Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning puke!

Options
  • 01-07-2015 10:01pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭

So my poor wee daughter was sick at the weekend and we had to drive Meath to Cork.

Long story short, she puked in the car and it stinks! Got most cleaned up straight away but the floor mat just won't loose the odour..

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A tip from a taxi-driving friend that I had some success with back in my student days when a friend puked in my mother's car: squirt some wood glue into a plastic tub and leave it in the car over-night with the windows shut tight, open them up for an hour or so the next day after you take out the wood glue.

Alternatives: cut an onion in half I and leave it in the car, they absorb odours out of the air.

If the car has air-con, get one of the aircon cleaners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Baking soda is good to get rid of smell too. Or a steam cleaner maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

From a similar experience I can definitely recommend baking soda!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 lampylady

baking soda is brilliant! put it in fridges and shoes to get rid of odors. covers a multitude!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Tried the onion last night as I had no baking soda, no smell of puke anymore, just onion, which I'm not too fond of!
    Not sure which was worse..

Will try baking soda tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Baking soda is the job. Has a bottle of sour milk explode in the car a few weeks back. It was the only thing that would get the smell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

As far as I know it's bread soda you need rather than baking soda.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    As far as I know it's bread soda you need rather than baking soda.

They're the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're the same thing

My mistake. I was mixing up bread soda and baking powder. I think baking soda is bread soda in American?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

what do you do with the baking soda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

AFAIK they are all sodium Bicarbonate.

Put a tub / bowl in fridge, bin, car etc. Soaks up odours. Great for cleaning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

AFAIK they are all sodium Bicarbonate.

Put a tub / bowl in fridge, bin, car etc. Soaks up odours. Great for cleaning too.

So no water or anything?
    Just a bowl of dry soda?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

Yeah just in an open container and leave in car.

Probably put a lid on while driving!

You can sprinkle dry on carpets, leave a while and hoover up.

Can also mix with water and use to scrub carpets. Not too sure if it would be OK to use on something like a headliner though.

Also great for smelly runners.

I made a paste of it. It turned yellow/brown and got the small out. I brushed it then hoovered off.

Advertisement