Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris - No Compression On Cylinder

Options
  • 19-11-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Anyone had problems like this with a Yaris, it's a 2001 model and apparently there is no compression on one of the cylinders which will cost €1,000(according to a Toyota dealer) to repair!

Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sounds like the head gasket is gone.
    Get quotes for the job off other (reputable) mechanics. I'm sure it can be done for less!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is there no compression or low compression on one cylinder??

Has the car any other symptoms? coolant loss, oil loss, coolant in the oil?

If the compression is very low, it might not be the head gasket, it could be a sticking exhaust valve...

A leak down test is needed to identify the problem correctly. I would not take the head off the engine without doing a leak down test.

I would be surprised if Toyota want to take the head off without doing a leak down test on the cylinder...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm not aware of any other symptoms, the engine light came on amber(service guide recommends it be brought to a dealer when it comes on) and the car was chugging and sort of vibrating when the engine was turned on. It's never given any problems until this, I find it odd that it would suddenly need a €1,000 worth of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rALLy

I had something similar, car was chugging and way down on power. Did a comp test and there was no compression in cyclinder 1. Turned out to be a melted exhaust valve..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

rALLy wrote: »
    I had something similar, car was chugging and way down on power. Did a comp test and there was no compression in cyclinder 1. Turned out to be a melted exhaust valve..

Was it expensive to get fixed? Is your car also a Yaris of similar age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You'll need to take it to another garage who can do a leak down test.... its quite a quick test to do, especially if you know which cylinder has the problem...

Then make a decision... I haven't heard of head gaskets going on the yaris, so i would be a little suspicious...

Advertisement