Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Upgrades

• 31-10-2014 4:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi guys!

James here, I've posted something similar to this before but need to ask again as i cant find much info on what i have in mind or any experience with laptops myself.

I own medion akoya E7214 laptop.

I recently added an SSD to the free bay I had and now
    after a quick Google search on my CPU... have gotten it into my head about attempting to upgrade the CPU.

What I found was a list of mobile versions of CPU's which included mine and cant seem to find it right now but the CPU in the laptop right now is a Intel Core i3-350M.

I've gotten it into my head about upgrading this to and i5 or even i7 CPU as i think i seen prices which i wouldnt mind paying for an i7 even if its oldish tech...

My question for you people full of knowledge out there is would pulling out the the current CPU and plopping in a new better CPU have any complications.. other than the things that have come to my attention being : Heat, power consumption and compatibility...

as before any information or insight into this wild taught of mine would be much appreciated and welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

More often than not with a laptop the only things you can upgrade are RAM & SSD/HDD. Some gaming laptops may have modular GPU's but not many.. A lot of laptops tend to have the CPU soldered to the motherboard, best option is to lots of research on your model-teardowns, user forums etc. and see what others are doing.

It may be cheaper to put the cash you would spend towards a new laptop instead. Another option is to keep an eye out for a laptop with a better CPU but a damaged screen, you could swap the motherboards if its in the same model to yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mainboard-484HJ01011-f-Medion-Akoya-MD98360-E7214-6661-.jpg

Doesnt look to be soldered, but all versions a quick google threw up had the 350M so there may not be bios support for any other chip. Wouldnt risk it unless you KNOW it'll work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭jamesk014

thanks man i think ill leave it ... put the money away for a new laptop. thanks for the input like i said it was just an idea that struck me :) you probably saved me an awful lot of annoyance. thanks :)

Advertisement