Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign Language in LCFE

Options
  • 11-07-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I've always wanted to learn sign language so I started looking up courses in Limerick and I found a few in Limerick College of Further Education (or Senior). They have a basic course on one night a week for (I think) 12 weeks and it costs €120.

The problem is is that I'm also a full time student in UL so I'm afraid that I won't have time or I won't do very well because of college taking up my time. Also I'm generally not very good at languages and I know that sign language isn't like any other language that I've studied but I'm just worried that I won't do very well and I'll just waste my money.

I don't think I'd ever get a job as a sign language interpreter but I'd like to volunteer and I think it would be handy to have.

Has anyone done it? How difficult is it? Is it worth the money? Are there any other sign language courses in Limerick?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I don't think I'd ever get a job as a sign language interpreter but I'd like to volunteer and I think it would be handy to have.

Has anyone done it? How difficult is it? Is it worth the money? Are there any other sign language courses in Limerick?

We use sign language interpreters for our deaf students, and from what they tell me, the money is pretty good. If you want to take it seriously, though, you'd probably need to do a full time course in it.

I don't know much about it, but as far as I know, the full time course is based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SophieLouise

katydid wrote: »
    We use sign language interpreters for our deaf students, and from what they tell me, the money is pretty good. If you want to take it seriously, though, you'd probably need to do a full time course in it.

I don't know much about it, but as far as I know, the full time course is based in Dublin.

I think I'd have to try it and see before fully committing to it but thanks for letting me know.

As far as I know they teach all levels of sign language in Limerick but they're all part-time courses so it would take a lot longer than it should to become fully qualified here.

Advertisement