Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting Incident in Newport, Co Tipp

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

The Colm Hayes Show RTE2FM 19/01/12 - "Should every Garda on the street carry a gun?" 84% of public polled said Yes. Interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

WilcoOut wrote: »
    i told a NYPD guy bout our stabvests and he said whats a stab vest? i explained what it was and asked did he not have one. he said 'why would i need that, i have a glock!'

He was obviously some guy who happened to wear an NYPD t shirt cause the cops have been wearing vests for years longer than Gardai. Proof was in the offer:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/cwcwgbcwojsn/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Question,

I require garda backup/ support / presence (whatever) regularly to do my job and am always relieved & greatfull to see them on scene.

Is my life at risk due to the current lack of deterrant / firepower currently at the disposal of the guards when the SHTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭tom traubert

Dude

Your life is at risk every time you poke your nose outside the door. Hell, even before you get that far the kettle or toaster could do for you....................

Nah, only jokin'. I suppose only the Gardai you meet regularly as you do this work could accurately answer your question. Ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Theres a seperate forum for those, i think ,

regards.....cc30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Eru wrote: »
    He was obviously some guy who happened to wear an NYPD t shirt cause the cops have been wearing vests for years longer than Gardai. Proof was in the offer:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/cwcwgbcwojsn/

in fairness to him he was retired, maybe they didnt have em in his day........

cheers for the link dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

d3exile wrote: »
    It's not 1922 anymore.

90years on and the scrotes on the street are a hell of a lot tougher than the public seem to understand.

Yeah I mean in 1922 it wasn,t like there was a ongoing civil war where unarmed guards in a newly formed police force with no institutional memory were enforcing the law for a newly formed state against hardened veterans of the war of independence.

What the guards of that era had to contend with unarmed is almost unimaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Whole thing is a total non arguement folks . . .

Did ye all miss the bit where the Dept of Justice has recommended withdrawing firearms from hundreds of Gardai to save money on Bullets and Paper Targets.

There is no way in hell they will sanction the millions of euro if would cost to train and arm all Gardaí

All they care about is €€€€€, not lives, or safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Corcioch wrote: »
    There is no way in hell they will sanction the millions of euro if would cost to train and arm all Gardaí

Sadly several factors would have to come into play before the thought would be given serious consideration.

1) More people to be killed/injured through use of firearms by another

2) Uniform Gardaí to be present during an incident (or two) of 1) however are helpless to do anything about it.

3) Gardaí themselves to be shot.

4) A minister or a senior ranking official to be shot.

This would then require a Garda Commissioner with a lot of belief in his men and women so that s/he can stand up for them to the Minister and demand better training/equipment be issued in order to protect those on the streets.

That of course would then require a Minister who isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes in.

The Garda Inspectorate has done a hell of a lot of work for AGS and I'm grateful that they're there as no one else was willing to tell the senior ranks and Government that we're in the 21st Century. A 21st Century that requires equipment meant for modern day policing.

But alas; we're lucky that we got the Pepper Spray!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

5 ) The rank and file want to be armed ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

#5 is less important: They'll wear what they're told.

Besides, opinions on #5 can vary greatly depending on whether that particular member of the rank and file find themselves in a situation where the bad guy has a firearm and a demonstrable intent to use it. Matters of principle tend to take a back seat to practical realities when the two come into conflict. Of course, by then it might be a terminal lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

FGR wrote: »
    That of course would then require a Minister who isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes in.

Ministers willing to stand up and do something right, something difficult and without reward?! alas this is Ireland we haven't had ministers like that for years! Willie O'Dea did wonders for the Defence Forces but I think he's the exception...

agree with you 100% though, especially about the inspectorate, made some really good calls, if only those at the top listened to them.

Zambia wrote: »
    5 ) The rank and file want to be armed ?
    I think the tide is slowly changing on that opinion, with incidents like this (armed incidents that responding gardaí are helpless to control) becoming more frequent, members don't want to be the ones caught out, we have families to go home to

Advertisement