Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to install apps on external memory rather than system memory

• 20-02-2013 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

I have an android phone.I have a 1GB card card inserted into it.
    How can I stop apps being installed onto the system memory rather than the external memory (1gb)
    The reason I ask this is because i have no space left on my system memory.
    I want to install programs on my external memory.
    Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Make, Model & Operating System on the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Go into application manager and see if you can move some of the already installed apps to the SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭thebourke

HTC Wildfire phone
    android version 2.3.5

I went into application manager but with some of the apps's, nit doesn't allow me to move them to external storage....total system memory is 132mb with 18mb free...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

download app2sd

open it and let it scan your apps. it will then tell you what apps can be moved to your sd card.

Note that it doesn't move the entire app you will still be left with some data that the app needs on the internal storage but a large chunk will be moved over.

I think 2.3 supports it i think 2.1 or 2.2 is the first versions that allowed this

also there are some apps that CANNOT be moved. app2sd will move data files from whatever apps can be moved but not system data etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

make sure your music and photos are on the external memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Do you have System Settings/Storage?

oh and just one follow up you cannot (i think) directly install to SD card. it has to install on internal memory first

why is the system memory so small?132mb
    is this the same on all types of phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

If you're feeling adventurous you can investigate the following...

Root your phone
    Create ext partition on the sd card
    Install an app like S2E
    Move app data to sd card

That's just a brief overview. If you're interested in learning more I recommend you look up the xda developers forums, look for a sub forum specific to your phone. There should be plenty of reading up to do on there ;)

• Advertisement

thebourke wrote: »
    why is the system memory so small?132mb
    is this the same on all types of phones?

only older phones, usually anything running android 2.2 or thereabouts had very little memory and were budget kinda phones. it was the same with my Europa.

Advertisement