Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ TV New Season

• 08-08-2013 7:52pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seems to be a case of more or less "steady as she goes" from RTÉ, with the new schedule announcents. The launch brochure has quite a different feel than for the past few years as its grouped by channel rather than by genre. Here's the highlights:

RTÉ One

Love/Hate (drama- Returning for Season 4) - not a fan, but lots out there love it and its one of the few RTÉ series to get a UK prime time network airing (even if it is on Channel 5).

Quirke (drama - New Series) - this is actually a BBC production, a pathologist turned private detective drama set in 1950s Dublin.

Amber (drama - one-off) - four part serial about a teenager who goes missing.

The Voice (entertainment - returning for Series 3) - samo samo

Irish Pictorial Weekly (comedy - returning for Series 2) - I didn't warm to this first time but maybe they've improved.

The Class of 2010 (factual - one off) two part documentary about Leaving Cert students at Blackrock College.

The Irish in Flight (factual - one off) - interesting looking doc about the history of Irish aviation.

RTÉ Two

Damo & Ivor (working title) (comedy- New Series) - spin off from the Republic of Telly. Either it'll be streching a joke too far, or hillarious.

The Mario Rosenstock Show (comedy - returning for Season 2) - I just wish he'd make more Special 1 TV, he's a brilliant voice actor but trying to play all these characters on TV is just not working.

Republic of Telly (comedy - returning for, er, a new season) - Kevin McGaharen is taking over but this has to be a retool too far for a show that's been retooled a couple of times now and really bares little resemblence to the Neill Delamere vehicle from a few years back.

No surprises from sports. The only surprise in imports is that Two and a Half Men has made it to season 11, but that's hardly RTÉ's fault.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭brian_t

Glad to see they've bought Elementary and are continuing to show Mad Men.

They also have Vikings and Under the Dome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,574 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

brian_t wrote: »
    Glad to see they've bought Elementary and are continuing to show Mad Men.

They also have Vikings and Under the Dome

Did they pick up any new US shows from the 2013/2014 season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

This is probably old news and a silly question-but is it true that Premier Soccer Saturday and Raw are no more?

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Unfortunately yes in both cases, possibility some sort of last minute deal will be done with the football, but Raw's definitely gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

icdg wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes in both cases, possibility some sort of last minute deal will be done with the football, but Raw's definitely gone.

Typical.

They pull the plug on decent programmes while fighting to keep rubbish like Eastenders.Just goes to show that our license money is merely paying the wages of those greedy broadcasters.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    No surprises from sports. The only surprise in imports is that Two and a Half Men has made it to season 11, but that's hardly RTÉ's fault.
    well,
    some will get a surprise when they turn on the telly at 7 on a Saturday not to find the Premiership highlights on RTE!!
    (setanta close on a deal but no word if it will be as early as before or even on before the BBC highlights)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

RTE - Repeat, repeat repeat, repeat...............................

This station should be wound up!

Pure utter rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

airneal wrote: »
    RTE - Repeat, repeat repeat, repeat...............................

This station should be wound up!

Pure utter rubbish.

Thanks for such great input there.

All TV Channels around the world have repeats. Just because RTE would repeat The Late Late Show at 12.30am on a Monday night doesn't mean that it should be wound up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Second Captains are supposed to be getting their own live show. Starting in September.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm aware there was a pilot filmed yesterday, but it would be very odd for a decision to not only pick it up, but also find a place for it in the schedules, to have been made that quickly. It must have been extremely good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Quirke (drama - New Series) - this is actually a BBC production, a pathologist turned private detective drama set in 1950s Dublin.

They also announced this in their Summer schedule Press Release months ago :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2013/0509/391383-rte-television-announces-summer-schedule/
    Irish actor Gabriel Byrne stars in Quirke, another RTÉ co-production with BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RTE should decide what it wants to be.. a showcase for home-grown talent and productions (like Raw and Love/Hate .. neither of which appealed to me personally but I know how popular they are) or Sky 1, because it hasn't the budget or audience to do both!

Seeing as the vast majority of homes would have Sky or UPC, I don't see the logic in buying stuff like Two and a Half Men (which is dire since Charlie left anyway) that can be seen almost 24x7 on Comedy Central, or simulcasting Eastenders when everyone has BBC anyway too.

There's many a night here where the TV here just stays on the WDTV "channel" anyway, but there's absolutely nothing in that list that would entice me to watch RTE. I've never even heard of most of those returning shows!

Second Captains are getting their own live show. Starting in September.

Along with Love/Hate its the second best bit of news. What time slot are they rumoured to get and what station? The one fear is that RTE might restrict them a bit too much in how they present whereas they sounded so natural on OTB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,563 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Seems to be a case of more or less "steady as she goes" from RTÉ, with the new schedule announcents. The launch brochure has quite a different feel than for the past few years as its grouped by channel rather than by genre. Here's the highlights:

RTÉ One

Love/Hate (drama- Returning for Season 4) - not a fan, but lots out there love it and its one of the few RTÉ series to get a UK prime time network airing (even if it is on Channel 5).

Amber (drama - one-off) - four part serial about a teenager who goes missing.

The Voice (entertainment - returning for Series 3) - samo samo

Irish Pictorial Weekly (comedy - returning for Series 2) - I didn't warm to this first time but maybe they've improved.

The Class of 2010 (factual - one off) two part documentary about Leaving Cert students at Blackrock College.

The Irish in Flight (factual - one off) - interesting looking doc about the history of Irish aviation.

RTÉ Two

Damo & Ivor (working title) (comedy- New Series) - spin off from the Republic of Telly. Either it'll be streching a joke too far, or hillarious.

The Mario Rosenstock Show (comedy - returning for Season 2) - I just wish he'd make more Special 1 TV, he's a brilliant voice actor but trying to play all these characters on TV is just not working.

Republic of Telly (comedy - returning for, er, a new season) - Kevin McGaharen is taking over but this has to be a retool too far for a show that's been retooled a couple of times now and really bares little resemblence to the Neill Delamere vehicle from a few years back.

The only thing on that list worth looking at is 'Love/Hate'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Savage Eye also. Not on the list though.

I'm aware there was a pilot filmed yesterday, but it would be very odd for a decision to not only pick it up, but also find a place for it in the schedules, to have been made that quickly. It must have been extremely good...

Apparently they were given a proposed starting time before filming the pilot. But that's not set in stone so I suppose anything could happen.

Off topic but does anyone know the music used in this ad? Lovely little piece.

Second Captains confirmed today that their show starts September 10th on RTE 2.

Think it's on straight after the world cup qualifier.

Advertisement