Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article in Daily Mail which is "not making excuses" for bloody sunday. What a rag...

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I was born in the UK, and all of my British contemporaries also think that the Daily Mail is a sh1t newspaper, so you must feel persecuted all round.:P

Thats because your from a city which means you like labour, which means you hate the conservatives so will hate the dailymail!:P

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Look - I'm a pretty moderate person - but - try to look at the big picture here::mad:

1: A group of people went on a protest march - looking for Basic Human Rights that were being denied to them.

2: They were murdered in cold blood, by people who were meant to be keeping the peace

3: An inquiry was set up, and a pack of lies were told.

Try to imagine, if you can, how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot. You've just had your father/brother shot down in cold blood. To add to your grief, your loved one is then maligned as a "terrorist".
    These lies are then supported by an "inquiry":rolleyes: There's a name for that, you know - it's usually called collusion.

29 years later - finally - the truth is told - and all you can do is complain about how much it cost - even though the additional cost was not caused by the victims or their families!!

Now, I've gone on record as saying that I feel sorry for anyone who has lost innocent loved ones in Northern Ireland, whatever their political stance. The plain unvarnished truth is that innocent people, both Unionist and Nationalist have died in Northern Ireland.

The humane among us can recognise that neither Unionists nor Nationalists grieve any less for their loved ones, just because we go to a particular church/want to be represented by a different Government.

There was "an unjustified, and unjustifiable" atrocity perpetrated on Bloody Sunday. That does not mean there were no other atrocities perpetrated in Northern Ireland - but they are not the ones being discussed here - and they were not carried out by security forces.
    Try to understand the difference - your posts seem to consistently defend the indefensible - and they do a grave disservice to the people who genuinely want to put Hatred, and Bigotry, behind them - including the people whose political affiliation you share.:(

Noreen

Yes, but they shot at the british forces that is one thing that was hidden, you see all them politicians in Sf they were all holding guns on that day aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

owenc wrote: »
    Yes, but they shot at the british forces that is one thing that was hidden, you see all them politicians in Sf they were all holding guns on that day aswell.

No, they didn't. Are you just looking for attention?

Nodin wrote: »
    No, they didn't. Are you just looking for attention?

No, i am not, they did, my dad was in the police and he told me that they were carrying guns and shot at them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No, i am not, they did, my dad was in the police and he told me that they were carrying guns and shot at them first.

He told you wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Well if the Saville report's shown us anything, it's that the RUC and the British Army always tell the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

3.26 The shots fired by Lieutenant N hit buildings, but injured no-one. These were the first rifle shots fired in the area after soldiers had gone into the Bogside. Lieutenant N’s evidence was that he believed that his shots were the only way of preventing the crowd from attacking him and the soldiers with him. We do not accept that evidence. In our view Lieutenant N probably fired these shots because he decided that this would be an effective way of frightening the people and moving them on, and not because he considered that they posed such a threat to him or the other soldiers that firing his rifle was the only option open to him. In our view this use of his weapon cannot be justified.

http://www.bloody-sunday-inquiry.org/

brummytom wrote: »
    Well if the Saville report's shown us anything, it's that the RUC and the British Army always tell the truth

My father wouldn't lie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thats because your from a city which means you like labour, which means you hate the conservatives so will hate the dailymail!:P

I've never lived in a city.

In a poll, conducted in my head, 99% of people decided that The Daily Mail is pure sh1t. The other 1% committed suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

It was claimed that they shot at the British Forces. The enquiry states that this was untrue. You weren't there, and neither was I. What is certain is that no soldier was shot - and I have trouble believing that gunmen on rooftops couldn't pick off a couple of soldiers if they wanted to! Realistically, the IRA shot a fair few people in Northern Ireland - and so did Unionist paramilitaries.

To suggest that the IRA couldn't wound one soldier on Bloody Sunday, had they intended to do so, just doesn't seem very logical to me.

Now, you say that the fact that people were shooting at British soldiers was hidden - but the conclusion was reached that the first shot was fired by a British soldier. Bear in mind that the soldiers who were involved gave evidence to the tribunal. Bear in mind, too, that one soldier shot 4 people. Is it so hard to believe that, out of all the soldiers in the British army, some of them might actually have either a: Panicked, or B: Just decided they could shoot people with impunity?
    No one here has suggested that every British soldier was an evil so and so - but if you think about the sheer numbers of them - some of them had to be!
    Equally, some people joined paramilitary organisations to protect their communities - others joined them with one objective in mind - and that was revenge against what they perceived as "the enemy" - conveniently forgetting that that "enemy" was all too often just an ordinary person, on their way to work, or whatever.

I will say it again - innocent people have died on both sides of the political spectrum. That also means that injustices have been carried out by both sides of the political spectrum. Only when both sides really, really take that on board, can there begin to be any hope for peace in Northern Ireland.
    Think about it - because if you can manage to make me angry (and I'm pretty much a person who thinks that most people just want to go about their daily lives in peace)- I'd hate to think of how people who are less moderate are going to react.

The kind of unreasoning refusal to accept that "my" side did no wrong - is what contributed to the whole sad story that was Northern Ireland for far too long. Unless that attitude changes - then the whole sorry mess is a powderkeg waiting for the fuse to be lit.

It's your choice whether you want to help light that fuse - or whether you think too many lives have already been lost.

Noreen

I've never lived in a city.

In a poll, conducted in my head, 99% of people decided that The Daily Mail is pure sh1t. The other 1% committed suicide.

Well, you come from some labour area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Note that there are zero comments on the article. What's the chance of that, eh?

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

What's wrong with being from a labour area? :confused:

Labour's the only real choice for anyone who's not:
    * Rich
    * Very Rich
    * Thick (i.e. does what Murdoch tells them)

No, I always lived in Tory strongholds, and was always surrounded by true-blue Chinless Tory wonders, which is why I know that they are all arseholes.

No, I always lived in Tory strongholds, and was always surrounded by true-blue Chinless Tory wonders, which is why I know that they are all arseholes.

I'm Sorry? How dare you say that, you and your wee labour party better run off to europe as quick as hell with all your wee laws about "human rights" and the euro before i do something.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Anyone who has ever had a glance at the Weather forum will know that owenc has a problem with accepting fact. I have jumped to my own conclusions based on his maturity and decided that he is 8 years old.

Aside from this, it is shocking that people purchase the Daily Mail in Ireland. It would be like the average Joe Soap in England buying An Poblactht! It is tremendously worrying that the readership figures for tabloids like this outstrips that for broadsheets. Farenheit 451 is the future and it is bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

ARE GAYS DEVALUING BRITAIN'S SWANS?

Class.

D-Generate wrote: »
    Anyone who has ever had a glance at the Weather forum will know that owenc has a problem with accepting fact. I have jumped to my own conclusions based on his maturity and decided that he is 8 years old.

Aside from this, it is shocking that people purchase the Daily Mail in Ireland. It would be like the average Joe Soap in England buying An Poblactht! It is tremendously worrying that the readership figures for tabloids like this outstrips that for broadsheets. Farenheit 451 is the future and it is bleak.

Were you stalking me!:eek::eek: oh, and i'm not even going to bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

ahhh owenc defending the honour of the rag the daily mail. I have literally seen it all now...

/quits internet.

I'm Sorry? How dare you say that, you and your wee labour party better run off to europe as quick as hell with all your wee laws about "human rights" and the euro before i do something.:mad:

So, what are you going to do?:P

• Advertisement

So, what are you going to do?:P

Shut you up!:P:P

Shut you up!:P:P

Many have tried, but none have succeeded.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

And yet another thread which started off as serious debate degenerates into a slanging match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

its a british paper what do you expect, sure yous are always running the british down, yous are far worse, let me tell you that!!!

so just because something is british we should just expect it as a given that it will spew bile about the irish? :rolleyes:

For Frigg sake people if you don't like the bloody paper don't read it, i'm getting sick of anti-british-conservative rants, its really doing my head in, me and my family read that everyday and that is just an insult to us.

when i heard you were 16, that explained a lot to me, now hearing this, explains so much more.....

aDeener wrote: »
    so just because something is british we should just expect it as a given that it will spew bile about the irish? :rolleyes:

Sure thats what the irish do, why can't the british do it.

Sure thats what the irish do, why can't the british do it.

any more generalisations while we're at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Excuse me! Jaysus you people really are stuck up, what the hell did the british do to you ( in the last 50 years... before you start moaning:rolleyes:)! personally i think its just jealousy.

I never would have guessed you were a Daily Mail reader :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just google "hurrah for the blackshirts" and look at the first result. Just a pity the Mail for some reason doesn't publicly glorify it's past editions and front pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Much as it preturbs me In the latest instalment of the Owenc V's Nodin bunfight I find myself largely in agreement with the latter...........
    D-Generate wrote: »
    Aside from this, it is shocking that people purchase the Daily Mail in Ireland. It would be like the average Joe Soap in England buying An Poblactht! .

Agreed but I would go somewhat further and contend that its rather disturbing that anyone in Ireland buys On pub locked or that anyone in England (not to mention Scotland, Wales or that other place) buys the Daily Heil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

This article is absolutely disgusting, it takes every conclusion the Saville enquiry makes and just disregards it. I knew this paper was a rag, but I'm suprised at how much of a rag it is. It truly is only suitable to be used as bog roll. Are they saying things like this to be deliberatly controversial and to generate publicity or do they really believe them to be true? The mind boggles. Any person reading this should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

For Frigg sake people if you don't like the bloody paper don't read it, i'm getting sick of anti-british-conservative rants, its really doing my head in, me and my family read that everyday and that is just an insult to us.

If you overheard someone saying something bad or slanderous you would challenge not just ignore them. It's the same with that paper you have the right to disagree with it

Advertisement