Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Six-One News, December 27th, 2006

Options
  • 27-12-2006 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else see this news bulletin? I think the news team were suffering from major hangovers.

I think, in all, four reports wouldn't run in this supposed-to-be twenty-five-minute bulletin. Accordingly, it finished ten minutes before it was due to end. The sports presenter, Colm Murray, was particularly badly affected. He apologised profusely several times for what was going on. Eventually, some pictures of the Ashes cricket was shown, and the poor man said he was having a nightmare akin to the on England was having against Australia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

they were drunk?lol..any links anyone??sure someone with sky can get one or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

europerson wrote:
    Did anyone else see this news bulletin? I think the news team were suffering from major hangovers.

I think, in all, four reports wouldn't run in this supposed-to-be twenty-five-minute bulletin. Accordingly, it finished ten minutes before it was due to end. The sports presenter, Colm Murray, was particularly badly affected. He apologised profusely several times for what was going on. Eventually, some pictures of the Ashes cricket was shown, and the poor man said he was having a nightmare akin to the on England was having against Australia.
    Yep - it was a bit of a disaster. Sara Byrne(?) was doing the piece on the death of Gerald Ford (RIP) and practically read it from her notes. Maybe the autocue person was on the razzle! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

I think he handled the situation quite well. I'd love to see an RTE News "outtakes" reel. There must be one somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I saw it. Looked very bad. I was lookig forward to seeing clips of Munster Leinster match. Instead the sports news was just horse racing and cricket.
    Very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I think this is it: http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/6news.smil (RealPlayer)

Watching it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Haha good stuff. They're a total joke.

You can watch it here

http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/6news.smil

"bummer festival"? I thought the Gay Pride parade was in June? :confused:

Stay off the sauce missus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nightmare down under, hehe. "Well, he was there." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Colin Murray's gesture at the very end of the news. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Saw it live, not at all surprised that there's a thread about it.

Those links won't work after tomorrow, so for convienence:
    Full Bulletin
    Sports News

Truly was car crash television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Can someone put it on youtube or something? Realplayer is utter ****e....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i thought it was very funny, but they mess something up most nights not just tonight, rte couldnt organise a pissup in a brewery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

I think he handled the situation quite well. I'd love to see an RTE News "outtakes" reel. There must be one somewhere.

At least he apologised, a lot of people nowadays wouldn't.

Telefís compiled these beauties:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51339580&postcount=47

Plus there's this bulletin (Thanks again to Telefís)

Charlie Bird Thanks to Sstepski
    Running Order mix-up Scroll to 10:41 (23 August 2005)
    Running Order Scroll to 43:05 (26 April 2006)
    Audio Channel missing Scroll to 5:06 (1 May 2006)
    Don't have it there... Scroll to 17:23 (5 May 2006)
    Autocue / Running Order Scroll to 6:23* (7 May 2006)
    Uncued VT Scroll to 12:20 (20 May 2006)
    Bad Location / Disturbance Scroll to 3:13** (2 June 2006)
    Satellite Break Scroll to 2:47 (29 June 2006)
    Satellite Break Scroll to 23:10 (Watch to the end) (4 July 2006)
    Eurovision News Menus: Scroll to 7:12 (17 August 2006)
    Rewinding on-air Scroll to 16:23 (15 September 2006)
    Report delay Scroll to 11:16 (20 September 2006)
    Fake temperature forecast Scroll to 0:07 (24 September 2006)
    Extended Weather Scroll to 1:57 (27 September 2006)
    Wrong audio levels Scroll to 4:31 (9 October 2006)
    Weather Lighting Scroll to 1:55 (10 November 2006)
    Freudian Slip Scroll to 18:05
    Analysis from Telefís From The TV Forum (See the top post).

A lot of these are technical, so aren't really funny as such. They just highlight the inability to go a few days without things going drastically wrong. Thanks again to the guys at the TV Forum for keeping an eye on things!

*Listen carefully - at the end of the live link you can hear Eileen and floor staff reveal that the "autocue's gone". Keep watching and see what happens.

**What he did was utterly wrong, and although he doesn't deserve further attention, it does highlight the terrible locations RTÉ often choose. A better spot could definitely be picked for a shot they're going to use so regularly.

admiralgar wrote:
    they mess something up most nights not just tonight, rte couldnt organise a pissup in a brewery
    A bit harsh admiralgar. Most nights it goes without a hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

lol would ya love for him to just say "right i can F**king work under these conditions" and stood up and walked off.lol..the only sport report that worked was the most boring sport

Soby wrote:
    the only sport report that worked was the most boring sport
    I beg to differ. I've never understood the attraction that grown men losing their shirts, watching a gang of little men in silly coloured clothes awkwardly riding farm animals around a track. *yawn*...ZZZZZZZZZZZ. Real men play cricket. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

That reminds me of a sketch on "The Mary Whitehouse Experience", which hypothesised what if betting was taken out of horse racing?

Commentator: "And there off!, and out in front is a horse, followed by another horse, then by a horse with a brown face, and coming up to the finish.. OH MY WORD WHAT A SPECTACLE OF EQUINE AGILITY AND DEXTERITY THIS HAS BEEN!" :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I can't get realplayer working!! Would it be up on youtube anywhere? Really want to see that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pacifico wrote:
    Realplayer is utter ****e....

Real Alternative FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

was hilarious
    saved it to my sky+ box
    he handled it very well though

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MoreBeer

I believe that VTs have recently been replaced by Server playouts. Obviously there are teething problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

dory wrote:
    I can't get realplayer working!! Would it be up on youtube anywhere? Really want to see that...

This should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

whassupp2 wrote:
    was lookig forward to seeing clips of Munster Leinster match. Instead the sports news was just horse racing and cricket.

Horse Racing is nothing new to RTE News - It doesn't matter who's presenting the sports news - it's always more important than anything else:

"You're welcome back, now a look at Monday's sports headlines;
    : Ireland beat Brazil to win World Cup,
    : Irish athletes get 5 golds in Olympics,
    : and Ireland win every sporting event under the sun.
    But first to racing..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ever consider a lot of people enjoy horse racing

nice to see you back btw

Sara Byrne(?)
    Susan Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

seriously though RTE are always having problems for e.g during the Man U football match today they lost commentry for ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Yep - it was a bit of a disaster.

RTE is more often than not a bit of a disaster, despite the fact they are paid so much , adds are so expensive on it and the licence fee is so high. Most people I know prefer to watch BBC or UTV or SKY etc

It's even worse that they insist on having a DOG on screen at all times. They say it strengthens brand identity when they simulcast shows with BBC/UTV. But I switch to BBC/UTV just to escape the DOG!

Advertisement