Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter Rifle

Options
  • 19-03-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey,
    Joined a gun club after spending some time on ranges in the US. Just looking at target shooting as a hobby. I was thinking for my first rifle I should select CZ 455 standard, hoping to shoot at distances between 50-100 meters. Mostly it will be used for targets but maybe some rabbits/vermin. I saw the CZ455 Vermin too but not sure on the difference between them.

Anyone tried either rifle or can give me some pointers on the difference?
    BTW will only be getting 22LR for first rifle, no magnum/hornet.

Cheers

beerbaron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The standard 455 has a hogsback stock which makes it easier to use with the iron sights on the rifle.

The 455 Varmint doesn't have iron sights and has a straight comb stock which helps with using a scope.

You can use a scope on the standard 455 too but you'll have to lift your cheek off the stock a bit to help see through the scope. You could also change the standard stock for one from Boyds which would stop you having to lift your cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Hi Strider, thanks for the reply. I will be getting a scope with it. I have an offer of a varmint 455 with scope, mounts and silencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rookman

Hey,
    Joined a gun club after spending some time on ranges in the US. Just looking at target shooting as a hobby. I was thinking for my first rifle I should select CZ 455 standard, hoping to shoot at distances between 50-100 meters. Mostly it will be used for targets but maybe some rabbits/vermin. I saw the CZ455 Vermin too but not sure on the difference between them.

Anyone tried either rifle or can give me some pointers on the difference?
    BTW will only be getting 22LR for first rifle, no magnum/hornet.

Cheers

beerbaron
    Good choice you cannot go wrong with a CZ 22 for a first rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

go with the CZ455, can have target barrel easily fitted, mine has won the Light Varmint Irish trophy from NASRPC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

...I have joined the courtlough gun club.

Do they still only have the one (outdoor) range ?

.... I've not been up there for a couple of years, but traditionally they were very much into shotguns from what I can remember.

Depending on where you are commuting from, I'd have thought there would be more suitable clubs for rifle shooting, even if a little further to travel.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

yes they have two rifle ranges now, at least.
    One is 50 meters with space for about 4 people
    then they have another 1 with 2 lanes of
    50 meters
    75 meters
    100 meters
    I havent been back since I did my rifle induction so there could be more.
    Waiting on a reply form the guards on the application.
    The club house is very nice too. Havent gotten food from it yet but they have a bar

....The club house is very nice too. Havent gotten food from it yet but they have a bar

Thats true and no disrespect intended here, but when it comes to ranges, we should never be distracted by the glossy brochure etc. ;)

The club house may look nice, food and pints are probably great but temporarily putting aside the obvious of no drinking when shooting, how would you get home after having a few drinks there, unless you happened to live within walking distance ?

I fully respect the fact that we are individuals and may have different priorities, but I personally would have been more interested in a larger number of ranges, both indoor and outdoor options, a visible workshop in addition to a good gun & accessory shop, lots of evidence of rifle shooters when I visited the club, evidence of plenty of competitions with teams coming to the club regularly, or the club having teams going to other clubs.

I've absolutely nothing against Courtlough btw, it's a very nice set up but it just didn't meet the criteria of what I was looking for, when looking of a rifle club.

Thanks,

G.

yea no offense taken. As I said its my first rifle so I can always check out the other clubs for next years membership. I'm happy with whats available for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thanks but I am in the US currently with work.

Whereabouts?

The CZ, from what I have heard is a great gun. I have made a promise to myself to buy one before the Ruger 10/22 collection hits a dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

Or a Fat Hog bike.

FISMA wrote: »
    Whereabouts?

The CZ, from what I have heard is a great gun. I have made a promise to myself to buy one before the Ruger 10/22 collection hits a dozen.

• Advertisement

the ruger 10/22 was going to be my first choice. However I heard that due to it being semi auto the cleaning of inside the chamber where the clip meets the top of the rifle is difficult. The knock on effect is that it is prone to jamming. Still no word from the guards so its been a month now I think, hope to hear form them soon.

...Still no word from the guards so its been a month now I think, hope to hear form them soon.

A friendly phonecall won't do any harm. Speak with the Garda responsible for firearms licences (aka the "firearms officer"), odds are he/she will have run their eye over it before passing it up the line to the super, so should be able to confirm that the application was in order etc. and also might do you a favour and mention to the super that you were on enquiring :)

Thanks,

G.

Rang them today and it was approved last week. just waiting on the post now. not too long till I hit the range!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Rang them today and it was approved last week. just waiting on the post now. not too long till I hit the range!

congrats happy shooting :cool:
    applying for a cz455 varmaint .22lr myself:D

davycc wrote: »
    congrats happy shooting :cool:
    applying for a cz455 varmaint .22lr myself:D

Sounds good! is it your first rifle? Im hitting the range tomorrow and hopefully will have the scope sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Sounds good! is it your first rifle? Im hitting the range tomorrow and hopefully will have the scope sighted.

yea my first rifle too..:)
    joined harbour house range myself brilliant set up and friendly staff and shooters but sadly over 100mile round trip so i might join courtlough too as way closer after the summer

Advertisement