Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ reporting on the lebonan conflict.

• 03-08-2006 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Now I don't know if this is in the right thread, but I was appalled when watching the 9 o'clock news this evening. On the day that the our government condemns the actions of Israel in the Lebanon, RTÉ deliver what can only be described as blatantly pro-Israeli commentary upon the crisis in the middle east.

I know that news coverage of any war should give as even handed a view as possible and there has been huge focus upon the Leboneese plight but RTÉ this evening was nothing short of a joke. Have we suddenly begun to back Israel in this conflict, well if the general public hasn't the news editors in RTÉ certaintly have.

I was absolutely sickened. The one sidedness of the news tonight was nothing short of appalling, and I think we should both expect and demand better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i shall have a look at the news on their website and see. didnt think it was obviously pro Israel last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

I only have caught bits and pieces of the whole situation but I agree with you on the RTE news, but as I said I have not followed this closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If I recall, I was cheering RTÉ for the interview with the Israeli spokeswoman recently. He grilled her for an unacceptable civilian casualty rate. She didn't/wouldn't/couldn't answer him.

They're reasonably balanced from what I've seen.

Pull your knee out of your mouth, sit back and take stock of the situation.

Yes, the Zionists are hypocritial religious zealots who are entrenched in the corridors of power, using the US WarOnTewwowizm partyline as an excuse to clear land for settlement.
    But Hezzbullah aren't exactly fighting for the good of Lebanon either.

which part of the news was pro Israeli? the bit where the guy who had his family out from Meath said that Israel were taking out years of anger and targetting civillians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

ya its your point of view really, i watch alot of the US news over here and when you compare RTE to that, RTE comes across as pure pro-Lebanese. But i had to laugh, on FOX the other night during the commercials was a plea for humanitarian aid and donations for the suffering of the Israeli people but they mention nothing of the 900 dead Lebanese, just talk about the 30 dead Israelis!

so FOX are reporting it as Israel v Lebanon then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I think, when dealing with a situation where Israel is so clearly behaving abominably, it's very difficult for any news broadcaster (this side of Fox News) to report the facts and appear anything other than biased against Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Ray777 wrote:
    I think, when dealing with a situation where Israel is so clearly behaving abominably, it's very difficult for any news broadcaster (this side of Fox News) to report the facts and appear anything other than biased against Israel.

was watch the O'Reilly factor on fox the other day, as far as they are concerned, they have warned southern lenbanon viva leflet so anyone who gets bombed is fair game,

they are something else, just watch them for a laugh

FOX News is a joke. nothing more. i would hope that Americans dont buy into their propaganda bull****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Go to Youtube, type in Olbermann and then watch MSNBC's Keith Olbermann rip the p*ss out of every piece of crap that comes out of O'Reilly's mouth. I used to watch FOX purely for the fact that I was interested in US news but the more I paid attention to its editorial content the more I got annoyed. O'Reilly s**teing on about how the London bombings would be good for the US (in that now Europe would realise its a "global" war on terror) on the very same day those bombings took place just took the biscuit.

Anyway, Olbermann's great - he can exaggerate occasionally but generally he's fair. Plus you get to hear all the crap FOX have been coming out with without actually watching the channel, e.g. it's more important to support Israel's right to defend itself than ensure the Lebanese aren't killed - that in response to a question which enquired about the hypocrisy of give weapons to Israel then aid to Lebanon. Anyhoo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Agree with you 100% daveirl.

Advertisement