Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age did you start going bald?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm 17 always had a high and wide hairline , and for the past year (could be longer) it's been thinning and receding. I don't notice any other lads having the same issue so that makes me think that I'm a toddler in the world of balding!

So what age did ye start losing your hair?

By the way should I just shave it? Considering I've a dodge head shape due complications at the age of a couple of seconds old..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

40 now. Could do with it thinning a bit. Nothing yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was about 23 when it started receding slowly (but surely), by 26 I decided to do something about it so I've been taking medication since last summer, hair's remained the exact same since. Will think about a transplant in a year or two, but it's alright the way it is now really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Was balder than the bishop who did my confirmation. These days I shave it, once or twice a week depending on my mood.

If you're comfortable with shaving it work away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

SeanChris wrote: »
    I'm 17 always had a high and wide hairline , and for the past year (could be longer) it's been thinning and receding. I don't notice any other lads having the same issue so that makes me think that I'm a toddler in the world of balding!

So what age did ye start losing your hair?

By the way should I just shave it? Considering I've a dodge head shape due complications at the age of a couple of seconds old..?

A good percentage of men can pull off a shaved head but there are some who just look odd with it unfortunately. On the plus side there are lots of hairstyles that compliment balding, maybe look into this if you dont think you can pull off the shaved head look.

EDIT: Just thinking, maybe you could hold out until November and shave it then for cancer awareness and nobody will bat an eyelid, whereas if you do it now out of the blue everyone will be asking why did you shave your head and it will lead to lots of embarrassing questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

gunny558 wrote: »
    A good percentage of men can pull off a shaved head

Bit extreme?!?

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

I was about 23 when it started receding slowly (but surely), by 26 I decided to do something about it so I've been taking medication since last summer, hair's remained the exact same since. Will think about a transplant in a year or two, but it's alright the way it is now really.

Mind me asking what stuff your using? Mines going at an alarming rate and I couldn't manage a bald head because of a birth defect (just think et) it's getting a bit pathetic at this stage, or asked my mam (I know I'm a big baby) if I could do something about it and she just says 'it's just a hairline, it goes back for some and it doesn't for others' (she basically dumbed down balding for me, cheers mam)
    Any I'm getting a bit bored of positioning my hair so It becomes less noticeable and even that's not working too well anymore..
    It's going thin at the starting point on the back of my head too at this stage..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

I started to notice grey hairs at a young age, which quickly by the time I was 18...Had started to fall out. It was devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Mine slowly started receding at the temples when I was about 22 or 23. Didn't really pay attention to it til about a year ago when I noticed it more. Didn't fancy having to shave my head so Googled me bollix off looking for some sort of magical cure.

For the last 4 months I've been using minoxidil 5% in the morning and night and washing my hair with Nizoral anti dandruff shampoo. My hair at the front has got so much thicker and some hair has grown back at the temples. I'm happy enough doing this every day if it helps me keep the hair that I still have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 davidmc95

Im 19, my dad and all my brothers(4) are bald, i only really noticed i had been balding at 17

I've always had a high enough hairline and always had a cows lick and its gone pretty bad now, fairly hard to cover it up, and i always kinda swiped my hair towards the side that didnt have the cows lick but now its receding both sides of my forehead (middle isnt too bad) and the bit that i used to swipe over is light enough and you can see through it.

So basically, i have a bald patch on one side where the cows lick USED to be and a noticeable cover up on the other...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

I know it is mostly hereditary but a barber recently told me not to use hair wax only use hair gel. He thinks that the wax melts and runs down your hair and does something to the follicle. Sounds a bit mad to me.
    Slowly going bald for 10 years now. Trying hard to embrace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

17 is too young to start losing your hairline. There are several supplements in which you can take that can promote hair and nail growth. Not obviously so much for the nail part, but it can start to fill in the lack of hair in certain places. .....most likely on your head!
    Do some google research on natural/homeopathic remedies to promote hair growth. I am sure you will find many options, that you can consider before you decide to shave it all off.
    Unfortunately mens heads are unlike women's legs. The more you shave, the faster and thicker it grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    For the last 4 months I've been using minoxidil 5% in the morning and night and washing my hair with Nizoral anti dandruff shampoo. My hair at the front has got so much thicker and some hair has grown back at the temples. I'm happy enough doing this every day if it helps me keep the hair that I still have.

Mind me asking what sort of price these things are? I remember looking at the Regaine stuff about 10 years ago and it was quite expensive!

mrcheez wrote: »
    Mind me asking what sort of price these things are? I remember looking at the Regaine stuff about 10 years ago and it was quite expensive!

Yeah the Regaine stuff is more expensive than any of the other brands. So I go for the Kirkland 5% 6 month supply and can be got for €52.

http://www.biovea.com/ie/product_detail.aspx?PID=219&OS=204&KW=kirkland%20minoxidil&cp=4&NAME=MINOXIDIL-5-FOR-MEN-6-x-60ml-Bottles-6-Month-Supply-GENERIC-REGAINE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Yeah the Regaine stuff is more expensive than any of the other brands. So I go for the Kirkland 5% 6 month supply and can be got for €52.

http://www.biovea.com/ie/product_detail.aspx?PID=219&OS=204&KW=kirkland%20minoxidil&cp=4&NAME=MINOXIDIL-5-FOR-MEN-6-x-60ml-Bottles-6-Month-Supply-GENERIC-REGAINE

Do you need to use a specific shampoo, as you are doing?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Do you need to use a specific shampoo, as you are doing?

I read using nizoral anti dandruff shampoo helps the cause but you can use any shampoo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

My started around 19, but since am into botany and the like, i have being able to stop the receding process, but still the hair isn't moving anywhere near were it use to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

My started around 19, but since am into botany and the like, i have being able to stop the receding process, but still the hair isn't moving anywhere near were it use to be.

Pardon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Gosh I don't know exactly. The men in our family are all graced with a fine big bald patch at the back complimented by a noticeable receding hairline to the front. I guess it may have started noticeably in my mid to late twenties- I'm 38 this year.
    I don't worry about it to be fair and keep a tight hair cut- taking a number 2 blade every few weeks. I should really do it fortnightly but it's not a priority so I tend to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

Try shaving it, the earlier you are use to it, the better.

Advertisement