Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu Touch for Nexus Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

nedd wrote: »
    Its here and can be installed. I have a HTC but would love to give this a go.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install
    Also have a HTC so hopefully somebody will come up with a way for us to test out Ubuntu too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Have a Nexus 7 and would love to try this... But I'm just a little bit scared :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Dammer wrote: »
    Have a Nexus 7 and would love to try this... But I'm just a little bit scared :D

Its not for the faint-hearted. If you know your way around Titanium Backup and have experience flashing ROM's then there is nothing to worry about.

I assume there will be no way to keep your data if you flash Ubuntu though. So you will be starting from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

With multirom for the n7 could we dual boot this and android?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Multiboot sounds awesome to me, keeping android and using this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Some of it's based on Cyanogen so as more work goes in to this more phones will be supported, eventually any phone that cyanogen works on will mean the same for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

It's been almost 2 years since this thread was started and recently Ubuntu Touch pushed a close to finished developer build.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-Touch-RTM-Update-10-Important-Milestone-Achieved-Screenshot-Tour-466165.shtml

Has anyone tried the new OS out?
    I'm thinking of giving it a go on my Nexus 7, seems like the installation process isn't any more involved than installing any Android ROM is.
    http://developer.ubuntu.com/start/ubuntu-for-devices/installing-ubuntu-for-devices/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Guess there isn't much interest here :pac:

Just to share my thoughts.
    Flashing the OS was very easy, the guide on the Ubuntu developer website is very detailed. It's no more difficult than flashing any ROM.

The OS seemed to be stable, I had no real problems with it. The dropdown menu seemed to cause a little bit of lag when pulled down, but that was it.
    I did find the pull down menu a little bit awkward to use. The menu has multiple 'tabs' which you scroll through by sliding your finger left or right.

I've uninstalled it already, the reason being, it's purely a development release, from Googling around RTM seems to mean this build is meant for device manufactures and people currently developing the OS itself or apps.
    There is almost no apps available apart from the ~15 default ones, GMail, Calculator, etc...

Advertisement