Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Wordpress site scalable for Tablets

Options
  • 09-12-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Does anyone know how to make a wordpress site scalable for a tablet. The site looks fine on my desktop however when I view it on a tablet, the banner goes off the screen and also some of the items on the menu are not visible. I can't seems to scroll across the screen to view what's missing therefore some of the site is cut off.

I'm using the twenty-twelve theme however I created a child theme and changed the width of the banner and menu to 1040px. Is this the problem??

HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

You have to either make or get a theme that is able to respond to different screen sizes. Look for responsive design Wordpress templates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Twenty Twelve is responsive, you need to do something with that banner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 farfallaa

Well I had a similar experience and I learned my lesson. Responsive themes are responsive for a reason - the sizes of banners and other web elements are very precisely calculated. for this reason I try not to play around with them. I have recently s tarted using responsive theme (the popular one) - I think it may be a bit more flexible if you want to make child themes without ruining the view on different devices..

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

There are plugins for WordPress that can help make some older designs "more" responsive. How successful this is depends on the theme.
    A responsive theme has the code built in that changes the css that the browser gets supplied with depending on the screen width.
    On some of our sites phone/tablet users account for close to 40% of visitors. So unless your site displays well on a small screen you could be losing potential leads and clients.

Advertisement