Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE & Religion

• 30-04-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭

Not only is RTE forcing us to pause for a clanging bell at 12 and 6, but tonight the 9 o'clock news headline's is that people are gathering in Rome for beatification of a dead pope.

Surely this is not worthy of being the top story and there are more important things happening in the world such as conflicts in Libya and Middle East, tornadoes in Alabama, Economy etc.

I really wish RTE would stop promoting religion.

It must certainly confirm our 'Holy Catholic' stereotype for any foreign visitors or people looking on internet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have seen that pope story on other channels too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not only is RTE forcing us to pause for a clanging bell at 12 and 6, but tonight the 9 o'clock news headline's is that people are gathering in Rome for beatification of a dead pope.

Surely this is not worthy of being the top story and there are more important things happening in the world such as conflicts in Libya and Middle East, tornadoes in Alabama, Economy etc.

It must certainly confirm our 'Holy Catholic' stereotype for any foreign visitors or people looking on internet.

^ 1 minute of Angelus or 1 minute of adverts?.....you decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I have seen that pope story on other channels too.

Fair enough....which channels and was it top story?

Fair enough....which channels and was it top story?

Bing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I couldn't give a sh1te about what foreign visitors think. "When in Rome do as the Roman's do" and all that jazz. When I'm visiting a Muslim country, I respect their beliefs and I don't expect them to accomodate me. Why should we give a sh1te about how we are perceived?

Like it or hate it we are still a predominately catholic country, I'm sure that the census will confirm that. As for having to pause at 12 & 6, there is no one forcing you to pause for prayer.

• Advertisement

Bing it!

Sorry, but why bother posting if you have nothing useful to contribute?
    MrsD007 wrote: »
    I couldn't give a sh1te about what foreign visitors think. "As in Rome do as the Roman's do" and all that jazz. When I'm visiting a Muslim country, I respect their beliefs and I don't expect them to accomodate me. Why should we give a sh1te about how we are perceived?

Like it or hate we are still a predominately catholic country, I'm sure that the census will confirm that. As for having to pause at 12 & 6, there is no one forcing you to pause for prayer.

Respecting beliefs is one thing but having religion forced on you by what is supposed to be the pubic broadcaster of a secular state is wrong in my opinion.

Population being catholic or not I don't think that's the beatification is on everyone's minds today. No one I met today spoke about it so why should it be top story.

Respecting beliefs is one thing but having religion forced on you by what is supposed to be the pubic broadcaster of a secular state is wrong in my opinion.

Population being catholic or not I don't think that's the beatification is on everyone's minds today. No one I met today spoke about it so why should it be top story.
    There are lots of practising catholics who believe that it is very news worthy. My motto is live and let live. If I don't like it, I don't watch it!

Yesterday, there were lots of people giving out that RTE televised the royal wedding. It would appear that RTE are wrong no matter what they do :rolleyes:

:eek: - reported!, abusive content! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

This again..... *sigh*

For the last time: RTE are a public broadcaster and so they have a duty and responsibility to broadcast any news that they think the public will be interested in.

RTE are useless at the best of times, however all the world news channels are also giving this widespread coverage. It's what many people do want to hear and are interested in.

It is not a case of "promoting religion", so people like OP can come off their high horse, it's about providing a public broadcasting service to the people.

If you have a problem with it, then your quibble is with public broadcasting in general, NOT public broadcasting of religious events. They are "promoting" Murder, She Wrote and CSI Miami a lot more than the time they give to religion. Or the grand national or sport.

You can just as easily say how dare RTE promote sport. Nice try for trying to jump on the religion-hating bandwagon (and I'm an atheist) and get up on the soapbox but your argument doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Gees calm down, I can assure you it is all over the US news also and prob many other countries.

IMO its a more newsworthy story than a monarch -I have no feelings for- wedding. 1 million Irish people came out to see JP, dont forget. To each their own.

BTW in case you missed out, Irish GDP is gonna be worse than expected, Obama said Alabama one of the worst things he ever seen and promised federal aid, and Gaddafi blames the west for killing innocents in the pursuit of oil and wants to negotiate.

Tune in tomorrow where RTE will be back to normal to make you feel good with some depressing news content

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

The State doesnt claim to be secular. I sat through 4 hours of choirs, and music, and sermons, and readings on TV in the UK yesterday. And am I complaining? Well, a bit as I was forced. it was pretty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

:eek: - reported!, abusive content! :mad:
    Hardly abusive, if you report that kind of thing regularly I'd say most mods ignore your reports at this stage.

As for the OP, like it or not, it is a big deal. They (the EU) even lifted the travel ban on Mugabee so that he could attend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Like it or hate we are still a predominately catholic country, I'm sure that the census will confirm that. As for having to pause at 12 & 6, there is no one forcing you to pause for prayer.

It doesn't make a difference if the majority of people in this country are catholic, RTE is a state broadcaster that is publicly funded and it is breaking its own Public Service Broadcasting Charter as published by the Government.
    No editorial or programming bias shall be shown in terms of gender, age, disability, race, sexual orientation, religion or membership of a minority community
    Of course I'm only referring to the Angelus and not the reporting of any particular news stories.

RTE is a state broadcaster that is publicly funded and it is breaking its own Public Service Broadcasting Charter as published by the Government.

LOL :D:D that's what you call an aspirational document.

It doesn't make a difference if the majority of people in this country are catholic, RTE is a state broadcaster that is publicly funded and it is breaking its own Public Service Broadcasting Charter as published by the Government.

Of course I'm only referring to the Angelus and not the reporting of any particular news stories.

They're not showing a bias by having the Angelus because it's just a programme that people want. If they came on and said the catholic religion was *better* than other religions, that would be showing a bias.

It's like if they had a programme for children on or a programme for women. That doesn't mean they are saying that children are better or women are better, it's just something they've selected for programming.

This again..... *sigh*

For the last time: RTE are a public broadcaster and so they have a duty and responsibility to broadcast any news that they think the public will be interested in.

RTE are useless at the best of times, however all the world news channels are also giving this widespread coverage. It's what many people do want to hear and are interested in.

It is not a case of "promoting religion", so people like OP can come off their high horse, it's about providing a public broadcasting service to the people.

If you have a problem with it, then your quibble is with public broadcasting in general, NOT public broadcasting of religious events. They are "promoting" Murder, She Wrote and CSI Miami a lot more than the time they give to religion. Or the grand national or sport.

You can just as easily say how dare RTE promote sport. Nice try for trying to jump on the religion-hating bandwagon (and I'm an atheist) and get up on the soapbox but your argument doesn't work.

I'm sorry I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. I don't hate religion. I am not religious myself but I understand that others are.

Also, I'm not on any high horse (which I thought was more how your post read) but I am entitled to my opinion and posted here to see other peoples view on it.
    However, whist people gathering in a square in Rome, I don't think it should be the top story, with a live interview with a reporter. I have looked at other news stations tonight and not one of them has had this story as main headline.

Don't see your point about sport and CSI etc. They are entertainment shows. The news however should be reporting on important events of the day and I don't see how the build-up (rather than the event itself) warrants top story billing.
    Simple as that.

They're not showing a bias by having the Angelus because it's just a programme that people want. If they came on and said the catholic religion was *better* than other religions, that would be showing a bias.

It's like if they had a programme for children on or a programme for women. That doesn't mean they are saying that children are better or women are better, it's just something they've selected for programming.

Sorry this makes no sense to me at all.

The Angelus is a catholic tradition, so RTE scheduling this is definitely showing a catholic bias at the exclusion of others. I don't see how you can deny that.

Your other point: Children's and Women's programmes are scheduled to target that audience and grab market share.

I can't accept that The Angelus is something that the majority of Irish People want. Do people change channel at 6 for it or have a series link in their Sky Planner?
    It's dated and I've never seen it any other Christian country (RTE Broadcasting Angelus is mentioned on Wikipedia page about Angelus Link)and should be dropped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Angelus isn't a programme, it's a call to prayer broadcasted on prime time television by our publicly funded national broadcaster. You don't need a priest on the tv saying all other religions are bad for it to be considered biased.

Comparing it to children's or women's programmes is weak to say the least.

A more appropriate analogy would be replacing the angelus with a Fianna Fail Party Political Broadcast, would you still agree that they're not showing any bias in that case?

Sorry this makes no sense to me at all.

The Angelus is a catholic tradition, so RTE scheduling this is definitely showing a catholic bias at the exclusion of others. I don't see how you can deny that.

Your other point: Children's and Women's programmes are scheduled to target that audience and grab market share.

I can't accept that The Angelus is something that the majority of Irish People want. Do people change channel at 6 for it or have a series link in their Sky Planner?
    It's dated and I've never seen it any other Christian country (RTE Broadcasting Angelus is mentioned on Wikipedia page about Angelus Link)and should be dropped.
    The days of the traditional Angelus are well and truly gone so I'm not sure what the difficulty is. There are no holy pictures just footage of ordinary people taking a moment to reflect or pray. I think it is harmless, there are alot of things IMO on TV that are worth complaining or getting upset about but I don't honestly see the big deal about this.

The days of the traditional Angelus are well and truly gone so I'm not sure what the difficulty is. There are no holy pictures just footage of ordinary people taking a moment to reflect or pray. I think it is harmless, there are alot of things IMO on TV that are worth complaining or getting upset about but I don't honestly see the big deal about this.

The images have changed to non-religious but the message is the same and is inappropriate in a modern society.

When I switch on TV I want to be entertained by some programmes and informed by others. I don't want to be called to prayer or reminded to reflect!

• Advertisement

So is the Angelus. Think of all the old people in particular that tune in especially for the Angelus.

When I switch on TV I want to be entertained by some programmes and informed by others. I don't want to be called to prayer or reminded to reflect!

Well, with all due respect, it doesn't matter what you want. Not above others who also pay their tv licence. Lots of programmes encourage you to "reflect" anyway (including fictional shows), you don't have to watch them. It is not for you to say what's appropriate or "inappropriate in a modern society".

Well, with all due respect, it doesn't matter what you want. Not above others who also pay their tv licence. Lots of programmes encourage you to "reflect" anyway (including fictional shows), you don't have to watch them.

OK: I give up and in future won't miss the daily reminder that we don't live in a proper modern, secular society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

This again..... *sigh*

The 'public interest' (RTE's duty) and what the public are interested in are 2 very different things. In this case it might be argued that the public interest is to promote no religion above any other. It doesn't matter if the majority of the public are interested in one.

The images have changed to non-religious but the message is the same and is inappropriate in a modern society.

We need to respect all people, people of faith and none and I feel that RTE have tried in this instance to accomodate both. The traditional angelus (with holy pictures) has been replaced by 1 minute of reflection or prayer.

Well, with all due respect, it doesn't matter what you want. Not above others who also pay their tv licence. Lots of programmes encourage you to "reflect" anyway (including fictional shows), you don't have to watch them. It is not for you to say what's appropriate or "inappropriate in a modern society".

Please name one fictional show that encourages you to reflect about your religion?

We need to respect all people, people of faith and none and I feel that RTE have tried in this instance to accomodate both. The traditional angelus (with holy pictures) has been replaced by minute of reflection or prayer.

If the Angelus has been replaced by a minute of reflection, why is it still listed as The Angelus? link

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    If the Angelus has been replaced by a minute of reflection, why is it still listed as The Angelus? link
    My point is that the traditional angelus (with catholic imagery) has gone, now you see images of people cleaning their villages ahead of the Tidy Towns Competition etc.

My point is that the traditional angelus (with catholic imagery) has gone, now you see images of people cleaning their villages ahead of the Tidy Towns Competition etc.

I honestly don't see how changing the imagery makes it non-catholic. The Angelus is a particular prayer traditionally recited at 6 p.m. among other times. Perhaps, if the non-Catholic imagery was matched with eliminating the Church bells, and it was renamed 'Secularist Reflection Minute' or something similar, it might be more acceptable (but of course its Christian origins would still be evident).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

So it is called The Angelus still. Does it still have the bell ringing?

Advertisement