Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress updates - risks?

Options
  • 11-08-2013 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I got a website created in Wordpress earlier this year and I manage it now. There are a number of updates available:

1 x Worpress update to version 3.6
    1 x theme update
    12 x plugin updates

Is it advisable to select all and update them all in one rattle or should I do them 1 by 1 and check after each one for any adverse going ons?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I always do a complete backup before updating. I have had plugins break on me.

The paranoid approach:

Back it up.

Check that you have a good backup.

Deactivate all plugins.

Upgrade Wordpress.

Upgrade all plugins.

Reactivate the plugins one at a time, verifying that your site behaves correctly after bringing each online.

You could go try updating the core and plugins at once, but if it goes pear-shaped, it may be traicky to troubleshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Excuse my ignorance Kenny but is this what were're talking about? http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance Kenny but is this what were're talking about? http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups

No. A complete backup through your host's control panel, database and files.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There's also a risk if you don't upgrade ..

While some upgrades of plugins, themes etc., are for new functionality, the reality is that a LOT of them include bug fixes and security fixes

If you don't upgrade you could be leaving your site open to attack .. ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

3vhegg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

sometimes auto updates mess up and the site stays in maintenance mode. then you have to go to the folder wordpress is installed in, and look for the invisible .maintenance file, and delete it. That one caused to me reinstall WP on more than one occasion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Domain

I only ever had one issue with wordpress updates, no real damage was done but to be on the safe side a backup is always advisable. You hosting provider can also give you information on this.

The paranoid approach:

Back it up.

Check that you have a good backup.

Deactivate all plugins.

Upgrade Wordpress.

Upgrade all plugins.

Reactivate the plugins one at a time, verifying that your site behaves correctly after bringing each online.

You could go try updating the core and plugins at once, but if it goes pear-shaped, it may be traicky to troubleshoot.

Got to the Upgrade Wordpress part and it kept saying it couldn't copy files. I spent ages trying to change directory permissions but had no luck. Then got on to my host and they said they don't support the latest version of Wordpress! They said they're currently migrating and it could be 8 weeks before my account is migrated! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Got to the Upgrade Wordpress part and it kept saying it couldn't copy files. I spent ages trying to change directory permissions but had no luck. Then got on to my host and they said they don't support the latest version of Wordpress! They said they're currently migrating and it could be 8 weeks before my account is migrated! :rolleyes:

I would move to another hosting company. Crazy excuse.

• Advertisement

Yes, I've considered it - I'm sure you can guess which company it is?
    I've just paid for a year's hosting though so might need to sit tight.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yes, I've considered it - I'm sure you can guess which company it is?
    I've just paid for a year's hosting though so might need to sit tight.

I think I know the company your talking about, possibly an Irish provider beginning with the letter D..? :) . I had a site with them and only had MySQL4/PHP4 enabled. They did move me to another server when I asked to be upgraded, I'm no longer with this company :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I think I know the company your talking about, possibly an Irish provider beginning with the letter D..? :) . I had a site with them and only had MySQL4/PHP4 enabled. They did move me to another server when I asked to be upgraded, I'm no longer with this company :)

Nick

Bingo! I might asked them to upgrade me, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hatchmedia

I (stupidly) upgraded to 3.6 on the day it came out and it conflicted with the WP layer sliders I had on my websites. A fix wasn't brought out for a couple of days so I was left with blank images till then

I went through all of the steps suggested above and all went well (or so I thought) on the Wordpress and plugin updates.

However, when I open my Wordpress dashboard I can see all the options on the left hand side but when I click on the options, e.g. Posts, Media, Pages, etc. I get a blank screen.

The only one that seems to work is 'Settings' and 'Tools'. Is there something I need to do here following an update or does it take some time to reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

It should update instantly.

Do you have FTP access? If so, you can (briefly) turn Debug to On in the wp-config.php file.

In the wp-config.php file, change this from
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);

to
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

More info here.

This will display error messages on those blank pages. It will help you figure out what is wrong.

If you need help, drop me a PM. I work daily with Wordpress sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The first thing I'd do in this kind of scenario is upload a fresh copy of latest WordPress files (via FTP). That'll overwrite any corrupted files in wp-includes which could be an issue.

Trojan wrote: »
    The first thing I'd do in this kind of scenario is upload a fresh copy of latest WordPress files (via FTP). That'll overwrite any corrupted files in wp-includes which could be an issue.

Buysellswap very kindly helped me debug. All help much appreciated guys and gals!

One thing I've noticed since the update is a really annoying text line in a few places on my site (left hand side and bottom of page). It says "Share and Enjoy" and has a small image that doesn't display properly. Can anyone help me get rid of it? Thanks!

Advertisement