Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking In [Fox]

• 06-04-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,526 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.fox.com/breakingin/

BREAKING IN is an offbeat half-hour workplace comedy about a high-tech security firm that takes extreme - and often questionable - measures to sell their protection services. Created by Adam F. Goldberg and Seth Gordon, the series centers on a team of uniquely skilled oddball geniuses hand-picked to work for a manipulative mastermind.
    Contra Security, corporate America's answer to "The A-Team," gives clients a sense of security by first ripping it away. The firm is led by OZ (Christian Slater), a larger-than-life head honcho who is a man of mystery and master of manipulation. The members of the odd squad include alluring bad girl MELANIE (Odette Annable), who is in charge of lock-picking, safe-cracking and heart-breaking; and CASH (Alphonso McAuley), a fanboy who specializes in strategy, logistics and office pranks only a mad genius could think up.
    Oz's newest recruit, plucked right out of college, is lovable and charming computer hacker CAMERON PRICE (Bret Harrison). Unfortunately for Cameron, cracking into state-of-the-art security systems is a lot easier than dealing with his co-workers. Between Melanie's sex appeal and Cash's hazing, Cameron has more than a few obstacles to overcome if he wants to cement his status as part of the team and become Oz's go-to guy.
    BREAKING IN is produced by Happy Madison Productions, Adam F. Goldberg Productions and Sethsquatch, Inc. in association with Sony Pictures Television. Goldberg, Gordon and Doug Robinson ("Rules of Engagement") serve as executive producers, while Goldberg serves as writer. The pilot was directed by Gordon.

Promo Trailer

Starts tonight on Fox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This actually doesn't look bad.... a bit goofy but it's got a strong comedic cast!

The problem is it's on Fox.. and as we know, Fox expect FAAAAR too much.

This could happily sit with mediocre ratings for a season or two on a few other stations - but NOT on Fox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Looks like it could be a funny one so I'll add it to my list :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really hope it does well - even before it was picked up to series it was the comedy pilot that interested me most this time last year.
    What's it doing on a Wednesday night on Fox though - surely they should've put it following Raising Hope on a Tuesday.

What's it doing on a Wednesday night on Fox though - surely they should've put it following Raising Hope on a Tuesday.
    Yep.. and the problem is it's got 'American Idol' as it's lead-in.

So it's ratings will inevitably look quite hideous next to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It might have been a good -not great- show, if I didn't find the majority of the cast so irritating, writing is pretty weak too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wasn't great, but wasn't awful either. Definitely has potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

that whole trailer went buy with very little breaking in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Crap....nothing else to add, well...Odette Yustman is still hot, Rosenbaum is unreconisable in this!, Leverage 2.0, Reaper dude seems to play the same character in every job he gets.

It wasn't terrible.. but it had a bit too many catchphrases ("I'll allow it", "boom goes the dynamite" etc) and not many likeable characters.

Still, the writing wasn't awful. It's better than a lot of comedies as of late.

Will give it a few more episodes.

Suprised you didn't mention the ratings RD (it did decent - 3.5 adults 18-49 rating and 9.9 million viewers). ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Basq wrote: »
    It wasn't terrible.. but it had a bit too many catchphrases ("I'll allow it", "boom goes the dynamite" etc) and not many likeable characters.

Still, the writing wasn't awful. It's better than a lot of comedies as of late.

Will give it a few more episodes.

Suprised you didn't mention the ratings RD (it did decent - 3.5 adults 18-49 rating and 9.9 million viewers). ;)

It's strange, you say the writing wasn't awful, but you mention part of what made me draw the conclusion that the writing was weak (too many catchphrases, quite heavy handed use of them at that)...different strokes I guess :)

• Advertisement

I'm a fan of catchphrases when used right.. catchphrases can work very well in comedy (Gob's "COME ON", The Office's "That’s what she said" etc.).

But the thing about catchphrases is catchphrases become just that when they pop up again and again in recurring episodes.

What I don't like it writers who think "oh, we need to give them catchphrases.. we'll just have them repeat a phrase a couple of times in the first episode to let the audience know 'THIS' will be their catchphrase.".

I thought the writing was still stronger than a lot of US comedies right now - try and watch an episode of 'Perfect Couples' or 'Traffic Light'.. and you'll know what I mean.

This could be a grower!

I'm a fan of catchphrases when used right.. catchphrases can work very well in comedy (Gob's "COME ON", The Office's "That’s what she said" etc.).

But the thing about catchphrases is catchphrases become just that when they pop up again and again in recurring episodes.

What I don't like it writers who think "oh, we need to give them catchphrases.. we'll just have them repeat a phrase a couple of times in the first episode to let the audience know 'THIS' will be their catchphrase."

Well, we're 100% on the same page there :D however, I don't subscribe to the logic that not as weak as something else = not weak...but I do get what you are saying.

I'm going to give it a couple of more episodes to see if it finds it's feet, it was only the first episode after all :D

so this wasn't made the same people as reaper,
    this same guy has various tasks to complete with his zany mates, a mischievious father figure and hot girl to pine after... hmmm familiar

and its wierd how the merged his introduction with his first gig, i mean breaking into college professors computer which has the password password, doesn't actually set him up to look like a tech genuis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,526 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yep.. and the problem is it's got 'American Idol' as it's lead-in.

So it's ratings will inevitably look quite hideous next to it.

Slater was on Idol last week with his daughter

Thought the second episode was an improvement on the first - still see a lot of potential for it and am enjoying it so far. Definitely think if its picked up for a second season that they should pair it with Raising Hope.

Fox have cancelled this.. the jinx of Christian Slater continues!

I wasn't really warming to the show to be honest.

Alphonso McAuley reminded me too much of a poor man's Donald Glover. Thought he was the real weak link in the cast!

Bret Harrison was good as always and Slater was decent given quite a limited presence in the show.

Not too bothered!

Slater seems to be a show killer, I genuinely like him as am actor and enjoyed the first seasons of his trio of cancelled shows, each one had a lot of potential alas they were cancelled before they could find their feet. Breaking In was doomed from the start, it's the kind of show you want coupled with Raising Hope and not a show which can pull in an audience of tens of millions of viewers, a tiny percentage of whom Breaking In is aimed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Seriously, I was actually enjoying this show, it wasn't amazing but it was a reasonably enjoyable 20 mins. I enjoyed all the pop culture references too, but maybe I'm alone ...

Christian Slater = Summer Glau?

oh f off, its not christian slater show, its the guy from reaper playing the the ordinary joe pining after a girl like he plays in every show, i'll miss the eye candy, and just realised who dutch is its Michael Rosenbaum, lex from smallville now theres a guy who isnt' type cast.

• Advertisement

Looks like it might not be over for the show just yet..
    'Breaking In' not cancelled by Fox?

Fox is reportedly in negotiations to renew sitcom Breaking In for a second season.

The series, which stars Christian Slater as the head of a high-tech security firm, was apparently axed by the network earlier this week.

However, Deadline now reports that Fox is in talks with Sony Pictures TV to bring the show back for a second year.

The pilot for Breaking In was originally rejected by Fox last May, with the network choosing to give series orders to Raising Hope, Running Wilde and Traffic Light. The network later revisited its decision and commissioned more episodes in November.

The most recent episode of Breaking In attracted a total of 7.65m viewers. A final decision on the show's future is expected to be made next week, after the 2011 upfronts.

In recent days, Fox has cancelled Lie to Me, Human Target and The Chicago Code, and picked up new pilots Alcatraz, The Finder, I Hate My Teenage Daughter and The New Girl.

Source: DigitalSpy

It's got a new lease of life and season 2 all but a done deal, but....what is gonna happen?...Odette Anabel (Yustman) is appearing on House????

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-to-bring-back-breaking-in-with-13-ep-order-buy-new-adam-goldberg-comedy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭jmcc

Wondered when they'd make "Sneakers" into a series. Shame it only took something short of twenty years. :)

Regards...jmcc

Source TV Line

The Contra Security workplace will look a bit different when Fox’s Breaking In breaks out its second season.
    Confirmed to return as series regulars to the caper comedy — which was canceled back in May but then plucked from the ashes as a midseason replacement — are Christian Slater (as Contra boss man Oz), Bret Harrison (Cameron) and Alphonso McAuley (Cash).
    Plus, as TVLine exclusively reported last month, Emmy winner Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) is coming on board as a Season 2 regular, playing Oz’s own boss.
    As for the rest of the ensemble: TVLine has learned that Odette Annable, who during Breaking In‘s brief canceled state joined the cast of Fox’s House, will reprise her role of savvy, sexy Melanie in “multiple episodes” but not reclaim series regular status. Meanwhile, Michael Rosenbaum — who in Season 1 guest-starred as Mel’s doofus beau, Dutch – is not set to return, due to his preexisting commitment to direct a feature film that he wrote. However, we hear the Smallville alum could guest-star at some later point.
    Breaking In kicks off its new season on March 6.

Gone again :(

The addition of Megan Mullally hasnt helped the show

It was woeful this season anyways.. and Mullally was terrible in it!

Playing catch up on season two and after one episode I'm ready to leave it. It committed the mortal sin that any comedy can, there was a complete lack of laughs. In fact the only genuinely fun moment was Roddy Piper's blink and you'll miss it cameo.

Megan Mullally is absolutely woeful, I mean she's beyond bead in this and makes me hate her more than ever. She's not funny, she can't act and she's just irritating. Every time shes on screen I want to hang myself.

Most likely going to stick with the rest of the episodes simply for Slater, the man is immensely watchable and deserves a show that will go the distance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement