Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bishops have asked that our elected representatives follow a different road

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If the RCC were honest, which they aren't, they would ditch the whole jesus, god, heaven backstory and admit they want to control your life from the cradle to the grave.
    Christianity II - The Sequel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

As I've said before, progress is anathema to the church. The bishops attempted to weigh in on Lisbon, and even though I was young, I remember the god squad's opposition to the divorce referendum.
    Anything that brings us into line with the rest of the world has got to be a bad thing, from their perspective, because it lessens their control.
    If the RCC were honest, which they aren't, they would ditch the whole jesus, god, heaven backstory and admit they want to control your life from the cradle to the grave.

Archbishop Martin made an interesting statement before Lisbon 2 following Cardinal Brady's clear no recommendation on lisbon 1
    Archbishop Martin stated 'let each vote according to their conscience'
    we are now watching the disappearance of Archbishop Martin
    he will join this man only in a slower way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93scar_Romero

dvpower wrote: »
    Christianity II - The Sequel

The Prince of Peace is back... and this time, he's pissed off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bash the Bishop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

dvpower wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would suggest that they aren't entitled to their opinions.
    Once they leave it at that. In the bad old days they had the ability to enforce their opinions. Thankfully those days are long over and we now have the opportunity to reject their opinions.

This fella is suggesting just that............

And bishops don't want democracy. They want autocracy.

The church tells people how to vote such as they did during various referendums over our history.
    That is not democracy.

The bishops were lobbying for their point-of-view, as democratic voters, just as gay and lesbian groups constantly do. Nobody was telling(:rolleyes:) anybody what to do. Everyone has a right to have their say, its not as if bishops are all members of the anti-homosexaul, anti-lisbon, anti-divorce ku-klux-klan. If someone doesnt agree with what they have to say, so what? I cant believe the anti catholic bias in this thread, it would be amusing if it wasnt so venomous.

As I've said before, progress is anathema to the church. The bishops attempted to weigh in on Lisbon, and even though I was young, I remember the god squad's opposition to the divorce referendum.
    Anything that brings us into line with the rest of the world has got to be a bad thing, from their perspective, because it lessens their control.

HA! See what I mean? Grow up will ya, get out of the past. Move on, this is 2010, not the 1400's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Move on, this is 2010, not the 1400's

Try telling that to the Church :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Try telling that to the Church :rolleyes:

No, I'm telling YOU! When did a church member or cleric ever torture you or try to "control" your life? Do they put drugs in the water or something? How exactly do you think they control peoples lives? Asking their elected rep to represent them is NOT controlling people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fuck them and their evil cult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

No, I'm telling YOU! When did a church member or cleric ever torture you or try to "control" your life? Do they put drugs in the water or something? How exactly do you think they control peoples lives? Asking their elected rep to represent them is NOT controlling people.

First off he is not looking for his representative to represent him he is asking the government to interfer in a matter which does not affect priests( because well their own rules say they should not be in any partnership civil or cermonial excepting with God)

People in positions of power ( I think a bishop qualifies) should stay out of affairs which are none of their concern.

This is a legal matter and should be dealt with by the democratically and legally elected government of ireland, not by some tool who is appointed by a German who hides in Rome.

His remite is ecuminical matters, not matters of state and he would do well to shut the F up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

No, I'm telling YOU!

Welcome to my ignore list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paultheviking

Take it easy.. it's the hipocrasy that gets on my tits, they spend all their time covering up the raping and beating of children, only to come on the radio/telly/newspaper thinking they are relevant in our lives..

MAYBE if it wasn't for all the two faced cover ups people might have a bit more respect for what they have to say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

The Bishops should take a reality pill and realize that they have lost the right to dictate to people how to live their lives. This is not the 1950's any more and any respect people might have had for them has been lost as one child abuse case after another comes to light. They have NO right to try and sway the voting on same-sex civil partnerships so they can take their request and shove it up sideways! :mad:

Jen ;->

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Welcome to my ignore list

You don't need to tell people that, thats quite rude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Jenroche wrote: »
    The Bishops should take a reality pill and realize that they have lost the right to dictate to people how to live their lives. This is not the 1950's any more and any respect people might have had for them has been lost as one child abuse case after another comes to light. They have NO right to try and sway the voting on same-sex civil partnerships so they can take their request and shove it up sideways! :mad:

Jen ;->

Anoo, that catholic church needs to get over it!!! As you say its not the 1900s... people do have a life you know, i really am getting sick of that church and its ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

The bishops were lobbying for their point-of-view, as democratic voters, just as gay and lesbian groups constantly do. Nobody was telling(:rolleyes:) anybody what to do. Everyone has a right to have their say, its not as if bishops are all members of the anti-homosexaul, anti-lisbon, anti-divorce ku-klux-klan. If someone doesnt agree with what they have to say, so what? I cant believe the anti catholic bias in this thread, it would be amusing if it wasnt so venomous.

Hang on, are you for real? Are you actually for f**king real? Like serious? You think this is just some guys lobbying against new legislation? You're really that naïve? Sweet Jesus! Lord help us. :rolleyes:

I can't believe there's still people taking the book of Leviticus as truth....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hang on, are you for real? Are you actually for f**king real? Like serious? You think this is just some guys lobbying against new legislation? You're really that naïve? Sweet Jesus! Lord help us. :rolleyes:

I can't believe there's still people taking the book of Leviticus as truth....

Tis true:
    9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
    10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
    11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
    12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

And yet there are these guys...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

There's far more in Leviticus than just "gays are evil". It's kind of a guide book on how to concieve but there's some bonkers stuff in it. Especially about women being "unclean"

There's far more in Leviticus than just "gays are evil". It's kind of a guide book on how to concieve but there's some bonkers stuff in it. Especially about women being "unclean"

I liked the "don't wear messy clothes or let your hair get messy or god will kill you"
    Also interesting there was a "crime" or two punishable by death, can't remember the specifics but something we wouldn't think about now, which had a harsher punishment than homosexuality :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

now a fianna fail minister is keen to disagree with the bishops and their call

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0618/1224272795107.html

Advertisement