Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plant to prevent children on fence

Options
  • 29-06-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

What would be a good thorny plant to run along the top of a 5 meter picket fence to keep children off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Daisy, Daisy the rottweiler. Failing that some Hawthorn will do the trick, and its native so good for wildlife and all that jazz.

Rottweiler%2BDog%2BBreed%2BPhotos%2B01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sunnihuckle

Daisy, Daisy the rottweiler. Failing that some Hawthorn will do the trick, and its native so good for wildlife and all that jazz.

Rottweiler%2BDog%2BBreed%2BPhotos%2B01.jpg
    daisy i wish;) hawthorn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

+1 Hawthorn, very quick growing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Hawthorn may take quite a while to get to 5 metres. Berberis and pyracanthus would be good aswell but also quite slow growing. You could try training something from the Rubus family along it. Perhaps something like this:

http://thewalledgardenblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/winter-colour-rubus-cockburnianus.html

Aside from being thorny it will also produce berries for you. Will put up more info when I'm back at a computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I'll make 2 presumptions here. 1. That the fence is 5m long not high and 2. that you chose a picket fence as a decorative feature (there's many cheaper options if its just needed as a barrier). I therefore wouldn't recommend planting hawthorn or other large shrubs in front of it as it would only hide the fence. Have you thought about training some rambling roses over the fence.

Just google climbing roses and half the images will be of roses growing on picket fences- a classic cottage garden look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yi Harr wrote: »
    pyracanthus would be good aswell

+1

We used to have kids walking on top of the wall. Not any more. Not even cats will walk on it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Get some regular ivy, and tell the kids is poison ivy.

Advertisement