Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you want to live for something that really matters?

• 19-06-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately, perhaps it is a bit too deep for AH, but I hope it will provide some form of interesting discussion.

I.E - What do you want to leave behind when this life is over?

Or even, what do you think would make your life matter? What do you want to leave behind? Do you want to live for something that will outlast this existence on earth? If so, what is it?

A lot of questions, but I'm really interested to hear what you all have to say on it. Poll coming as well.

Do you want to live for something that will outlast this existence on earth? 27 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    81%
    Karl HungusPyr0philologosWibbsDemoniqueSea Sharpphp-foxProf.BadassMy name is URLNodinScissorPaperRockDylanS09Hank_Joneshypersquirrelkarlogddefsome_dosePeterIanStakergreener greeneMillicent 22 votes
    Atari Jaguar / Don't care
    18%
    WackerSam VimesDennis the StoneSVPinturicchio 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Nothing really matters, anyone can see...

Nothing really matters...

To meeeeeeeeeeee.....

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Being a parent, I cant imagine there's Anything else in my life, that's going to mean more to me than my daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

No
    Some people add to the advancement of humankind, some people take away from it. I want to leave this world a net contributor.

I don't expect to do anything huge mind you, just bits here and there, making sure my actions don't contribute towards making the world a worse place to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Well I suppose my highly intelligent & insightful comments on Boards will be around for many generations to read & marvel at my wonderful thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

No
    What matters in my life are my family and friends. As you know Jakkass, I'm not religious, so I'm not concerned with an afterlife. But I love my family and friends and try to do my best for them. Without getting too personal, everyone is fine right now - and transitory things like money and material posessions are nothing compared to a person's mental and physical health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Just what is it that you want to do?
    We wanna be free
    We wanna be free to do what we wanna do
    And we wanna get loaded
    And we wanna have a good time
    That's what we're gonna do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Atari Jaguar / Don't care
    I voted No. Not that I necessarily feel that way, but if Jakkass is going way, I'm going the other!

Nothing personal Jakkass me ol' mucker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

No
    My legacy after I take over the World, obviously !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Jakkass wrote: »
    This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately, perhaps it is a bit too deep for AH, but I hope it will provide some form of interesting discussion.

Or even, what do you think would make your life matter? What do you want to live behind? Do you want to live for something that will outlast this existence on earth? If so, what is it?

A lot of questions, but I'm really interested to hear what you all have to say on it. Poll coming as well.

Ok this is a Jesus thing isn't it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't really care, I've spent so long being just so terribly miserable and depressed I just want to turn all of that around and live my own life as best as I can. If I have a legacy or something when it's all said and done, that's great, but I'm not going to strive for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

No
    Ok this is a Jesus thing isn't it ?

People already know what I believe. In fact I am much more interested in what others have to say. It's a fascinating question in general that I find myself thinking about a lot. I'm sure a lot of other people find themselves thinking about this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

No
    I'd like to write a book. I plan on trying it in my late 20s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Genrikh Yagoda

No
    I want to get out of Ireland, that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

A big statue would be grand thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Do you want to live for something that will outlast this existence on earth? If so, what is it?
    So, do I want to live for cockroaches and plastic bags? Those are about the only things that will outlast humanity.

If, by your question, you meant some kind of great achievement, some monument (physical or intellectual) that will outlast humanity ... what's the point? There won't be anyone around to appreciate it. If you're going to make a difference to the lives of people, now is the time to do it. This life is all you have - and the same is true for every other person else you meet. If I've made someone's life better, today, that's all the monument I care for.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Debts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Pete M. wrote: »
    Just what is it that you want to do?
    We wanna be free
    We wanna be free to do what we wanna do
    And we wanna get loaded
    And we wanna have a good time
    That's what we're gonna do

Oway Baby lets go!
    We're gona have a good time,
    we're gona have a party!!

One of my favourite tunes ever

No
    bnt wrote: »
    So, do I want to live for cockroaches and plastic bags? Those are about the only things that will outlast humanity.

I'm not referring to humanity in general. I'm referring to what will outlive your current life being 75 years roughly on average.
    bnt wrote: »
    If, by your question, you meant some kind of great achievement, some monument (physical or intellectual) that will outlast humanity ... what's the point? There won't be anyone around to appreciate it. If you're going to make a difference to the lives of people, now is the time to do it. This life is all you have - and the same is true for every other person else you meet. If I've made someone's life better, today, that's all the monument I care for.

I haven't clarified what I meant, intentionally. Many people will have different notions of what they want to outlive them. For example, some have mentioned their children, some have mentioned just leaving the world a slightly better place, it could also mean fame and renown. It could mean a number of things.

As for the interaction that you are defining for each person you meet, it could be the impact of that interaction that you may well live behind. People often underestimate such interactions, but sometimes they can be life-changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I want to raise a good family, and have a happy life.

If I can achieve those two things, I'll die happy - nothing else really matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I think the most we can aspire to is having something named after us. Something more or less permanent and immutable. A scientific principle would be nice.
    Not to sound harsh, but you're remembered by friends for the duration of their life, and by family for, if you're lucky, a generation or three after your death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ozymandias.

I want to leave behind some works so impressive that even powerful people will look on them and despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Genrikh Yagoda

No
    brummytom wrote: »

exciting stuff

No
    Nevore wrote: »
    I think the most we can aspire to is having something named after us. Something more or less permanent and immutable. A scientific principle would be nice.
    Not to sound harsh, but you're remembered by friends for the duration of their life, and by family for, if you're lucky, a generation or three after your death.

It mightn't necessarily mean personal renown, it could mean working for a cause that will continue long after this life that you are living is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

exciting stuff
    Didn't say anything about being interesting in the OP? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

brummytom wrote: »

Are you 16 or 36 ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Well I suppose my highly intelligent & insightful comments on Boards will be around for many generations to read & marvel at my wonderful thoughts.

And the other 1069 comments as well. :p

Advertisement