Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article in Daily Mail which is "not making excuses" for bloody sunday. What a rag...

• 18-06-2010 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

What an utterly ****e anti Irish paper. I can't believe they try to flog an Irish version of that crap here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1286909/No-excuses-forget-context-Bloody-Sunday.html
    But what is undeniable (apart from the fact that it made some lawyers very rich) is that Northern Ireland today is more peaceful than it's been for decades. For this, the overwhelming glory must go to the police and 250,000 soldiers who served there, of whom all but a handful showed almost superhuman restraint. As we illustrate on our front page, these men, and their sons and grandsons who are dying now in Afghanistan, are the true face of the British Army. And nothing can diminish the debt we owe them....

....But such protests are fruitless. The bitter truth is that the Saville Inquiry was set up (and how fortuitous for Tony Blair that he's not around to reap what he has sown) as just one of a series of squalid moral compromises in the name of the peace process.

So basically what they are saying is that the Saville report is bull**** just to appease the Catholics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

samsemtex wrote: »
    What an utterly ****e anti Irish paper. I can't believe they try to flog an Irish version of that crap here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1286909/No-excuses-forget-context-Bloody-Sunday.html

So basically what they are saying is that the Saville report is bull**** just to appease the Catholics.

FFS Man it is the mail what did you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

The mail is a tabloid rag with delusions of grandeur. The Indo group in this country is pretty much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Ah. The Daily Mail, that bastion of journalistic integrity....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I wouldn't light the fire with a copy of the Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Daily mail headline generator, its good for sh1ts and giggles

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

squalid moral compromises
    The investigation into the murder of unarmed civilians by British troops... a squalid moral compromise...?

I post on some UK fora, and the amount of British people essentially saying "Ah, it's all in the past, let byegones be byegones, no point in charging anyone, put it behind us" is making me quite uncomfortable to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I'm with PeterIanStaker here

What a pile of crap, at least we can take some comfort in the fact that the Irish Daily Mail is only aimed at housewives and sure them lot are already a bunch of nazis so the paper's only preaching to the choir

The Indo is close behind them, a really god-awful abortion of a newspaper too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Next - "Ku Klux Klan in Racist Cross Burning Shock!!!!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Grand bit of readin in it anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Only to be expected from the Daily Bile, written by idiots for morons..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not defending it or anything, but it's just an opinion piece. We have enough 'journalists' in this country which use outrage as a means of peddaling their warez.. the biggest of which has written many anti-Irish articles in the Indo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

So what they're saying is basically: "We don't hate the Irish, BUT......"

whay am i not surprised by that rag :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

For 30 minutes, in the fear and confusion of that fateful afternoon in 1972, Paratroopers policing an illegal march lost their discipline and self-control.

Hmmm, if the Daily Fail are so keen to explain the context of the situation you think they would have high-lighted the context surrounding the ''illegal'' march i.e. to get Civil Rights for Catholics which so grossly denied to them in the North. :rolleyes:

That article is beyond insulting for the victims' families but what more would you expect from that rag...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Not defending it or anything, but it's just an opinion piece. We have enough 'journalists' in this country which use outrage as a means of peddaling their warez.. the biggest of which has written many anti-Irish articles in the Indo

Including at least two this week. Lets refer to him as only K.M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

What a ****ing rag.
    True, many may question the reliability of evidence given to an inquiry that began more than a quarter of a century after the events it examined - and God alone knows why Lord Saville took 12 staggering years to prepare his report.

Answers the question in the same bloody sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

This is no surprise to me. The Daily Fail has always been a right-wing rag, the mouthpiece of the Monday Club. And it's brimming with hostility towards anybody who doesn't agree with them - and that's something like seven eighths of the UK and 95 percent of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah? The Daily Mail is the new Hitler!

/Godwins Law.

/Necessary trolling to anti-troll the inevitable Daily Mail trolling that will troll.....occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

"superhuman resistance" -- *shiver* -- just has too much of the KCNA's style of reporting for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't light the fire with a copy of the Daily Mail.

You like it that much??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Daily Mail winds up its intended targets. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

With the Daily Mails nobody gets out alive and everybodys guilty /innocent .

Todays uk edition page 10 has ''Did Martin McGuinness fire a machine gun in those lost minutes on bloody sunday ? ''

Fcuk me , I dont recall any soldiers being shot dead that day on the bogside but 13 civillians were :rolleyes:

• It's so ridiculous you can't do anything but laugh. I love how the irony is just totally lost on them, they're saying NI is more peaceful than ever because of the work of the British army - well perhaps if they hadn't taken over the place, there wouldn't have been any Troubles! So many British people talk about Northern Ireland as if it had absolutely nothing to do with them. My mum is English and she is so embarrassed by this ridiculous 'poor us' carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I have sent them emails expressing how distasteful i find that article considering the legal battle the families had to endure to clear the deads names! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

"COULD CHAVS GIVE MIDDLE BRITAIN DIABETES?"

Win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

anti irish?

they have burnt the ass off sean fitzpatrick, printing his legal threat letters, laughing in his face and daring him to take them to court

they are up there with wolf tone for that alone

their article opens with
    "Bloody Sunday was a shameful day in the proud history of the British Army."

it was a day of shame and they reaped what they sowed, but remember we would all be speaking german only for the brave US, russian and UK soldiers of 1942

but hey the op is called samsemtex
    semtex the east european plastic explosive crammed into surgical tubing and wrapped around fertilizer and icing sugar, that triggered the explosion that vaporised a little boy in omagh one afternoon along with many others

now that was anti Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

moonpurple wrote: »
    anti irish?

they have burnt the ass off sean fitzpatrick, printing his legal threat letters, laughing in his face and daring him to take them to court

their article opens with

it was a day of shame and they reaped what they sowed, but remember we would all be speaking german only for the brave US, russian and UK soldiers of 1942

semtex the east european plastic explosive crammed into surgical tubing and wrapped around fertilizer and icing sugar, that triggered the explosion that vaporised a little boy in omagh one afternoon along with many others

now that was anti Irish

Oh do **** off. what the hell has my username to do with anything? Am I to assume any user with the word dynamite (eg dynamitedave) in his name has a penchant for mining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

Oh do **** off. what the hell has my username to do with anything? Am I to assume any user with the word dynamite in his name has a penchant for mining?

anti irish?

their article opens with

now that was anti Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

will you people stop giving that rag exposure, let it die a silent death, do not advertise it, just close this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

anti irish?

their article opens with

now that was anti Irish
    anti irish?

their article opens with

now that was anti Irish

Are you stuck on repeat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

anti irish?

i can't believe you need to ask that question :confused: especially during the troubles they directed nothing but bile at the irish.

ive said it before, any irish person who buys it, is a fucking simpleton imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Oh do **** off. what the hell has my username to do with anything? Am I to assume any user with the word dynamite (eg dynamitedave) in his name has a penchant for mining?

Sure, i'm a gurrier tracksuit laden scumbag ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I thought they would have blamed illegal Romanian asylum seekers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

ARE SINGLE MOTHERS INFECTING YOUR MORTGAGE WITH AIDS?

That dailymail headline maker is fúckin quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

First one I got was 'Could the Poles give the British taxpayer Cancer?'

I can actually imagine that scrawled across the front page of the Daily Nazi Mail one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

WILL GYPSIES GIVE YOUR PENSION SWINE FLU?

HAVE THE POLES MOLESTED YOUR CHILDREN?

Ah, I do love that website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

in the fact that the Irish Daily Mail is only aimed at housewives and sure them lot are already a bunch of nazis so the paper's only preaching to the choir

Ah yes, so speaks Mr Too Intelligent for the Irish Daily Mail. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Oisinjm wrote: »
    ARE SINGLE MOTHERS INFECTING YOUR MORTGAGE WITH AIDS?

Genius! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Whats wrong with that, they didn't say anything offensive or is it just because they have the word police in it!:rolleyes: Are you saying that the policemen of Northern Ireland shouldn't be thanked for being here and looking after people in the troubles??

aDeener wrote: »
    i can't believe you need to ask that question :confused: especially during the troubles they directed nothing but bile at the irish.

ive said it before, any irish person who buys it, is a fucking simpleton imo

its a british paper what do you expect, sure yous are always running the british down, yous are far worse, let me tell you that!!!

First one I got was 'Could the Poles give the British taxpayer Cancer?'

I can actually imagine that scrawled across the front page of the Daily Nazi Mail one day.

For Frigg sake people if you don't like the bloody paper don't read it, i'm getting sick of anti-british-conservative rants, its really doing my head in, me and my family read that everyday and that is just an insult to us.

• Advertisement

[quote=[Deleted User];66476576]It's so ridiculous you can't do anything but laugh. I love how the irony is just totally lost on them, they're saying NI is more peaceful than ever because of the work of the British army - well perhaps if they hadn't taken over the place, there wouldn't have been any Troubles! So many British people talk about Northern Ireland as if it had absolutely nothing to do with them. My mum is English and she is so embarrassed by this ridiculous 'poor us' carry on.[/QUOTE]

But, if the irish take over Northern Ireland there will be fighting again aswell.. goes both ways you see.:P
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Only to be expected from the Daily Bile, written by idiots for morons..

Excuse me! Jaysus you people really are stuck up, what the hell did the british do to you ( in the last 50 years... before you start moaning:rolleyes:)! personally i think its just jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

"the overwhelming glory must go to the police and 250,000 soldiers who served there, of whom all but a handful showed almost superhuman restraint."

By far the best line. Its like they're saying that the civilians deserved to be shot randomly and without mercy but the soldiers grumpily just decided to do their jobs instead.

I can imagine British soldiers facepalming reading this sh1te and thinking stop fcuking trying to stand up for us!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

owenc wrote: »
    Whats wrong with that, they didn't say anything offensive or is it just because they have the word police in it!:rolleyes: Are you saying that the policemen of Northern Ireland shouldn't be thanked for being here and looking after people in the troubles??

Those who conducted their job properly, yes.
    Those who colluded in murder or who let murderers roam free becuase they were informing or those who harrassed civilians etc., no.
    its a british paper what do you expect, sure yous are always running the british down, yous are far worse, let me tell you that!!!
    Some people here run the British down but that's a far cry from an organ of the state mowing down civilian protestors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

owenc.. you can multi-quote posts instead of quoting each one individually. It makes the thread look neater when you do that.

Just click on this icon for each post you want to reply to and then on the quote button of the final post you're replying to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

WILL SINGLE MOTHERS GIVE BRITAIN'S FARMERS SWINE FLU?

HAVE HOODIES MADE YOUR CHILDREN OBESE?

IS THE NANNY STATE IMPREGNATING THE COUNTRYSIDE?

HAVE THE UNIONS TURNED ENGLAND GAY?

this is so fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Can we just get a supermerge daily mail megathread going?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Excuse me! Jaysus you people really are stuck up, what the hell did the british do to you ( in the last 50 years... before you start moaning:rolleyes:)! personally i think its just jealousy.

Look - I'm a pretty moderate person - but - try to look at the big picture here::mad:

1: A group of people went on a protest march - looking for Basic Human Rights that were being denied to them.

2: They were murdered in cold blood, by people who were meant to be keeping the peace

3: An inquiry was set up, and a pack of lies were told.

Try to imagine, if you can, how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot. You've just had your father/brother shot down in cold blood. To add to your grief, your loved one is then maligned as a "terrorist".
    These lies are then supported by an "inquiry":rolleyes: There's a name for that, you know - it's usually called collusion.

29 years later - finally - the truth is told - and all you can do is complain about how much it cost - even though the additional cost was not caused by the victims or their families!!

Now, I've gone on record as saying that I feel sorry for anyone who has lost innocent loved ones in Northern Ireland, whatever their political stance. The plain unvarnished truth is that innocent people, both Unionist and Nationalist have died in Northern Ireland.

The humane among us can recognise that neither Unionists nor Nationalists grieve any less for their loved ones, just because we go to a particular church/want to be represented by a different Government.

There was "an unjustified, and unjustifiable" atrocity perpetrated on Bloody Sunday. That does not mean there were no other atrocities perpetrated in Northern Ireland - but they are not the ones being discussed here - and they were not carried out by security forces.
    Try to understand the difference - your posts seem to consistently defend the indefensible - and they do a grave disservice to the people who genuinely want to put Hatred, and Bigotry, behind them - including the people whose political affiliation you share.:(

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

people over here (i am in england at the moment) just dont want to know about NI and the ones that do form their opinions by reading biased news papers.

the restraint part just reminded me of the letters between de valera and churchill in WW2 when churchill wanted to drag us into his mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was born in the UK, and all of my British contemporaries also think that the Daily Mail is a sh1t newspaper, so you must feel persecuted all round.:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement