Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bishops have asked that our elected representatives follow a different road

• 17-06-2010 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

NEWS ITEM ONE RTE 1 TODAY
    Bishops have asked that our elected representatives follow a different road

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0616/civilpartnerships.html

they want a free vote where each TD takes a position individually on the civil partnership bill

they do not want legally partnered tom and john to have the same legal status as
    married mary and bill

do you think the bishops should be giving direction to elected democrats

is there a connection here to aggressive COIR protest outside dail including a man holding a placard about 'protecting children' from civil partnership

Comments

The bishops can sod off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Fuck you Bishops and any of the rest of you who feel it's okay to tell anyone how to lead their life. Go take your baby Jesus and....well you have plenty of experience in that.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

They are entitled to have an opinion on it however ridiculous it may be.
    But the fact of the matter is the church is completely seperate from the state & one does not dictate to the other, even though they might have gotten away with it years ago.

The church would be better off cleaning the **** up off it's own doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I think the bishops will find that most people in Ireland couldn't give two sh*ts about what they think anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

How about No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Entitled to have an opinion, and entitled to give that opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Like any group, they can have their own opinion.

And like any group, people can listen to them or not.

I will not.

they should be more concerned with the abuses the church covered up and the system behind that than Tom and Johns rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

While I have no time for the catholic church on this particular issue, I have always thought that TD's should have a free vote on any issue instead of having to vote along the party line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

a free vote would be interesting to see on many topics, always wonder how many party representitives agree with what their party is spouting on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Why the **** should the church have more of an influence than anyone else?

If it doesn't affect them, they should keep out of it. ****ing assholes. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Why the **** should the church have more of an influence than anyone else?If it doesn't affect them, they should keep out of it. ****ing assholes. :mad:

They don't. So really it's no different to any other interest party or lobby group that make calls on a daily basis for politicians to do x, y or z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

The bishops can sod off. They wish it was the "good old days" (from their pov) when they ruled by fear. The likes of Coir can get stuffed as well. Theirs more pressing issues in the country right now than what consenting adults get up to in private.

But, back to the issue, this sheer arrogance and sense of entitlement they think they have to dictate to people, after the Ryan and Murphy reports have shown them for what they are, is ludicrous. Hypocrisy falls short in describing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

The are trying to argue a very shaky point, saying that recognising same sex unions is unconstitutional. Given the fact that the proposed bill doesn't actually change the constitutional position of marriage, I think they haven't really thought the issue through.

If you ask my opinion, a group of pre-historic, celibate man should have absolutely no say on the issue of marriage.

They may be entitled to a view on same sex relationships, but if those at issue here are consentual relationships, then again, they have no knowledge on the issue. They should stick to what the know about - things such as guilt and easter eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Love thy fellow man.

Tis in the Bible.

As long as the church is not being forced to marry them, i don't see why the church should have any say whatsoever in what the law is. Be it a civil partnership or setting speed limits.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

anyone read an article today or yesterday saying bishops in the north want a meeting with senior bankers to discuss the impact they've had on society etc?

bit like a c'unt convention that meeting. they could all sit around the table discussing who f'ucked the country up the most then go fiddle some kids/accounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Any TD that will allow himself or his decisions to be influenced by a ****ing cult should get the **** out tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I'm shocked by the attitdes displayed towards the Holy Roman Catholic Church in this thread.

Ye're all far too lenient on them.

I'm shocked by the attitdes displayed towards the Holy Roman Apostolic Catholic Church in this thread.

Ye're all far too lenient on them.

fixed that there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

If Civil Partnership was asacrement i could understand their position, but still wouldn't agree with it.

I think its issues like this that show the people of Ireland how out of touch with reality the church really are. Anyone objecting to Civil Partnership is doing so purely out of hatred and homophobia, and any other arguement the try to give is a lie.

Trashbat wrote: »
    If Civil Partnership was asacrement i could understand their position, but still wouldn't agree with it.

I think its issues like this that show the people of Ireland how out of touch with reality the church really are. Anyone objecting to Civil Partnership is doing so purely out of hatred and homophobia, and any other arguement the try to give is a lie.

i'm dont hate gay people nor am i homophobic but i worry about how civil partnerships might lead to same sex adoption etc. although i'm still on the fence with same sex adoption - i'm open to debate on it - at the moment to me it still seems a step too far...maybe i'm old fashioned

• Advertisement

anyone read an article today or yesterday saying bishops in the north want a meeting with senior bankers to discuss the impact they've had on society etc?

bit like a c'unt convention that meeting. they could all sit around the table discussing who f'ucked the country up the most then go fiddle some kids/accounts

haha! Maybe they could crown a sort of KING OF THE FIDDLERS at the end of the meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

moonpurple wrote: »
    they want a free vote where each TD takes a position individually on every bill

;)

now that would be more useful to us!

i'm dont hate gay people nor am i homophobic but i worry about how civil partnerships might lead to same sex adoption etc. although i'm still on the fence with same sex adoption - i'm open to debate on it - at the moment to me it still seems a step too far...maybe i'm old fashioned

If you'd rather see a kid stay in an orphanage/state care as opposed to being given a loving home, then you are a bit of a douche tbh. How often do your parents throw their sexuality in your face in your house? It's not like same sex couples all have some sort of gay/lesbian propaganda/lovefest in their houses.

I mean think about it - Nearly every household in Ireland is a household with a mother and father, and (shock horror) they produce gay kids as well as straight kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

And smoking weed is a gateway to heroin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

I think they're also worried that some of their own will leave the church and marry their boyfriends, if this civil partnership thing comes in

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I mean think about it - Nearly every household in Ireland is a household with a mother and father, and (shock horror) hey produce gay kids as well as straight kids.

I thought that was someting to do with the Kama Sutra though - anything but the missionary and they might turn out on the camp side.*

*Edit, if this is true, I may be father to David Norris, Graham Norton and Lous Walsh:o*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Meh. Let them think what they want. It's pretty funny that they still think people listen to what they have to say though.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    If you'd rather see a kid stay in an orphanage/state care as opposed to being given a loving home, then you are a bit of a douche tbh. How often do your parents throw their sexuality in your face in your house? It's not like same sex couples all have some sort of gay/lesbian propaganda/lovefest in their houses.

I mean think about it - Nearly every household in Ireland is a household with a mother and father, and (shock horror) they produce gay kids as well as straight kids.
    derfderf wrote: »
    And smoking weed is a gateway to heroin.

lads calm down, i'm trying to be as objective as possible here. i'm not suggesting that same sex parenting is wrong or leads to unhappy/unstable children or even that i'm against it, i'm just saying i dont know where i stand on it yet. my viewpoint on it at the moment is that the traditional mother/father upbringing provides input and influence from both sexes and that maybe this is the more natural way to bring up a kid.

i did say in my original post it was something that needed more debate and that's my only point. i've gay friends (i hate when people say that - i've also black friends :p) and i've spoken about it with them to and they see the point i'm making. you can't just expect people who've had the 'traditional' upbringing to accept the idea overnight...i know nothing about same sex parenting ffs!!

i do totally accept same sex couples should have the same rights as married couples though...just so we're clear i dont bash homo's in my free time

edit: i dont want any f'uckin bishop involved in the debate either - just so we're back on point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Des Bishop is a **** :mad:.

• Advertisement

lads calm down, i'm trying to be as objective as possible here. i'm not suggesting that same sex parenting is wrong or leads to unhappy/unstable children or even that i'm against it, i'm just saying i dont know where i stand on it yet. my viewpoint on it at the moment is that the traditional mother/father upbringing provides input and influence from both sexes and that maybe this is the more natural way to bring up a kid.

i did say in my original post it was something that needed more debate and that's my only point. i've gay friends (i hate when people say that - i've also black friends :p) and i've spoken about it with them to and they see the point i'm making. you can't just expect people who've had the 'traditional' upbringing to accept the idea overnight...i know nothing about same sex parenting ffs!!

i do totally accept same sex couples should have the same rights as married couples though...just so we're clear i dont bash homo's in my free time

edit: i dont want any f'uckin bishop involved in the debate either - just so we're back on point

I think a strong argument is that same sex couples, and children thereof, will never get the opportunity of being accepted as a normative unless some are willing to braek the mould first.

I do realise that playgrounds can be the cruellest of places for an kid, so I could only imagine what the child of a same sex couple may go through but the flip side is that a vote for the staus quo here is also a vote against progressing as a nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

I would prefer to see children brought up by a couple who love each other regardless of their sexual orientation. Once a child has love and feels safe, it should not matter who brings them up. Years ago if a man was homosexual the families way of dealing with this was to often make the teenager join the priesthood or the some other religious order. In the world today a man or woman has the right to express their sexuality openly without it being thought of as wrong. If my son or daughter came to me and told me in years to come that they were gay I would still tell them to happy in life and to meet someone they truly love. Once a loving relationship is there what does it matter?

I think a strong argument is that same sex couples, and children thereof, will never get the opportunity of being accepted as a normative unless some are willing to braek the mould first.

I do realise that playgrounds can be the cruellest of places for an kid, so I could only imagine what the child of a same sex couple may go through but the flip side is that a vote for the staus quo here is also a vote against progressing as a nation.

yep, it's a quare situation alright...

biffo made a funny *guffaws*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

they're entitled to their opinion

but please church stop interfering in society and people's lives for once and for all, it didn't work out the last time you were allowed did it?

dclane wrote: »
    I would prefer to see children brought up by a couple who love each other regardless of their sexual orientation. Once a child has love and feels safe, it should not matter who brings them up. Years ago if a man was homosexual the families way of dealing with this was to often make the teenager join the priesthood or the some other religious order. In the world today a man or woman has the right to express their sexuality openly without it being thought of as wrong. If my son or daughter came to me and told me in years to come that they were gay I would still tell them to happy in life and to meet someone they truly love. Once a loving relationship is there what does it matter?

the world was made by a man and a woman raising a child together - the child had the influence of both sexes and it's been the way for time immemorial. this was the way of the world and i wouldn't be so quick to jump on the pc bandwagon until i know more about the pros and cons of same sex parenting.

i couldn't give a flying f'uck if my kids were gay either as long as they were happy - but that's not the point.

the world was made by a man and a woman raising a child together.

Did you forget the apple and the snake, and then the fact that Incest must have been needed at some stage, and the fact that this story isn't true really?

Just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

the bishops are entitled to their opinion but why RTE should give their views any more prominence over anyone else's is beyond me. no-one takes them seriously any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I do realise that playgrounds can be the cruellest of places for an kid, so I could only imagine what the child of a same sex couple may go through

Kids will bully each other regardless. If it's not the "Your parents are gay" line, it's the "Your Mam is dead", "Your Dad is an alcoholic", "You were adopted","Your skin is black", "Your hair is ginger" or something else. Basically if they don't like you they'll find an excuse to ridicule you.
    I think anyone who says they are against same sex couples adopting because they think the kids will be bullied over it is just using it as an excuse for their prejudices.

the world was made by a man and a woman raising a child together - the child had the influence of both sexes and it's been the way for time immemorial. this was the way of the world and i wouldn't be so quick to jump on the pc bandwagon until i know more about the pros and cons of same sex parenting.

i couldn't give a flying f'uck if my kids were gay either as long as they were happy - but that's not the point.

Ok! let me ask you another question.

Would you be happier for an adopted child to be raised in an Orphanage, Institution, Foster family for with a same sex couple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I knew it wouldn't take long for this thread to get into the debate of same sex parenting V opposite sex parenting...

Now we just watch the thread go back and forth for the next 200+ posts before a mod locks it, as per usual. The debate is endless, it always will be. Didn't we just do this last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Would you be happier for an adopted child to be raised in an Orphanage, Institution, Foster family for with a same sex couple?

Biased much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

moonpurple wrote: »
    they want a free vote where each TD takes a position individually on the civil partnership bill
    Funny. The bishops seem to be quite narrowly focussed on what they call for free votes on. I can't ever remember them calling for a free vote on stuff like the minimum wage, budget cuts or similar issues of social justice.

Perhaps they should just advise their own flock to simply not avail of the bill when it becomes law.
    The country's Catholic bishops have called on the Government to allow a free vote for all TDs and Senators on the Civil Partnership Bill which, they say, is unconstitutional.
    They should probably take a legal case against it so.

From Medscape Medical News
    Children of Same-Sex Couples Do as Well as Other Children

"Oct. 13, 2005 (Washington) — An analysis of multiple studies of 500 households shows that rearing children in a same-sex household does not affect the their self-esteem, gender identity, or emotional health, a Boston researcher reported.

"Pediatricians need to recognize that there are variations in families and learn what kind of advice to give them to optimize the child's development," said Ellen Perrin, MD, professor of pediatrics at Tufts-New England Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

The researcher and colleagues looked at data from 15 studies evaluating possible stigma, teasing, social isolation, adjustment, sexual orientation, and strengths. The findings were presented here at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition.

"The vast consensus of the studies is that children of same-sex parents do as well as children whose parents are heterosexual in every way," Dr. Perrin said. "In some ways, children of same-sex parents actually may have advantages over other family structures."

It has been estimated that one to six million children are being reared by committed lesbian or gay couples in this country. Some children were born to a heterosexual couple and later raised by a same-sex couple; others were placed in foster homes, were adopted, or conceived through a surrogate mother through artificial insemination.

Previous studies of same-sex parenting have been criticized for being biased, but Dr. Perrin said the research team was extremely careful to select only solid, evidence-based research for review.

Based on nine studies from 1981 to 1994 of 260 children, aged three to 11 years, reared by either heterosexual mothers or same sex-mothers after divorce, the researchers found there was no difference in intelligence of the children, type or prevalence of psychiatric disorders, self-esteem, well-being, peer relationships, or parental stress. "The children all had a similar emotional experiences with divorce," she said.

What they did find was that after divorce children being reared by lesbian mothers had more contact with fathers than children reared by divorced heterosexual mothers, Dr. Perrin said. "There are interesting suggestions that these children are more tolerant of differences."

A separate longitudinal study of 37 children of 27 divorced lesbian mothers and an equal number of children with divorced heterosexual mothers found no differences in behavior, adjustment, gender identity, and peer relationships.

"What is exciting about this study was that they followed the children 11 years later when they became adults," Dr. Perrin said. "But they still found no difference in adjustment, self-esteem, psychiatric or psychological problems, family relationships, or in identifying sexual orientation."

Four other large studies of more than 100 couples that evaluated children either born or adopted into families found that same-sex parents were more likely to have contact with extended family for social support as well as a more equal division of labor in the home. However, children of same-sex parents did experience some stigmatization.

"The researchers found no differences in the parents other than that lesbian couples share household and child care tasks more equitably," said Dr. Perrin. "The children of lesbian couples also appeared to be less aggressive, more nurturing to peers, more tolerant of diversity, and more androgynous," playing with toys for both boys and girls.

A further analysis of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health used randomly selected representative data from 44 adolescents aged 12 to 18 years. The study compared children living with two women in a "marriage-like" relationship to teenagers living with two heterosexual parents.

The study showed that the adolescents were similar in intrapersonal adjustments such as self-esteem, depression, and anxiety. They also were similar in school success, family relationships, and neighborhood integration, Dr. Perrin said.

"What is striking is that there are very consistent findings in these studies," she concluded. "But further study conducted in a long-term systematic manner in community samples needs to be conducted."

Dr. Perrin pointed out that "as pediatricians we have a lot of different kinds of roles. We need to be extremely careful about confidentiality with these families and assure them that their family constellation won't be broadcast. This will give us a better chance of learning more about the family and providing needed advice and discussing some of the issues."

"This is valuable information," Carol Berkowitz, MD, told Medscape. She is the immediate past president of the AAP and professor and executive vice chair in the Department of Pediatrics at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, California. "This subject evokes a lot of emotions that have influenced some studies. Some studies in the past were weighted based on nothing more than their own views."

The value of this presentation is these are all evidence-based studies, Dr. Berkowitz said, adding this information will help pediatricians in their practices and for setting policy.

AAP 2005 National Conference and Exhibition: Concurrent Seminar F340. Presented Oct. 10, 2005."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Five words that need to be taken absolutely seriously-

Separation of church and state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Five words that need to be taken absolutely seriously-

Separation of church and state.

Maybe we need to ad two more?

COMPLETE separation of church and state - SERIOUSLY.

Did you forget the apple and the snake, and then the fact that Incest must have been needed at some stage, and the fact that this story isn't true really?

Just an observation.

i'm an athiest, i dont think you got what i was saying

same sex couple, lesser of evils. what i'd actually prefer is that there was no need for any of the above.

look, i'm out of this debate. i only voiced an opinion about an issue which i really dont care too much about and i dont want to get dragged into having to debate the no side. as stated earlier, i'm firmly on the fence and have yet to be convinced.

read the study above, seems ok but i still can't help being a bit conservative here - if that makes me some kind of villian, so be it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

funny that alot of people are saying that they are entitled to their opinion.

This is true, but its not the issue at hand here, not by a mile. The main point is that they are trying to influence the democratic process. They are not entitled to do that.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but trying to influence people on a matter that they have nothing to do with is very different to simply expressing opinion.

Trashbat wrote: »
    funny that alot of people are saying that they are entitled to their opinion.

This is true, but its not the issue at hand here, not by a mile. The main point is that they are trying to influence the democratic process. They are not entitled to do that.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but trying to influence people on a matter that they have nothing to do with is very different to simply expressing opinion.

i've no love for the church but...

this isn't the point - they are entitled to lobby the government on behalf of the people they represent. they're a big club - the f'uckers - and it's precisely because we live in a democracy that they can press for the views of the people they represent. ffs though, if joe duffy can influence policy the church shouldnt have too hard a time sorting this out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

@thebig biffo.
    Wasn't making out u were a homophobe, I just don't like the whole stepping stone argument.
    You're probably are right in that it will bring the same sex adoption issue to a head, but that has to happen some time.
    In the same way decriminalising homosexuality was the first stepping stone to same sex adoption, but i'm sure you'd agree people that had a problem with that because of what it could lead to were in the wrong.

i'm an athiest, i dont think you got what i was saying

same sex couple, lesser of evils. what i'd actually prefer is that there was no need for any of the above.

look, i'm out of this debate. i only voiced an opinion about an issue which i really dont care too much about and i dont want to get dragged into having to debate the no side. as stated earlier, i'm firmly on the fence and have yet to be convinced.

read the study above, seems ok but i still can't help being a bit conservative here - if that makes me some kind of villian, so be it

I think it's fair to have the opinion that you have, I had a good long think about it and tbh there is still a slight reservation with me also but in the grander scheme of things I look at the way society has evolved over the years and maybe this is just something that will take getting used to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Let them express their opinion and lobby the government, the fact that they don't have the backing of probably the majority of Ireland due to their handling of recent scandals, thus the majority of the voters will mean that chances are the TD's will listen to their bread and butter, the people who put them in power, the voters and not the church.

As someone said, if its unconstitutional, then let them go through the courts to challenge it.

My personal opinion is that if a same sex couple wish to adopt a child and bring that child into a decent loving home where the child has a chance of a good upbringing and support structure, then so be it.

If they check all the boxes that any other couple check, why not?

Its better than a child growing up feeling unloved and unwanted in some under funded, under staffed institution and not having a chance in life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement