Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Harika

weisses wrote: »
    About the noise

pathetic the way it is now TBH

Yeah you need noise protecting ear plugs/headphones or you leave with at least temporary acoustic trauma or in the worst case permanent hearing damage. Why would anyone not want that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

flazio wrote: »
    BBC Red Button now.

If you have satellite, as flazio says it's on the Red Button. You can select a HD stream of it if you press blue and select the particular stream.

And there's more tennis too, but there's plenty of that on the main channels.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,298 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why is there no Round 9 Silverstone thread? Is Rebel kid not around. Has the new nose on the Force India made there car any better at all? The Mclaren still seems to be strugglling with grip a lot. I see Mano-Marrusia have another sponser. Why is Alonso not out on track? Only turned on FP2 with 30mins to go thats why I ask .Meant to turn it on earlier but was busy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭weisses

Harika wrote: »
    Yeah you need noise protecting ear plugs/headphones or you leave with at least temporary acoustic trauma or in the worst case permanent hearing damage. Why would anyone not want that?

Its all part of going to the race ..You need to feel the engine roar ...the sight ..the feel ...the sound

All that combined makes for a perfect formula 1 weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Calling it now, Rosberg for the title this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I bet you're a joy to be with in a niteclub...!

Ms

Some good news for Mclaren Honda. They could have done with this at the last race do.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119795

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Some good news for Mclaren Honda. They could have done with this at the last race do.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119795

Hardly of any real worth to them though, one extra engine when they're already through a full seasons worth at not even half way through the season. At the rate that McLaren is eating engines, an extra one buys them what...2 races, 3 at a push?

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I bet you're a joy to be with in a niteclub...!

Bad Example: A night club is limited to 90 decibel; the old V8 engines had a maximum of 145 decibel.

Bad Example: A night club is limited to 90 decibel; the old V8 engines had a maximum of 145 decibel.
    I don't believe that 90 dB thing. Like at all. Time to give my mate a shout to bring his multi-meter with him later. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Myrddin wrote: »
    Calling it now, Rosberg for the title this year.

Will quote you on this just after Abu Dhabi ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

skipper_G wrote: »
    I agree with you, the noise is irrelevant, what matters is that we have good close racing and plenty of competitive teams. Not a 3 or 4 tier grid like we seem to have.

Formula E has lots of very close racing and a fantastic driver lineup, but it always seems boring as shít imo. Sound is a huge part of motor racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Formula E has lots of very close racing and a fantastic driver lineup, but it always seems boring as shít imo. Sound is a huge part of motor racing.

I can't comment on Formula E because I haven't watched any of it. But I think in the context of F1, I know I would rather see close racing with a competitive field sounding like the current cars than something processional with screaming V8's or V10's. Cost control is more important right now, than what the engines sound like IMO.

Ms

@Skipper_G you should check out Formula E on You-Tube all the races should be up there now. I must say I enjoyed all of the Formula E races this season and did not find any of them boring but it can be hard to keep up with the drivers as there was a lot of changes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought Formula E was a huge success. Sure it was a bit gimmicky at times but the quality of racing really shone though. It was much better than I was expecting and I didn't really miss the noise at all.

I can't wait for next year. F-E had the feeling of old school racing where nobody had a clue what to do, it was all guess work and trial and error. That brings a lot of excitement to a sport. The development of this sport will be fascinating to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought Formula E was a huge success. Sure it was a bit gimmicky at times but the quality of racing really shone though. It was much better than I was expecting and I didn't really miss the noise at all.

I can't wait for next year. F-E had the feeling of old school racing where nobody had a clue what to do, it was all guess work and trial and error. That brings a lot of excitement to a sport. The development of this sport will be fascinating to watch.

It's a success, but I just couldn't equate it to the likes of F1. The technology is cool and impressive, and like I said they've got some great drivers on the grid with very close racing. I do agree it'll be fascinating to watch the sport develop, particularly as batteries and e-car development continues to improve.

Compared to F1 though, it's still sort of slow, the tracks seem more technical and less free-flowing and I think the lack of sound has a certain dissociation with a sense of speed or acceleration.

It just doesn't get my juices flowing, and I think it has a lot to do with the lack of 'noise'. But, at no point can I criticise the quality of the racing!

Ms

FP3 on now on BBC2. I think Lewis has been holding back on the fp1 and 2 and he will be on the ball when it comes to qualifying. This is the race to win for Lewis has he has the home crowd. Talking again about Lewis not getting the car balance right I don,t think he did that bad yesterday. Think he will do much better today.
    Also refueling will not be coming back as the strategy group looked at it and said when it was there there was no passing on track at all. Personely I think thats just a cheap way of saying it would be too expensive. They are looking at other rule changes for next year do including fuel usage maybe allowing teams to use more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119849

Wonder will this come off, the Aston Martin part isn't the important bit since they would just be sponsors it's the Mercedes engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,386 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Question is would it be good for Mercedes team to have Redbull with a stronger engine. If a Mercedes engine in the Redbull brought them up to the level of Williams if might be another team to take points off Ferrari. Difficult to see Mecedes Redbull car happening though. Would be better for sport if Renault and Honda were more competitive, if they could make a step similar to what Ferrari did it would solve a few problems.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119849

Wonder will this come off, the Aston Martin part isn't the important bit since they would just be sponsors it's the Mercedes engine.

I can't imagine it will, to have a realistic chance of winning a championship for a non works team they at least need to be a works partner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can't imagine it will, to have a realistic chance of winning a championship for a non works team they at least need to be a works partner.

Ya. It would be a pointless exercise for redbull. They would be just becoming another mercedes underling like williams and it would further kill f1.
    I think f1 needs a strong honda and at least one further engine supplier in addition to renault, mercedes and ferrari to have enough competition.
    I think that audi supplying engines to the red bulls would be a good plan for f1 with the eventual option of a buyout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

That's assuming that they are still left with that choice. The rumours about Renault taking back control over Enstone just won't go away and there's been a few articles about it being on the way this week.

If Renault have decided they are going to go back to being an F1 team, RBR would then have no reason to stay with them since they would lose the works status and that is pretty much all the Renault engines have going for them right now.

That's assuming that they are still left with that choice. The rumours about Renault taking back control over Enstone just won't go away and there's been a few articles about it being on the way this week.

If Renault have decided they are going to go back to being an F1 team, RBR would then have no reason to stay with them since they would lose the works status and that is pretty much all the Renault engines have going for them right now.

Would serve red bull right if renault become a full works outfit at another team and go on to have success. Redbulls immediate rubbishing of all things renault as soon as they were no longer winning was nothing short of disgusting giving the amazing history Renault have in f1.
    I've no doubt Renault will get on top of this and be very successful in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Maybe I'm wrong about the noise then. I couldn't give a monkeys about the noise. I want to hear the commentators anyway so it makes no real difference to me.

Maybe I if you're watching a car do tricks on a street, noise matters. I just care about the racing.

+1. Noise is just wasted energy with zero benefits to anyone or any part of the racing.

having been at a race recently it's an annoyance more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

+1. Noise is just wasted energy with zero benefits to anyone or any part of the racing.

having been at a race recently it's an annoyance more than anything.

Well then off you go and watch Formula E. I just can't fathom how any F1 fan who has been to a race could come out with the above.

I'll never forget the first time hearing a screaming V10 as it mounted the crest of Eau Rouge... the immense noise reverberating inside your chest. Followed by the distant thunderstorm of downshifts as it approached corner in the distance.

Thankfully the majority of F1 fans think noise is indeed important so hopefully someday, the current pathetic power units will be improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just watching the British review 1986 on BBC. The results were interesting except for the top 2 every car was lapped and they say the racing was closer back then??!!

Only 9 finished out of 22. What a difference it is these days.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Just watching the British review 1986 on BBC. The results were interesting except for the top 2 every car was lapped and they say the racing was closer back then??!!

Only 9 finished out of 22. What a difference it is these days.

Saw the race and compared to today I wonder if taking the tire coaching away from the team and giving it back to the driver would spice up races, cause it is a bit ridiculous when a driver is told to save tires by managing the front right or wait with a change two more laps to fit better into strategy. Like Mansell did with his additional stop, I think this was his gamble and not the teams one, what was a fantastic achievement by him.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-rules-out-aston-martin-red-bull-tie-up/

Another Mercedes source told Motorsport.com: "Red Bull have been asking [for engines] since February 2014 – they ring up every week! If you see how they've treated Renault they are not a good partner to have..."

I think Karma bites here very strongly.

So, a 3 week gap to the next race, & then a 4 week gap to the one after? Christ, who planned that? 2 races in just under 2 months :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,279 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, a 3 week gap to the next race, & then a 4 week gap to the one after? Christ, who planned that? 2 races in just under 2 months :rolleyes:

If Germany had been able to host their race it would have been next week or the week after IIRC - then the summer brake.

If Germany had been able to host their race it would have been next week or the week after IIRC - then the summer brake.

Ah, indeed, makes sense. Forgot we lost a GP! Gonna be painful now as a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭tripperman

Ah, indeed, makes sense. Forgot we lost a GP! Gonna be painful now as a result

Yeah gonna be a drag till they get to Hungary and I wonder will sky show the classic 1997 and 2006 Hungary GPS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Eddie seemed fairly sharp with some of those comments, & while McLaren certainly are hopeless at the moment, I don't particularly equate that to the departure of Whitmarsh to allow Dennis to take the reigns - but then again, EJ knows a lot more inside stuff that we don't know. Maybe he's heard of an undercurrent of dissent in the McLaren camp? Who knows really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Eddie seemed fairly sharp with some of those comments, & while McLaren certainly are hopeless at the moment, I don't particularly equate that to the departure of Whitmarsh to allow Dennis to take the reigns - but then again, EJ knows a lot more inside stuff that we don't know. Maybe he's heard of an undercurrent of dissent in the McLaren camp? Who knows really...

Eddie is friends with Bernie,Bernie despises Ron.......

• Advertisement

I think there's been dissent in the McLaren camp for a while now. Apparently Ron Dennis and Mansour Ojjeh haven't been getting on for a while, and Ron wants his shares. Apparently Dennis and Eric Boullier wanted to put Magnussen in the car this year but Ojjeh and the shareholders wanted Button. So I'd say EJ is fairly close to the mark with these comments.

Zcott wrote: »
    I think there's been dissent in the McLaren camp for a while now. Apparently Ron Dennis and Mansour Ojjeh haven't been getting on for a while, and Ron wants his shares. Apparently Dennis and Eric Boullier wanted to put Magnussen in the car this year but Ojjeh and the shareholders wanted Button. So I'd say EJ is fairly close to the mark with these comments.

Perhaps Mansour upset that Ron took back control while he was undergoing a transplant operation....Ron also allegedly promised a buyer for the other shareholders by the end of 2014,not to sure about Ron wanting Magnusson,Martin Whitmarsh was Magnussons backer I have read previously that Ron wanted Jenson.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Perhaps Mansour upset that Ron took back control while he was undergoing a transplant operation....Ron also allegedly promised a buyer for the other shareholders by the end of 2014,not to sure about Ron wanting Magnusson,Martin Whitmarsh was Magnussons backer I have read previously that Ron wanted Jenson.

I took it from telegraph.co.uk.
    Ron Dennis, the McLaren chairman, and Eric Boullier, the racing director, are thought to have originally favoured keeping Magnussen. The Dane, 22, is considerably cheaper, at around £500,000 a year as opposed to Button’s £12  million. Magnussen is also seen as a better bet for the future, with Button aged 34. Despite Button comprehensively outscoring his team-mate in 2014, Dennis did not seem keen on the Briton. He even memorably told Button to “try harder” earlier in the season.

However, he does not seem to have been able to win the argument at board level. A meeting last Thursday with McLaren’s two other principal shareholders — Mansour Ojjeh, the TAG co-owner, and Mumtalakat, Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund – did not produce any white smoke.

The delay has clearly stretched to its limits the otherwise good relationship between Button and McLaren. The Briton’s management and Dennis did not speak for nearly two weeks after the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi, with many feeling the team have not shown Button the respect he deserves as a former world champion. His management declined to comment when contacted by The Daily Telegraph.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/jenson-button/11285220/Jenson-Buttons-future-with-McLaren-for-2015-season-set-to-be-revealed-in-Thursday-press-conference.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

CG6oP25XEAArbZ7.png

Not sure what to say about this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's quite funny really...Button aged 34 (35 now) is old, Alonso who is one year younger is not. Talk about two weights, two measures.

Also, as I have said many times before, McLaren would have been better off keeping Button and Magnussen for this season - it was clear it was going to be a struggle, and Alonso isn't exactly known as the best guy to roll up his sleeves and get down to the dirty business when things go pear shaped. Ask Ferrari.

• Advertisement

That's an article about button and his struggle to get a drive for this season. Nothing new there.
    I can see more of the same shortly even though he has a 2 year contract.

Yeah silly season should be upon us quite soon. They were saying on Sky there's rumours of Ricciardo heading to Ferrari to take Kimi's seat, rumours of Bottas doing the same, Hulk or Grosjean to Williams etc

Actually, the McLaren seat alongside Alonso will be worth keeping an eye on. Button and Magnussen are again in the running, but Stoffell Vandoorne is on the books too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

And now talk of Aston Martin looking to get into the sport with a Merc-engined team (Williams or Force India). Merc own 5% of Aston Martin and are believe to have given the nod for them to enter the sport using a Merc engine.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119869

It is also rumoured that Aston Martin may take Red Bull but there may be complications with engine supplier there. And with Adrian Newey working on a road car with Aston Martin, it gets all very interesting as to what will happen next between Merc & Red Bull!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119879

Silly season is amoung us!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Actually, the McLaren seat alongside Alonso will be worth keeping an eye on. Button and Magnussen are again in the running, but Stoffell Vandoorne is on the books too.

Indeed, & with the hype train now boarding from Vandoorne station, Magnussen must be a bit miffed.

mickdw wrote: »
    That's an article about button and his struggle to get a drive for this season. Nothing new there.

Think Button only on a 1 year extension

mickdw wrote: »

Think Button only on a 1 year extension

Yeah silly season should be upon us quite soon. They were saying on Sky there's rumours of Ricciardo heading to Ferrari to take Kimi's seat, rumours of Bottas doing the same, Hulk or Grosjean to Williams etc

Has Grosjean really done anything to deserve being talked about though, even for a Williams seat ? The Lotus hasn't been the best but still he hasn't covered himself in glory either.

This could be the one to watch especially if Vandoorne wins the GP2 title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Taki Inoue is going to make a shock return to the sport and is to drive alongside Pastor Maldonado next year at Lotus. Formal announcement to be made at the Hungaroring later this month.

Inoue and Maldonado, what a pairing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,386 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Ron did say in interview after British GP that Button has 2 year contract

I guess you never know though , what condition there are

• Advertisement
Advertisement