the family of man in his 80's that died this year, he only took it out of the garage to go to church on sundays.

A Vicar by any chance.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

My brother is in the process of buying an 05 Ford focus from a UK Ford main dealer. The Car is a 1.6 Ghia, really nice car not a mark on it, first registered October 05. 1 owner and full ford service history. The main thing that concerns me is that it has done so few miles, 3200 miles. All the history checks out with that mileage. But are they any pit falls of buying a three year old car with such low mileage.

A lot of cars in the UK for sale are like that with miniscule mileage. What you have to remember is that unlike us they have a decent enough public transport system so like you said it was an OAP who only drove it at weekends.
    If the HPI check gives it the all clear, then it's worth going after.
    I'd make sure it has a full documented service history anyway.

What's the VRT like on one of those with that kind of mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Brabus wrote: »
    I'd make sure it has a full documented service history anyway.
    Well, it's not really going to have any with only 3200 miles on it, is it? I'd say that it'd be pretty easy to tell if that kind of mileage was genuine, if it was kept in a garage as they said, then everything in the interior should be 100% immaculate with absolutely no signs of wear etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 EI-EAY

It should have been serviced, Close to Annualy regardless of milage. Personally Id prefer to buy something driven a little more regularly, there's a possibility that it was lying idle for a long time.

Alun wrote: »
    Well, it's not really going to have any with only 3200 miles on it, is it? I'd say that it'd be pretty easy to tell if that kind of mileage was genuine, if it was kept in a garage as they said, then everything in the interior should be 100% immaculate with absolutely no signs of wear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Alun wrote: »
    It's three years old, it should have been serviced despite the mileage.

@OP - Make SURE to do a full HPI - a common reason for newish cars to have very low mileage is that they spent a year or two in a yard following an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Full HPI done all ok. Service history shows service every 12 months with arround 1000 miles extra evey time. In side and out its like a brand new car it even smells like a new car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will there still be VAT on it with that low a odo reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's three years old, it should have been serviced despite the mileage.
    Yes, sorry, forgot about that, theoretically it should have done, but with an average of only 1,000 miles a year, I don't think I'd personally lose any sleep if I'd discovered it hadn't been done to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sounds like it's clean from what you've said. My granny's car is the same 4 years old about 3/4000 miles, although it's taken a fair few "knocks".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

MYOB wrote: »
    Will there still be VAT on it with that low a odo reading?

No. its over 6 months old.

is he getting it at a good price??, Take a chance on it. i am surpised its not being grabbed over there locally..but the market in uk is in worse condition than here for car sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Regarding the VAT, it is payable on cars less than 6 months old or with less then 6000 km (3728 miles) on the clock. So make sure there is around 4000 miles on it when presented for VRT. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

My uncle has a 96 micra and its only done about 30,000KM, he drives to work drives home drives to the church on sunday and thats his 3 journeys per week. Rest of the time he gets the bus.

Pete67 wrote: »
    Regarding the VAT, it is payable on cars less than 6 months old or with less then 6000 km (3728 miles) on the clock. So make sure there is around 4000 miles on it when presented for VRT. ;)

wow..i stand corrected. i thought it was and not or. I thought the 6k km was to stop you bringing in new cars and not paying vat. defo check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

I know a genuine 02 Focus that has done just 20k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I know a 96 mondeo with 26000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've an 89 Mazda with only 74k kms (43k miles...)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement