Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help identify this crawler/weed??

Options
  • 28-06-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I'm on what can only be described as a mission, to clear my inherited garden, which was uncared for. My neighbour on one side has a garden which is completely overgrown. There are trees up to 50ft overlooking us and there is some kind of weed/crawler growing all over these trees and it has found it's way onto some bushes in our front garden.

I'm cuting everthing my side of the line down so I have a bare canvas to start with again. My question is this. Can anyone identify the plant and what is the best way to stop it from growing into our property??

Pics attached (hopefully). Really appreciate any advice and comments. Thanks

Description:
    Stringy weed.
    Stalk is auburn/red colour near end of weed whcih seems to curl around and then twist/spiral around the stalk back towards the root of the plant sometimes???
    At the moment there is a tiny flower on the ends, whcih look like little white petals with a small bit of colour in the middle.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It looks like a type of bindweed. There's information on getting rid of it HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

It looks like a type of bindweed. There's information on getting rid of it HERE

It may be a type of bindweed, but it is nothing like the one in that thread. Maybe the methods to get rid of it will work though.... thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That looks like Russian Vine or Mile a Minute plant. Good luck with getting rid of it! It is - amazingly - probably all coming from one, or a few plants, and if you can dig those up all you will have to do is clear the tangle of vines. You may get new shoots coming up so treat them with a systemic weedkiller. I managed to remove one and once I had got the root ball up I had no more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

I agree with looksie, it appears to me to be Russian Vine (Fallopia sp.)

It's a rampant grower but generally does not propagate all over the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

On closer inspection it does look like Fallopia Aubertii, or Russian vine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Thanks folks.... The problem is that the root or roots are living next door. I was wondering if I sprayed roudup on all the leaves, or dipped the vines in a roundup liquid mixture of some kind would it travel backwards and kill the whole thing keeping in mind I might only get a bit of the 'whole' thing????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, get Roundup on as much leaf area as you can, especially on new looking growth nearer to the root. Suggest you try and gently pull as much as you can to a clear space and douse it well. Then leave it - they say 3 weeks but I have found it can take longer than that on, for example, long lengths of bindweed.

Advertisement