Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ sports coverage niggle...

Options
  • 11-10-2008 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd post a thread to see if anyone else found that the sports coverage, especially football, on RTÉ2 was starting to grate.
    I'm referring to the very very annoying jingle/jangle type sound that they insist on playing when an on-screen graphic (score, substitution, booking) pops up/minimises.
    I'd love to know who in Montrose thought that this was a good or necessary step...personally I find it so off putting that I just don't bother with the premiership and watch MOTD instead (which is a shame because I like the punditry team on RTÉ)...when it's GAA I have little choice but watch RTÉ and put up with the jingle jangle. Of course like any minor annoyance, once you notice it, you can't ignore it. No other sports programme/channel does this that I'm aware of, preferring instead to just on-screen display, as it should be....why do RTÉ have to do stuff like this?
    I've emailed their complaints dept about it, but I doubt I'll get a reply or a satisfactory answer.
    So am I the only one bothered by this? I know it's not the end of the world but it's very off putting and is of absolutely no benefit to anyone...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Deffo, the swish, swoosh, zing thing has, over the last 10 years or so become a bane - All Skys fault of course they started it. Sadly its what happens when you let kids loose in the production suite.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mike65 wrote: »
    Deffo, the swish, swoosh, zing thing has, over the last 10 years or so become a bane - All Skys fault of course they started it. Sadly its what happens when you let kids loose in the production suite.

Mike

Can't say I've ever noticed it on Sky, but then I usually only ever watch Sky in a pub where you can barely hear commentary. I'm willing to bet that Sky's sound isn't nearly as teeth grindingly grating as the RTÉ noise...it sounds like someone breaking 20 crystal goblets simultaneously. Between this and their oversized screendogs, I grow wearier of our encumbent broadcaster by the minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I 'm not too sure if Sky still do it (I only see it now and again) but they have used it, ITV used to have a dull thud sound when the screen did a "flip" for a replay. They have the England games as of today. I'll be watching and listening.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's only been introduced the last few weeks....WHY:confused: Like you I noticed it and found it irritating straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Maybe you've only noticed it with the return of the Premiership, but GAA fans have been plagued with this since at least early summer as far as I can recall.
    The first few times I heard it I thought it was interferenece or background noise from pitchside mics...only because I couldn't for the life of me see what benefit could possibly be gained from adding it into the mix of a football match...

• Advertisement
Advertisement