Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ to Air First Ever Live Commercial in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

zuroph wrote: »
    im sure the two companies are one and the same, otherwise there'd be a legal issue here.. and THAT is why the idea was stolen.

Sorry, I've read my post back & I should clarify - My point was not about company ethics, but rather about the fact that the whole idea of the identical characters was rendered completely pointless by a lazy creative type : the Tintin joke that the UK campaign was based on didn't make any sense when imported to Ireland, as the characters were no longer identically named.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The UK camapign isn't based on TinTin at all - its some runner guy who's name I forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I dont think he was suggesting that the physical look of the ad campaign was based on tintin.

Its the facts that the two characters look alike, behave strangely and refer to each other as "118" which are references to Thompson and Tompson from the Hergé books, a quirk which is lost in the Irish version of these ads, as the Characters of 118 and 50 (unlike the UK 118 & 118 OR The Belgian T&T) do not share the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Well it was sh1te really wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

What was the point of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The sad thing is the people behind it are all patting each other on the back for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There was actually nothing to it. I don't know, maybe my expectations were too high? They might has well have had George in studio saying call 11850.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Zaph wrote: »
    RTÉ to Air First Ever Live Commercial in Ireland

This isn't so. I caught about 15 mins of Morning AM this morning. The entire show itself was just wall to wall of live commericals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the advertisiement campaign is so crap, yes it loses any sense it made when it hopes over to ireland and what is it supposed to protray the competancy of the people looking to give you the numbers, i don't think so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh my God, that 'commercial' was so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I have to admit i missed it. The rugby was so entertaining, I had to go to the jacks at half time. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

The ad was a failure on every conceivable level. I am genuinely surprised at how bad it was.

Calling out the scores was the only "live" aspect of it that could be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

humanji wrote: »
    The sad thing is the people behind it are all patting each other on the back for that.

There was a short piece about it on the RTE News last night, featuring some woman from RTE citing it as a great example of the creativity in RTE.

I couldn't have said it better myself, but not in the way she meant :D !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I usually get a chuckle out of the two nifty's but this ad was a steaming pile of muck.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

It was a mixture of a crap ad, rubbish actors, awful timing and some sort of misguided attempt at emulating what the Après match lads do during the soccer. Yet another tick in the rubbish column for RTÉ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think one of them was that squish faced gimp from the AIB ad about the actor who plays an actor who is readily able to get a mortgage despite (A) being an actor and (B) seeming to have variable success at actually getting work in this field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lulu77

There's a piss take of 11850 guys on youtube where the guys get kidnapped..they should have put this on the telly instead! Much more entertaining.

Advertisement