Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best (preferably) free app to stream music to my Android phone?

Options
  • 05-06-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

So, I'm buying an Android dock, and just wondering what would be the best app for streaming music from my main PC. The PC is set up as a DLNA server and the relevant folders are also shared in Windows, so it can be accessed either way. Is Tonito the way to go or is there something better (bear in mind it's mainly for music, not too worried about streaming video)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Google Music is what I used.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭viboy

Try Bubble UPnp - free version is slightly limited, but should be enough to verify how it will work for you

Note: The paid version can act as a DLNA server and renderer also

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Try upnplay
    I found it better than bubble upnp which, as already stated above, is a bit limited in the free version.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Also check out Subsonic, which you install on the PC to serve the media, but it has a nice Android app. It can transcode media, and limit bandwidth usage for mobile devices. If you donate you also unlock video streaming/transcoding.

Software for PC:
    http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Android App:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.subsonic.androidapp

The app allows you to "pin" tracks so they're cached on your device once downloaded, so you can use them offline/without streaming them again. You can also use it in remote control mode to play music on your PC in "jukebox" mode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If they are set up on a windows share check out ES file explorer you can browse the shares then use any app to stream the music from.
    Also try cifs manager to set up the shares as local folders you can browse on your "sd card".

For streaming off the same wifi network or on 3G I use subsonic as has been mentioned. Handy app that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Cheers lads, I went with Twonky's Android app as that's what I use to run the uPnP server at home (Upnplay didn't seem to recognise it), but I will be giving ES File Explorer a go as well...

Advertisement